Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Million Card Giveaway Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Just tried out a pack of 2010 Topps, got a redemption card for a spot in the million card giveaway. Doesn't begin until February 15th though. ;(

Is there any sort of checklist about this? Will there be multiple copies of each card, or 1,000,000 different cards? Will they be the same cards found in the "Cards Your Mom Threw Out" set?

I looked at topps.com, but couldn't really find much.

Thanks!

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
jeff550 said:
i bought one on ebay, I think its one copy of each card topps has made

Sweet. 1988 Topps Jim Gott here I come!

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
In a Beckett article the guy from Topps said they have multiply 1952 Topps Wille Mays autographs that they will be giving away as well as a complete 1952 set.
Mike

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
hofmichael said:
In a Beckett article the guy from Topps said they have multiply 1952 Topps Wille Mays autographs that they will be giving away as well as a complete 1952 set.
Mike
sweet

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
i dont think they will be embossed. this looks like its more for the average collector, because the retail odds are the same as hobby. for $1 i think its worth a shot at a vintage topps card

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder how many recognizably different cards Topps has made. Sixty seasons of baseball cards, plus things like 1975 minis and 1980s Tiffanies, not to mention all the premium inserts of the 50s through the 70s. Plus test sets like 1971 Greatest Moments and 1972 Topps Cloth. Plus oddball issues and box sets for Kmart and TRU. Then you get to the 90s when people realized collectors might be willing to buy more than one set per year. Then the parallels. Then the multiple parallels. Then the stamps and the foils and the GU and the press plates and Topps Tek and Moments and Milestones and all that junk. Then there's Bowman, which they probably won't count, as they try to maintain it as a separate brand. A million is a big number when you're talking about individual items, but they must be well into the six figures for distinct, separate cards.

There's a guy named Ian Levine who completed a collection of every DC comic ever made, including everything ever printed under the National Periodicals and other company names, from before Action #1 up through I guess 2007 or so, including the most obscure 8-page ashcan sample comic inserted in New York newspapers in the '40s or given away with toys in the '80s. Plus, he lives in Britain, which makes it all the more amazing. I wonder who has the greatest percentage of Topps cards ever made. Could anyone be working on such a thing.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
darrend505 said:
There are going to be a ton of multiples, Topps has not produced a million cards!

Hahah, you're right, that was a incredibly dumb question.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
They should have to disclose what they're actually putting in these and stated odds.

It's legally available upon written request, depending on your state.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
200lbhockeyplayer said:
smapdi said:
.... I wonder who has the greatest percentage of Topps cards ever made. Could anyone be working on such a thing.
Larry Fritsch Cards or Burbank I would guess.

The screwed up thing is that Topps probably paid Burbank 5 dollars per common, and they now think they're putting out a terrific promotion. Knowing topps, they probably gave a huge distributor massive amounts of "Topps Credit" at a hyper inflated value for singles.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
pigskincardboard said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
smapdi said:
.... I wonder who has the greatest percentage of Topps cards ever made. Could anyone be working on such a thing.

The screwed up thing is that Topps probably paid Burbank 5 dollars per common, and they now think they're putting out a terrific promotion. Knowing topps, they probably gave a huge distributor massive amounts of "Topps Credit" at a hyper inflated value for singles.
I don't understand why you think this is a bad thing?It is an added value.This redemptions are not taking the place of a hit.It is a fun chase card that gives you the chance to own some amazing cards.Besides it may spark interest in older issues.That is good for any of us who sell on the secondary market.
Mike

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
hofmichael said:
pigskincardboard said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
smapdi said:

I don't understand why you think this is a bad thing?It is an added value.This redemptions are not taking the place of a hit.It is a fun chase card that gives you the chance to own some amazing cards.Besides it may spark interest in older issues.That is good for any of us who sell on the secondary market.
Mike

Oh, I'm just factoring in the fact that if money went to this, money didn't go to other stuff -- Yanno?

Let's look at the pricing here -- 1 per 6 packs, so is that 4? or 5? per box.

Now, let's add in the minimum 2.50 shipping on each card.

Even if they didn't purchase these cards, and they're just giving away cards from one of their warehouses -- We're at 10 Dollars per box.

Plus the added money they've got to pay the redemption center to organize and mail out a piss-load of cards. Then you need the infrastructure installed to properly randomize and notify people for this contest.

Plus, all of the added costs...

Basically, this promotion costs them at least 15 bucks a box.

You know what you can include for 15 bucks at *cost*? If they did buy-backs of the good cards, we're talking even more money.

Probably some damn good autographs.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
pigskincardboard said:
hofmichael said:
pigskincardboard said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
smapdi said:

Mike

Oh, I'm just factoring in the fact that if money went to this, money didn't go to other stuff -- Yanno?

Let's look at the pricing here -- 1 per 6 packs, so is that 4? or 5? per box.

Now, let's add in the minimum 2.50 shipping on each card.

Even if they didn't purchase these cards, and they're just giving away cards from one of their warehouses -- We're at 10 Dollars per box.

Plus the added money they've got to pay the redemption center to organize and mail out a piss-load of cards. Then you need the infrastructure installed to properly randomize and notify people for this contest.

Plus, all of the added costs...

Basically, this promotion costs them at least 15 bucks a box.

You know what you can include for 15 bucks at *cost*? If they did buy-backs of the good cards, we're talking even more money.

Probably some damn good autographs.
You tell me what other $2 per pack product that offers Ruth and Ott memorabilia.I don't mean stadium seats either.It seems like some collectors are never happy.Then again I will be the first to say Topps Sterling sucks.
Mike

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
What are you even talking about?

I'm not bashing Flagship. I'm bashing the concept of the millioncard giveaway.

By the way, go ahead and look at your odds for the Ruth stuff -- You could buy a 2 dollar lottery ticket and a) have better odds b) win enough money to buy your own jersey.

I digress, though. I have no problem with anything other than the crappy photography and the millioncard giveaway.

Members online

Latest posts