Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay Price tracking application (prototype)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
I've been toying around with this idea for a while, and thought I'd share now that I have gotten a bit further along with it. Basically, I wrote a little program that tracks the sale of a card on ebay and shows a historic price graph. Right now, I am only tracking a few cards, as this is just for fun, but I wanted to see if anyone has any feedback/comments. Right now, it is tracking the average daily sale price of a handful of cards.

If anyone is interested in taking a look, they can check it out at http://www.baseballcardmanager.com - just enter as a guest!

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
sportscardtheory said:
Could be really cool with some tweaks. Is it only for cards you put in, or can it be used for any card?
Only for cards I put in right now - easy enough to add new ones though

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
zookerman182 said:
so pretty much what i gathered was, every other card sells high and every other card sells low. Cool looking system though

Some of the cards have some inaccurate data in there, as the ebay queries I put in for them were not specific enough. If you focus on the recent onws (Hobgood/Chapman), it is alot more accurate

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Just a heads up, to my knowledge, eBay owns all of their auction results data. They also view this data as an asset and sell/license it as such.

"Cease and desist" appears to be common with these types of custom apps.

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Just a heads up, to my knowledge, eBay owns all of their auction results data. They also view this data as an asset and sell/license it as such.

Yeah - I know - I'd never consider reselling the data - this is more of a fun project that I just play with in my spare time. If ebay says cease and desist, then I certainly will :)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
rdg00001 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Yeah - I know - I'd never consider reselling the data - this is more of a fun project that I just play with in my spare time. If ebay says cease and desist, then I certainly will :)
Personal use shouldn't be an issue, but eBay scours the web for projects like this.

It makes sense for them to protect their data, especially because it appears that it should be completely in the public domain.

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
200lbhockeyplayer said:
rdg00001 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Personal use shouldn't be an issue, but eBay scours the web for projects like this.

It makes sense for them to protect their data, especially because it appears that it should be completely in the public domain.

Yeah - - plus they charge a fortune for the data. Funny thing is that I built all of this using the public API - just did it in a creative way...

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
nborton said:
Just wondering. Are the spikes caused by differences in grading?

Yeah - for the Markakis and Weiters, there are a few BGS 9.5's and 10's etc that skewed the results. The Hobgoods and Chapmans that I added this week are only looking at raw cards, hence the straighter lines (and more accurate data).

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I have been doing personal use data mining from ebay since 1999. I have done this solely for 1993 Finest Refractors, using import and some code to get the info into Excel.

Members online

Latest posts