Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Questions/concerns about BDP AFLAC buybacks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I've pulled two AFLAC buybacks - Robert Stock and Max Stassi. Upon closer inspection with a 10x loupe, both look 'off' to me. They look like counterfeits; or maybe a better description...reprints.

Both look like the picture quality is extremely poor. They look like '80's counterfeits. I don't have any original AFLAC cards to compare them to...but comparing them to base Topps, the quality difference is glaring.

Does anyone have an original and a buyback for side by side comparison? I'd like to know if there's any discrepancy.

Also, most of the '06-'08 AFLACs had print runs of 500 or so that were handed out at the game, right? How in the hell did Topps buy back 35-50% of the print run?

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
they arent buy backs. topps had the players sign them and they kept them.

then they inserted them into packs of draft

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Justin, they were distributed at the game. I highly doubt they were printed, cut, and collated the day of the game.

Good point on why they look like a poor quality rush job though. I still question how they managed to buy back half the print run

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
JoshHamilton said:
Justin, they were distributed at the game. I highly doubt they were printed, cut, and collated the day of the game.

Good point on why they look like a poor quality rush job though. I still question how they managed to buy back half the print run

They just didn't release them. They kept them so that they could be signed and inserted into BDP.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
There was an article on how they made these cards in an old beckett. I don't think they used their usual printer to make these cards- they had some computer program that had the card design, and they just took pictures of the players and inserted the pictures into the card frame, then printed them out from the computer, almost like those upper deck "homemade personalized" cards.

One day, those will be easily reprintable.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
They are not "buybacks" the AFLAC players get there pictures taken and the cards are printed the week of the game. Topps then takes roughly half of them and gives them out at the game the other half are signed and Topps keeps them until they can distribute them into packs.

Members online