Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Offer "Know-It-All's"..My latest offer that was comical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I've been in the negotiation phase on one of my auction's that's a "BIN/BO" listing (it is a 1st Yr. Gold Refractor BGS9.5 Gem), I received a low offer so I countered & received this little ditty of a response:
"Cant go any higher. Card books at $60 and with one at auction right now it can be had for less than this price. And not too hard to get a 9.5 w/ the Chromes, so Im comfortable goin that route if we cant get it done here"...
Now the card that they state is "in auction right now" is ungraded & they assume they can buy it for close to what the bid is currently at (although there is plenty of time left on the auction & I know for a fact they are not going to win that card :D ). Anyhow, I know how I will go about responding (as I treat my potential customer's like they are always right, although in this instance they're not getting my item at thier offer) but I just wanted to ask you guy's n' gal's how you would respond if you received a counter-offer with a little message like this one had? It's Saturday night & I got a kick outta the note: (someone quoting "Book value" to tell me what "my" card is worth :p , & then going on to basically say that they could buy a raw from another current auction & have it graded easily a 9.5 for a lower price if I don't sell at thier asking price...) so I thought I'd share it with you all! :D

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
HoustonTeams4Me said:
I've been in the negotiation phase on one of my auction's that's a "BIN/BO" listing (it is a 1st Yr. Gold Refractor BGS9.5 Gem), I received a low offer so I countered & received this little ditty of a response:
"Cant go any higher. Card books at $60 and with one at auction right now it can be had for less than this price. And not too hard to get a 9.5 w/ the Chromes, so Im comfortable goin that route if we cant get it done here"...
Now the card that they state is "in auction right now" is ungraded & they assume they can buy it for close to what the bid is currently at (although there is plenty of time left on the auction & I know for a fact they are not going to win that card :D ). Anyhow, I know how I will go about responding (as I treat my potential customer's like they are always right, although in this instance they're not getting my item at thier offer) but I just wanted to ask you guy's n' gal's how you would respond if you received a counter-offer with a little message like this one had? It's Saturday night & I got a kick outta the note: (someone quoting "Book value" to tell me what "my" card is worth :p , & then going on to basically say that they could buy a raw from another current auction & have it graded easily a 9.5 for a lower price if I don't sell at thier asking price...) so I thought I'd share it with you all! :D

I'd probably decline and move on. For every lowball offer there is a seller expecting an insane amount (not saying this is you, but just that they are out there).

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Just respond with something like, "That sounds like a good idea. Take care and thanks again for your offer. Best of luck."

And let them move on.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Tell them something like "Good luck bidding on the card up for auction. I hope all goes well with the grading process and you end up with a gem." Something you don't really want to say, but be polite to them.
Just my .02

Anthony

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:

I'd probably decline and move on. For every lowball offer there is a seller expecting an insane amount (not saying this is you, but just that they are out there).

Isn't the seller selling "thier" item? If so, whom are we to question thier asking price for "thier" item? :D

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
I wonder if he understands grading isn't free. I don't know what price range you are talking, but with $8 or so being the cheapest to get a card graded (and more likely it'll be $15ish) then I'm not sure how much he'd be saving. Sounds like a winner!

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:

Isn't the seller selling "thier" item? If so, whom are we to question thier asking price for "thier" item? :D

And the buyer is making an offer of "THEIR" money. Who are we to question "THEIR" offer?

i would respond with something like...

wow the other card is that much cheaper? so i can buy it at auction and cost average it with mine and make even more money... would you like a finders fee?

or

book value is indeed very important for the cards. i will accept your offer but payment must be made in pounds.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
Is it the Taylor? I had the same problem when I listed my gold(non graded). I listed high because I am in so cheap that I can hold. I got pretty low offers, not obscenely low though. I also have yet to get a negative comment with an offer.

Also is it really that OC T/B? Just curious.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:

And the buyer is making an offer of "THEIR" money. Who are we to question "THEIR" offer?

I'm not questioning "thier" offer, I am questioning the manner in which they went about rudely telling me what "my" item is worth. I never once typed to them questioning why they were being cheap, yet they emailed me & stated that my asking price for "my" item was too high. See the difference? :D

teachervido

Aug 7, 2008
Fresh Meadows, NY
aminors said:
Tell them something like "Good luck bidding on the card up for auction. I hope all goes well with the grading process and you end up with a gem." Something you don't really want to say, but be polite to them.
Just my .02

Anthony

+1 It doesn't take a genius to think

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
ryanhoward06 said:
Is it the Taylor? I had the same problem when I listed my gold(non graded). I listed high because I am in so cheap that I can hold. I got pretty low offers, not obscenely low though. I also have yet to get a negative comment with an offer.

Yeah & I saw your's & was going to make an offer but I wasn't sure how you would respond (being that we were such good pals on the BMB :lol: )... The centering is almost dead-on perfect, I guess my scanner put a glare on it or something(?), not sure as I'm not a whiz with electronic's... I wish you continue down that path of not receiving extra jibberish with your offer's, as it is VERY tempting to write them back with an offtone response, but you just know it will come back to bite you in the arse oneday! :lol:

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
teachervido said:
aminors said:
Just my .02

Anthony

+1 It doesn't take a genius to think

??? :|

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
ryanhoward06 said:

Yeah & I saw your's & was going to make an offer but I wasn't sure how you would respond (being that we were such good pals on the BMB :lol: )... The centering is almost dead-on perfect, I guess my scanner put a glare on it or something(?), not sure as I'm not a whiz with electronic's... I wish you continue down that path of not receiving extra jibberish with your offer's, as it is VERY tempting to write them back with an offtone response, but you just know it will come back to bite you in the arse oneday! :lol:

Ehh I probably would not accept anything. :) Nothing personal, but some of the things you have done make me not want to deal with you. And I don't expect you to like me, I'm fine with that.

I also see it as a $100+ card so I will hold out.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
ryanhoward06 said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
ryanhoward06 said:

Ehh I probably would not accept anything. :) Nothing personal, but some of the things you have done make me not want to deal with you. And I don't expect you to like me, I'm fine with that.

I also see it as a $100+ card so I will hold out.

No harm, no foul (we at least seem to agree that neither want to deal with eachother so we can leave it at that :D ). As for the M.Taylor Gold Ref. I hope it again reaches it's $100+ sell potential but at the moment they are going closer to half that (that's what I've picked my last 2 up for at least). :D

brokenliz1

Aug 7, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
i would respond with something like...

wow the other card is that much cheaper? so i can buy it at auction and cost average it with mine and make even more money... would you like a finders fee?

or

book value is indeed very important for the cards. i will accept your offer but payment must be made in pounds.

Haha that is funny.Thanks for the laugh!

Members online