Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why does Topps do this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I mean, especially when several in the market are ruining game used by removing the pieces and "upgrading" with fake material? This sort of thing only feeds into it! Some idiot will buy that and put in a 2009 Yankees patch of the new stadium, stick it back on ebay, call it pack pulled and proclaim how it's one of the nicest Mantle patches ever to surface and some even bigger idiot will buy it for a ridiculous amount of money thinking it's genuine (of course it is genuine... genuine crap)!

!Bk0driwB2k~$(KGrHqUH-CMEs+0Op8pWBLZJbvFMPw~~_12.jpg

edit... i looked at the back of these too and apparently the card only says game used material. Doesn't specify what exactly it is (pants, jersey, bat, hat, etc...)

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
My problem is more with the fact that they're using a jumbo PLAIN swatch!!! If it's gonna be that big, at least give us a stripe. As for fakers, yeah, I can imaging this will be tampered with.

Ct Sox Fan

Aug 20, 2008
Connecticut
What surprises me is why don't more collectors express a concern with the fact that a true piece of American History is being cut up and ruined? How many truly authentic Mantle pants/jersey's actually exist? While I am somewhat Ok with the modern players as they probably have hundreds of jerseys (doesn't each team wear several different colors during the season?), I would much rather see the card companies give us collectors a shot at winning the actual jersey or pants. How cool would that be?

If they are going to cut it up, they should put a picture on the back of the card to show the jersey before it was destroyed. This would hopefully discourage the jerks who fake the patches from putting a patch that is not in the picture.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ct Sox Fan said:
What surprises me is why don't more collectors express a concern with the fact that a true piece of American History is being cut up and ruined? How many truly authentic Mantle pants/jersey's actually exist? While I am somewhat Ok with the modern players as they probably have hundreds of jerseys (doesn't each team wear several different colors during the season?), I would much rather see the card companies give us collectors a shot at winning the actual jersey or pants. How cool would that be?

If they are going to cut it up, they should put a picture on the back of the card to show the jersey before it was destroyed. This would hopefully discourage the jerks who fake the patches from putting a patch that is not in the picture.

The ones cut up are the ones topps owns.

There are more out there that they dont, and topps is screwing themselves by making the full ones more expensive by cutting up the others.

While I agree with your statement about an idea for the whole jersey or pants, as long as topps bought em, you cant tell em how or what to do with em.

I like how topps makes em, but wish they would make less of them

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Ct Sox Fan said:

Didn't upper deck do something like that in 99 or 00? I wanna say I remember pulling an advertisement card in just about every pack I opened that showed a jersey, maybe dimaggio's, that you could win.

Ct Sox Fan

Aug 20, 2008
Connecticut
Fandruw25 said:
Ct Sox Fan said:

Didn't upper deck do something like that in 99 or 00? I wanna say I remember pulling an advertisement card in just about every pack I opened that showed a jersey, maybe dimaggio's, that you could win.

I don't remember that, but I did not get back into collecting until 2002 or so. That would be pretty cool pull, the winning entry for the Dimaggio! There was the Upper Deck product in 2004 too that you could win replica Mitchell and Ness Jerseys as well. But to have a chance to actually own an authentic Dimaggio/Mantle/Williams jersey would be amazing.

But as HPC mentions, Topps owns it and is going to try and maximize their return on the investment. Cutting it up and inserting it is several product lines over the course of a year or two will maximize their profits more than just giving it away.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
From what I have read in the past, they also tend to buy the jerseys, bats, etc. that in somewhat rough condition to begin with.

People also underestimate just how many cards can be made from said pieces, especially bats.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
People also underestimate just how many cards can be made from said pieces, especially bats.

Averages about 2000 from a bat and 1200 from a jersey (that was in 2002, may be even more now).

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Then there was the post on April Fool's Day a few years back when a member on the BMB (Raymond?) posted a fake article stating that card manufacturers were going to stop making jersey cards, and instead include a link to view the article you now shared ownership in with 1000 others. It was classic.

David

Members online

Latest posts