Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who here remembers 80's Topps card patterns/sequences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Anyone remember these?

When I was a kid, especially in 1987, I knew just about every pattern/sequence for a significant player/rookie.

In other words, Tim Leary nearly always came before a Mattingly card so if you saw a Leary on top of a cello or a rak, odds were that the next card was Mattingly. I bought so many 1987 Topps that I learned the players who came well before Tim Leary (and others) which aided me on stockpiling certain rookie and stars.

So today as Im unsorting a massive 55,000 card lot I just bought from another store, I came upon what looked like a nearly "untouched" vending box full of cards which were moved into a plain white box.

As I flipped through them, I noticed all the patterns I remembered as a kid were still intact with many I totally forgot about. Leary before Mattingly, Ken Landreaux before Bo, Floyd Bannister before Clark, Vern Ruhle before Pete Inc., Gary Lucas before Eric The Red and so on.

I was so giddy about it I started jotting them down in front of a friend who just rolled his eyes as I explained. Ah the memories.

Jul 30, 2009
Forgot to mention that Topps STILL uses patterns for Bowman, at least the prospects.

If you ever open boxes upon boxes of a Bowman issue and later on sort out the prospects (and maybe even the stars) youll notice that patterns/sequences are still used.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Same thing happened to me when I busted a dozen or so of 82 fleer stash a couple years ago. I've been trying to save all hundreds of boxes of wax from 82-86, but ripped into a ton a few years ago. I'll have to find the note-pad(wierd that I wrote down the sequences too) But I'm having trouble remembering who came right before ripken. I'll check and get back

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pack Searchers!!!!!!!
Just kidding. I used to look for good 1988 Score cards like Mattingly and Gooden through the see-through packs.
And most of the '80s Fleer cards were sequenced.
I remember '87 and '88 Fleer wax boxes had no doubles. 540 cards, no dupes.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I used to remember the pattern for 1985 topps mcgwire, 1987 fleer will clark, 1987 topps mattingly, 1988 fleer gregg jefferies, and 1986-7 fleer michael jordan.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
ThoseBackPages said:
'85 Topps

Charlie Moore = Dwight Gooden

oh to be 14 again.

Clemens was about 8 cards above Gooden in that sequence. There was a Jeff Leonard All Star card in that sequence as well. but I don't know if it was above or below Gooden.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I remember getting kinda upset when I'd see the collation patterns for sale in the Beckett classifieds. I miss reading the classifieds.

But yeah 1989 Fleer has them too. I still open this regularly and having the collation pattern memorized for Bill Ripken, really takes away the fun when your hunting for that one card only.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't remember noticing specific patters (I was a bit young to process that sort of thing), but I DO remember getting a couple packs with an inordinate amount of doubles. One particular pair of packs from 87 Topps stands out in my mind as being nearly identical. Sucks when you're 8 and rarely got cards!

Members online

No members online now.