Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ot- flashdrive, itunes, and mac question. real quick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
so i'm moving all my itunes (apps, games, movies, shows, and songs) to a new mac. when i drag songs from itunes into the flashdrive, even if i'm holding 200 songs which is about 600mb, it only copies about 60-70 into the folder. the drive is 2gb. is the format wrong or something? any advice?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
It sounds like you either have something in the "Trash" that was once on the Flash Drive.

With the flash drive connected, empty your trash and try again.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
theres prob hidden files still on your flashdrive.
make sure all hidden files are viewable and just delete them.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Bosox3 said:
theres prob hidden files still on your flashdrive.
make sure all hidden files are viewable and just delete them.

there are hidden files. when i click "ctrl a" on my windows machine to get all songs into itunes from the drive, it says there are hidden files. how do i see them on my mac!?

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Well, if the files start with a '.' (period) or '_' (underscore), you won't be able to see them unless you use a terminal command to enable hidden files.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Philip J. Fry said:
Well, if the files start with a '.' (period) or '_' (underscore), you won't be able to see them unless you use a terminal command to enable hidden files.

basically, i'm dragging songs from my library (literally opening itunes, and dragging the songs). i'm very confused lol

is there a better way of doing this? it used to be easy to use firewire and just drag the itunes folder over, but the genius (jobs) had to remove firewire from the new macbook :x :x

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
J.O. said:
[quote="Philip J. Fry":3gdfxlpc]Well, if the files start with a '.' (period) or '_' (underscore), you won't be able to see them unless you use a terminal command to enable hidden files.

basically, i'm dragging songs from my library (literally opening itunes, and dragging the songs). i'm very confused lol

is there a better way of doing this? it used to be easy to use firewire and just drag the itunes folder over, but the genius (jobs) had to remove firewire from the new macbook :x :x[/quote:3gdfxlpc]

Yeah, that's why I'm not buying the new one. Anyhow, you're doing it correctly. I would honestly just format the drive in Windows and start over; ie, clean the slate and start fresh.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
J.O. said:
phil-

how do i clean and reformat in windows?

thanks

Go to My Computer and you should see the drive listed. Right-click on it and there should be an option to format. I'm not too sure as I'm not in Windows at the moment.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
so i'm using my flash drive and bringing folders from my itunes music folder over. do i just redrag them into my new mac's itunes folder, and then they'll be in my itunes?

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
In your music folder on the Mac, drag the iTunes folder into it. Once the files copy over, launch iTunes. You'll run through the setup assistant (provided it's the first time you've opened it) and once that is done, the music should be in there, along with your playlists you may have created on the PC.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Philip J. Fry said:
In your music folder on the Mac, drag the iTunes folder into it. Once the files copy over, launch iTunes. You'll run through the setup assistant (provided it's the first time you've opened it) and once that is done, the music should be in there, along with your playlists you may have created on the PC.
should the entire itunes folder (which has ipod games, apps, and shows) BE MOVED INTO THE MUSIC FOLDER? (WHoops caps lock on)

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
200lbhockeyplayer said:
It sounds like you either have something in the "Trash" that was once on the Flash Drive.

With the flash drive connected, empty your trash and try again.

^What he said. Empty your trash with the flashdrive connected (this will free up that mysterious "occupied" space on your 2gb drive).

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
J.O. said:
[quote="Philip J. Fry":123kmsak]In your music folder on the Mac, drag the iTunes folder into it. Once the files copy over, launch iTunes. You'll run through the setup assistant (provided it's the first time you've opened it) and once that is done, the music should be in there, along with your playlists you may have created on the PC.
should the entire itunes folder (which has ipod games, apps, and shows) BE MOVED INTO THE MUSIC FOLDER? (WHoops caps lock on)[/quote:123kmsak]

Yep.

Latest posts