Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone win anything from Clean Sweep's latest auction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Prices seemed pretty low tonight (at least on the items I was going after), and was wondering if anyone picked up any deals.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I won one item, not necessarily one at the top of my list, but one on the list nonetheless.

They had a bunch of nice HOFer autos on 3x5's and I was in "2nd place" on several of them. I could really only afford a couple now anyways so glad to cross one of my list......

I won an autographed 3x5 of Hall-of-Fame umpire Billy Evans- great signature in my opinion!

http://www.csauctions.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000298586

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Nice Evans Scott! I've come to really like GPCs that are addressed and postmarked. Harkens back to an earlier time of TTM collecting.

I had my eye on several things in the CS auction, but the items I was pondering went higher than I had expected.

I did just purchase an auto on the bay that I can't wait to receive...

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Nice Evans!

MaineMule said:
I won one item, not necessarily one at the top of my list, but one on the list nonetheless.

They had a bunch of nice HOFer autos on 3x5's and I was in "2nd place" on several of them. I could really only afford a couple now anyways so glad to cross one of my list......

I won an autographed 3x5 of Hall-of-Fame umpire Billy Evans- great signature in my opinion!

http://www.csauctions.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000298586

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I ended up with:

jan10con483a.jpg

Nolan Ryan / Jerry Koosman Autographed Rookie Card - $371

While it may be a bit more than what they normally go for on eBay, I am 99 out of 100 % sure that this is actually the Milton Bradley version of the card, and not the normal 1968 Topps version. PSA doesn't note the difference between the 2, and the white strip at the top and colors on the back of the card make me think that it's the MB card. I'll send it in to BGS/JSA when it arrives, since they identify the difference between the 2. If it is, sweet! If not, oh well it's still a great card to have.

jan10con286.jpg

1951 Ringisde Antonio Rocca PSA 7 - $39
I've been debating for a while now whether or not to start that set. I figured I'd start with one of the wrestlers in it, and go from there.

jan10con539.jpg

Len Koenecke signed page JSA/BGS Slabbed - $200
Most of the signed Koenecke items I've seen have been team signed pages or cuts. From all appearances this is a single-signed album page with the newspaper photo above, it's the closest I'll probably ever get to a signed card of his. That it's already slabbed by JSA/BGS is pretty sweet as well. For those that don't know the Len Koenecke story, check out:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Len_Koenecke

jan10con487a.jpg

1983 Donruss Hall of Fame Joe Cronin - $100
I always seem to end up with lots of these signed 1983 Donruss cards, and decided that maybe I should try for a set. If I do, Cronin will be the toughie, so I figured I should grab it now. If not, it's alwasy good to have something extra you don't ave any attachment to in case you need some quick $.

jan10con228c.jpg

Lot of 4500 autographed cards - $1242
What can I say - I'm a sucker for autographed cards at less than .30 a card. They had 2 lots up like this. I wanted this one to be able to keep the Jeter for my personal collection.

The one item I wish I had deeper pockets to be able to go after more:
jan10con180a.jpg

Babe Ruth signed Golf Ball - Sold for $1331 - if $ were no object, I'd have bid more on it.

Mighty Bombjack said:
[quote="Sean_C":348l2bos]Prices seemed pretty low tonight (at least on the items I was going after), and was wondering if anyone picked up any deals.

So did you get what you were after?[/quote:348l2bos]

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Great stuff Sean, thanks for sharing.

And thanks for the Len Koenecke link; I'd never heard of him before and it's always nice to learn some baseball history.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Thanks for the kind words Wayne and Sean. I too love the simplicity and clarity of a sig. on a GPC (and index card). The Evans also has a small photo of him :D

Wayne, looking forward to seeing your EBAY pick-up!! You are closing in on 200!!

Sean, great pick-ups for you as well. I saw several of those lots as well.

Check out this item for some interesting information about the untimely and gruesome death of a player....

http://www.csauctions.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000298521

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
MaineMule said:
Wayne, looking forward to seeing your EBAY pick-up!! You are closing in on 200!!

Yeah, this one puts me at 198!

I'm going to Cooperstown with my dad in March, and I think it would be cool to coincide the purchase of number 200 with that trip. Though I imagine that autos in Cooperstown, if there were any I needed, would be terribly overpriced, so it would most likely still be an online purchase. Did you look for autos when you were there?

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Certainly not a way that I would want to go. I have a friend that is working on the 70 Topps set in signed form, and gave him a heads-up that the Hill was listed. I haven't heard if he was the high bidder or not.

MaineMule said:
Thanks for the kind words Wayne and Sean. I too love the simplicity and clarity of a sig. on a GPC (and index card). The Evans also has a small photo of him :D

Check out this item for some interesting information about the untimely and gruesome death of a player....

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Sean_C said:
Certainly not a way that I would want to go. I have a friend that is working on the 70 Topps set in signed form, and gave him a heads-up that the Hill was listed. I haven't heard if he was the high bidder or not.

MaineMule said:

Whoever purchased that bad boy needs to track Paul Ratliff down and have him sign it as well.

Certainly NOT TTM, though!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Mighty Bombjack said:
MaineMule said:

I'm going to Cooperstown with my dad in March, and I think it would be cool to coincide the purchase of number 200 with that trip. Though I imagine that autos in Cooperstown, if there were any I needed, would be terribly overpriced, so it would most likely still be an online purchase. Did you look for autos when you were there?

....no, I did not look for autos when we were there. We got other souvieniers (like t shirts and engraved bats for the kids) instead and just enjoyed the town and Hall.

You haven't shared who is 198 ;) .........I'm now at 178 which includes a pending order from PSA for authentication/slabbing.....one in particular I have all fingers and toes crossed on........

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
MaineMule said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
MaineMule said:

....no, I did not look for autos when we were there. We got other souvieniers (like t shirts and engraved bats for the kids) instead and just enjoyed the town and Hall.

You haven't shared who is 198 ;) .........I'm now at 178 which includes a pending order from PSA for authentication/slabbing.....one in particular I have all fingers and toes crossed on........

I will post 198 after it comes in...

Have you ever used Premier Auctions? They have a ton of index cards ending today. Nothing real high-end or rare, but if you were looking to add or upgrade any of the more common guys, you should check it out.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I do buy from Premier, but only do so when I am comfortable with the signature. I was going to go after the big 6000 + card lot they have up, but when it jumped over $2300 + BP, I said good bye. Now I really wish I had gone after that Ruth ball a bit harder (I figured I'd get that lot for around a grand or so, and held off on bidding again on the Ruth ball as a result).

Mighty Bombjack said:
MaineMule said:
[quote="Mighty Bombjack":3kooh8sq]
MaineMule said:

I will post 198 after it comes in...

Have you ever used Premier Auctions? They have a ton of index cards ending today. Nothing real high-end or rare, but if you were looking to add or upgrade any of the more common guys, you should check it out.[/quote:3kooh8sq]

brumbach

Nice pickups Sean, I was contemplating the McGowan postcard but held off. I might take a shot at something in the current Goodwin but will probably get blown out of the water. I did just get this in from a recent Heritage Sunday night auction:
Combs_Earle_1940_Playball_01.jpg

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Very nice Combs, Bill! I really wish Heritage would get their listing issues sorted out, as it's frustrating beyond belief to have to hunt through all of their items each week to ensure that I didn't miss something.

brumbach

Sean_C said:
Very nice Combs, Bill! I really wish Heritage would get their listing issues sorted out, as it's frustrating beyond belief to have to hunt through all of their items each week to ensure that I didn't miss something.

I agree, I found the Combs by just aimlessly wandering, I really wasn't looking for anything in particular. I know I say it all of the time, but I believe that the Sunday auctions dilutes the Heritage brand name. Plus, their site is just too much clutter and flashing bells and whistles.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
brumbach said:
Nice pickups Sean, I was contemplating the McGowan postcard but held off. I might take a shot at something in the current Goodwin but will probably get blown out of the water. I did just get this in from a recent Heritage Sunday night auction:
Combs_Earle_1940_Playball_01.jpg

That's beautiful! You gotta love signed vintage!

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Anyone pick up anything either from Premier or Collect.com's auctions tonight? I just won these from Collect:

CA3-4142a_lg.jpeg

CA3-4142b_lg.jpeg

I paid $15 for the 2 cards. I couldn't care less about the Jordan, but the Shaq is an odd-ball. It looks like it should have been signed (based on the back), but wasn't. $15 for an oddball PSA 10 was worth it I thought.

CA3-4427a_lg.jpeg

CA3-4427b_lg.jpeg

I'll probably send the Ryan into BGS for slabbing. The fact that it's a signed promo card (check out the Press / 1000 on the back) was what got me to spend $40 on the lot.

4144a_lg.jpeg

4144b_lg.jpeg

I've been wanting the Moon from this set for quite a long time now. Being able to get the entire set at one time (a serial #'d set at that!), with the Moon already slabbed for a whopping total of $70 is a dream come true.

4225a_lg.jpeg

Now this was a real find as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure that the person who was bidding on it before me is pissed off, since they almost had it for next to nothing ($20). It's very difficult to find the cards individually, so to get the almost complete set for $120 is a steal IMHO (BV for the whole set is $1800, and the 2 missing cards are just $60 combined)

Members online

Latest posts