Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Graders - Is there a certain Loupe you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
I'm looking to pick up a new loupe and see a ton listed on eBay. I want something with good magnification and a light. I was wondering if there is a particular brand that may be better than others. I see a lot listed with really low BIN's and would really appreciate some help from you guys here at FCB. Also when handling your cards would you rather look at them through a top load or semi rigid or remove them from all protection? I am pretty OCD about my stuff and just wondered what others practice.
Thanks in advance!
Aaron

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Unless you are grading vintage cards, a loupe is overrated. A loupe can help detect minor surface wrinkles or restoration of vintage cards....but if you are grading chrome cards then all you need is a well light room. After you grade enough cards, you get the feel for things and it takes less than a minute to determine if a card is gradable.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I have 20/20 vision.

That said, before I bought a 10X loupe to grade my modern stuff (Chromes, etc), my results weren't nearly as good as they are now.

It's worth the investment.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
You have both been thanked... I'll just stick to what I have been doing then. I use a loupe but it has no light, that is the main thing that interested me, actually! I have never had what I would consider a disappointing percentage of gold labels but I have been going over everything with a fine tooth comb and leaving nothing to chance. One minute would be a dream compared to what I have put myself through.. ha! Maybe, I will get that good sometime!

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
i am blind as a bat and have never used a loupe. Probably graded 300+ cards in 2009 with very favorable results.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I bought a loupe a long time ago to learn why cards received certain grades. I bought a bunch of $0.99 BGS slabs and cracked them open and studied the cards. Once I realized what they were looking at, I realized I could see them with my naked eye in bright light. The only time I use my loupe now is to view slides of insects and other objects with my daughters.

David

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
If I can add something:

I would rather have the right lighting than a loupe.

I use halogen lighting.....I have it on the track lighting in my office and over the range in the kitchen......I can't stress to you how important that is.

I went to a show the other day and a card I bought I thought was perfect for the surface.....I brought it home and looked at it leaning over the stove.....wow, not even close to what I thought.......I totally missed a line in a xfractor even though I was LOOKING for it under regular lighting.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Jaypers said:
I have 20/20 vision.

That said, before I bought a 10X loupe to grade my modern stuff (Chromes, etc), my results weren't nearly as good as they are now.

It's worth the investment.

Agree 100%

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts