Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Purple Refractors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Now I know these are not numbered and they are only available in retail but does anyone else think that long term, these could be pretty good investments...especially if a player gets hot?

Think of it this way, we all crack hobby boxes galore...but who actually cracks cases and cases of retail 09BDP? Not many...so, how many of each card could actually be floating around in the market...

They could have made 600 of each player but there can't be more than 100 of each card on the market making them quite rare...no?!

And not to mention the "rainbow" collectors also...

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I would guess they might increase in value for the reasons you stated.

I know that I like 'em just cause they look pretty darn cool! :)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Trouble is, the set in which they appear consists of less-than-stellar prospects overall. If only they appeared within the auto set as well.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Jaypers said:
Trouble is, the set in which they appear consists of less-than-stellar prospects overall. If only they appeared within the auto set as well.

Yeah, if they had auto's versions, that would be great. BUT, all it takes is one "sleeper" from the set to get hot...and wham...but we'll see...a few sleepers in the checklist still interest me no doubt.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I think they are a nice addition to retail only. It gives people a reason to open retail, or at least some added benefit. No longer do you risk opening a $20 box of retail and get nothing but commons. Sure, it might be two worthless purple refractors, but its something that maybe you can trade off at some point.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
r2d2 said:
How rare have you noticed these are? I've only seen like three of my WBC guy since product release

I've seen 5 of one of my guys, 1 of the other. Picked up 3/5 and 1/1. I've seen more gold refractors. But that could be because the purples are $1-$2 cards, and therefore its not worth it for ppl to list

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
I think they look awesome. Only seen 2 Belfiore's, and the first one got like 15 bucks. Ended up getting mine for 4 dlvd. Looks real good with the rainbow, and they probably will be in high demand if someone gets hot because not many people bust the retail.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I don't think retail only parallels have a history of holding value. I know I've had a few and they have been relatively worthless compared to similar #'d hobby only parallels. For example, I have a Cliff Lee RC from Donruss Fan Club "Credits" Retail parallel #'d /100. I thought hey, someone will want this (given his coming into his own as a dominant pitcher over the last two seasons), but it's never garnered any attention at auction. His hobby parallel /100 (I forget what it is called) however does sell.

The aesthetcis of the purple refractors may appeal to some and that might help, but I don't know that, historically speaking anyway, retail only inserts have any long term collectibility or retained value. That being said, "long term" at this point in time isn't really that far out. Who knows in 15 years (or longer) if people come back looking for this stuff (maybe like Gold foils, tiffany's and murphy stadium cards!)

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't know Bill, I think it's just a wild crazy world. I got the hobby CC which is called "Spotlight" BTW, well, he has 2 cards in the set. I got both of the hobby's right away when the set came out, and one of the "Credits" retail versions... the other one I hunted for for years and years, and finally paid about $5 for it. I know that's not a lot, but I'm sure the others cost me 99 cents + s/h, so $5 was quite a bit.

May 28, 2009
I think there are less of these made than people think. My guys cards are selling for 10+. But i think there have been less then 5 sold. There have been more golds and almost as many oranges.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I ripped a few blisters recently and was pissed. Pretty much, so I thought. Then I realized the lasy jose reyes purple got $16, last Avila got $13 and last FU-TE Nei got over $10. Mine are ebay begging for bids, so we shall see!

I personally think they are very nice looking.

Skrip

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
Purple Refractor Parallel #’d to 999
Blue Refractors #'d to 500 instead of #250?
While no X-Fractors :(
They are nice but I don't think that they should drop the X-Frcactors and raise the Blues to 500. I think if they cut the X-Fractors make the purple 250 and not 999. And serial number them.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Bill Menard said:
The aesthetcis of the purple refractors may appeal to some and that might help, but I don't know that, historically speaking anyway, retail only inserts have any long term collectibility or retained value. That being said, "long term" at this point in time isn't really that far out. Who knows in 15 years (or longer) if people come back looking for this stuff (maybe like Gold foils, tiffany's and murphy stadium cards!)

2009 Topps Chrome Mark Sanchez Retail only Blue Refractors sell very good. $30-$40, and they book for $50-$100

Members online

Latest posts