Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

semi OT. copyright law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I use to work for a company

http://newspaperarchive.com/

with newspapers any thing that predates 1923 is open for anyone to use. That said if a company like just, tristar, razor or donruss wanted to make a vintage player set, would they be able to get around the mlb rules and use logos in pictures, if they predated 1923?

not sure why I was thinking about this, just thought it could be interesting and allow the companies to do sets for the old timers.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Great question. I would wonder if the use as a collectible as opposed to a "news" item would create any problems. It's presumed that the copyright to the logos would still apply.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Logos are usually trademarked. I'm not sure how long a TM lasts or if it can be renewed, but I'm pretty sure the card companies could not get away with this. Also, there is a difference between editorial usage and corporate usage when it comes to copyright.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
Curious huh?

Hello Mr Bank President

I am not going to rob your bank, but hypothetically speaking how would I do it without getting caught. No please, spare no detail.... here draw it out on this floor plan I have.

Grow up.

You were asking how you can defraud the USPS without them knowing.

He was asking about a copyright law and if card companies are able to use them to produce cards.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
Jeff N. said:
Curious huh?

Hello Mr Bank President

I am not going to rob your bank, but hypothetically speaking how would I do it without getting caught. No please, spare no detail.... here draw it out on this floor plan I have.

just a matter of time before the real Jeff N. steps out. oh wait, this is mr. i've changed my ways jeff novell isn't it?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
cgilmo said:
Jeff

You didn't ask what the laws were. You asked, how can I cheat the system.

I would never even think of attempting to cheat the system. I don't need to ask the laws, I KNOW the laws. I asked what mechanisms were in place. Period. Not how to cheat the system, but how do people who attempt to cheat the system get caught. Out of curiousity, just like the OP. QUestion answered.

To answer the OP, obviously the player or the player's estate would need to provide authorization for the player or player's image to be utilized on a card. This came to light with the recent LEgendary Cuts issue.

As for team logos, trademark registration rights can last indefinitely if the owner continues to use the mark to identify goods or services. ASsuming that the owner assigns the mark to companies like Mitchell and Ness, or other jersey manufacturers, it's very likely that the TM did not expire and, as such, stay with the team or MLB - whomever holds the right.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts