Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps First Edition boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Back in 2003, Topps released boxes of "First Edition" boxes of 2003 Topps Football. The cards were identical to regular base cards, but had a silver "1st Edition" logo embossed on the front of the cards. The boxes were released in 2-box "cases" as part of the series release. Each box had 20 packs of 10 cards each. Distributors who bought directly from Topps were forced to buy one HOBBY case and one FIRST EDITION case for every case of JUMBO they bought. The boxes only contained base cards: there were no insert cards at all.

They continued this with 03-04 Basketball, and released their 2004 Baseball, Football, and Basketball cards this way as well. They also released Topps Total Football this way in 2004, 2005, and 2007 (although calling the 2007 version "Copper"), and released 2006 Topps Update Baseball and 2007 Topps Update Baseball as First Edition versions as well. For whatever reason, they skipped out on 2006 Football, 2006 Baseball, and 06-07 Basketball, before returning to the idea with their 2007 releases. However, I believe that some of these cards were later printed as insert parallels, rather than in their own boxes.

Football: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2004 Topps Total, 2005 Topps Total, 2007 Topps Total Copper
Baseball: 2004 (First and Second Series), 2005 (First and Second Series), 2007 (First and Second Series), 2006 Topps Update, 2007 Topps Update
Basketball: 03-04, 04-05, 05-06, 07-08

I really liked the product because it beckoned back to the old days of Topps with no insert cards. Although these were regular releases, Beckett doesn't acknowledge any of the cards as rookie cards. Instead, it treats them as parallels.

With the release of 2010 Topps Baseball in the next few days, I sure wish there were some First Edition boxes to be opened as a low cost alternative to see the new cards.

David

Craig Smith

Aug 13, 2008
Bemus Point, NY
David, if you would like a 2-box case of 2005 Bowman First Edition, PM me your address and I will get them to you. I found them while cleaning out my card room that is going to be completely redone. All cards found are going out the door and a bedroom being created.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for breaking the down what sets and years did or didn't have the 1st edition parallels. After picking up the Jack Wilson 1st editions, I decided to try and pick up the entire Pirate team sets. I liked the concept, but keeping track of which years had the various 1st edition or limited edition versions could get quite confusing.

Jul 30, 2009
You guys might have liked them but from a dealers point of view, they sold as well as ice cubes in Alaska during January.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
goldenegg1 said:
1998 Topps football had them as well, they were a silver border as opposed the gold border,

and for a few years after commanded good money, especially the Manning and Moss.

now for topps trivia, does anyone else remember the topps action flats? One figure with a card in the back. I still
have the Peyton Mannin RC.

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.