Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your LEAST Favorite Refractor version??

Refractor Type

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Make it similar to 02 BCDP

Just have:

Ref/500
X-frac/150
Gold/50
Red/5
Super/1

Instead of 10 different refractor types which devalues the cards, doing it this way would increase prices again and add stability and a better sense of rarity

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I've never really been a fan of the xfractors. All the others are simple and one color, then the xfractors just stand out. And now with the newer ones, you have to tilt them in the light to right way to even see that they are xfractors.

I think they should replace xfractors with either purple or green, or just eliminate them altogether

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
I like the original X-fractor, aka the 1997 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractor.

97bbaref.jpg

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
X-Fractors are FUgly and don't really fit into the color theme. I did like the old school X-Fractors that were 2002 Bowman Product(s)

I have to admit I also think SUperfractors are FUgly.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Orange. Not much of a difference between gold and oranges. Pretty much makes a category of gold/orange /75.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
2 reasons I don't like Xfractors

1) there will ALWAYS be an issue with the "Xfractor Line" that grading takes into account, even though it's a BS by-product of the technology and I think SHOULDN'T count against the surface grade

2) the lines don't for "X"s fir chissake, they are boxes. The "X" only shows up if you tilt them and just accept that you're looking at an x. The overriding patterns is boxes ::facepalm::

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
Where's the option for not wanting to lose any of them?

Why would you want to take away blues and X's and oranges, which just deny you of the possibility of getting a much more valuable hit?

If you don't like Xfractors, don't buy them or collect them. To me, they're like a little niche that you can collect all by themselves, and if you get a super clean one(psa10 or BGS 9.5 man) I think they look awesome in a slab.

If anything, I'm all for new colors. Throw in yellows numbered to 10(just don't make them look like golds), or black numbered to 75, etc. But for someone to actually wish for some hits from a box to be removed just sounds opposite-of-smart to me.

I don't think Topps should get rid of any of them, and I really hope they don't!

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I don't see a point to the purples (and green's of the past). But, I loves me some X's as they are the toughest grade making it all the more special to have a 9.5 X of your favorite prospect.

I actually like it the way it is now without the purples.

You all are a bunch of X-haters!

:)

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Zithy said:
Where's the option for not wanting to lose any of them?

Why would you want to take away blues and X's and oranges, which just deny you of the possibility of getting a much more valuable hit?

If you don't like Xfractors, don't buy them or collect them. To me, they're like a little niche that you can collect all by themselves, and if you get a super clean one(psa10 or BGS 9.5 man) I think they look awesome in a slab.

If anything, I'm all for new colors. Throw in yellows numbered to 10(just don't make them look like golds), or black numbered to 75, etc. But for someone to actually wish for some hits from a box to be removed just sounds opposite-of-smart to me.

I don't think Topps should get rid of any of them, and I really hope they don't!

The title of the thread is "your least favorite refractor version," and people are expressing their opinions as such. You have to remember however, there is a finite amount of money floating around that is being spent on baseball cards. To assume that adding new color variations to the Chrome lineup will have no affect on the pre-existing parallels is flawed. In the end, everything balances out. By taking away 1 or 2 parallels, the value of every other parallel or base auto is increased to balance out the demand. Remember how desirable xfractors were before the days of orange refractors and blue refractors? You could go even a step further and say that refractors and base refractors were more desirable before the addition of new color.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
X-Fractors. I have not seen a Purple-Refractor, yet (in person). It is my least favorite, but I wouldn't wish for it to be discontinued.

However, the fact that my Charlie Blackmon is such a weak super, makes me want to forget about the Superfractor-tech in '09.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Don't understand the lack of love for the Xfractors, although I don't care for the newer ones.

freemanxfrac.jpg

07 is my favorite because they did the card and the border.

Couldn't get rid of Orange either, because it is my favorite color. :D

If anything, I would say get rid of the regular ones, especially if they aren't numbered.

Members online

Latest posts