Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The worst contract in baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Gotta love an article that basically bashes a player for:

1. Not playing for the money
2. Making sure he's secure for many years to come
3. Realizing that $44M is really not much different than $70M
4. Wanting to stay where he's enjoys playing

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Sly said:

I don't really take it that way. The security is valid, yes. But I'd bet the value of that contract that Longoria would've gone year to year in hindsight.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sly said:

If you could have 44 or 70million, which would you take?

That's basically all that article boils down to.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Never a good idea to leave money on the table.
BUT nothing is guaranteed except his contract so he took what was offered and hes happy with at the time so I get that.

I also get the fact that 44 million is enough to set up his family for generations down.

At the same time, if Tampa is smart and Longoria continues to produce at the same pace, they may want to consider making him even happier and renegotiate sometime down the road!

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
While now you can look at the past and maybe call it a bad decision, when you are sitting as Longoria, a week into you debut, you would be an idiot to turn down a contract like that. For every player that is hyped and starts out hyped, there are 10 that flop within 2 years.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Tampa made a smart deal locking him up for this time period.

Longoria doesn't appear to be a risk taker and wanted to lock in his guarantee. NO ONE knows what kind of player he'll be like in 2-3 years. I am all for a player trying to make as much money as possible. He certainly has the the potential to make more. However, this may be what's he's happy with.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Evan went with the security of having a long term contract early in his career at the expense of possible higher salaries down the line. It was a great move by Rays management. I'm sure Evan is regretting signing it now but at the time it wasn't that bad of a deal for him.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:
That contract was laughable the day he signed it. This isn't retrospect, as the OP accurately stated.

What if that contract had gone to Chris Shelton? The fact that Longo was only a babe in terms of playing time at the MLB level is still amazing. NOTHING was a sure thing at that time. Anyone who thought the contract was insane for Longo at that time was probably also fooling themselve into thinking the KNEW that he would be this good and consistant; they just turned out to be right and never had to be called on their "hunch."

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
Sly said:

If you could have 44 or 70million, which would you take?

That's basically all that article boils down to.

Guaranteed $44M vs. A "year-to-year" total of $70M with ZERO guarantee...

I'll take the guaranteed.

$44M will be more than I will ever spend in my life and will set up my family for many, many years!

And as others have said, at that point in Longoria's career, there was no reason not to take it. He could have been a big-time fluke and left A LOT of money on the table. It also allows you to avoid arbitration on a year to year basis, which basically boils down to the team explaining to you (or a mediator) why you're not worth x-amount of money.

This article is garbage because no contract is a terrible contract for a player. To look at bad contracts, you need to look at what is OFFERED, not what is taken.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
Is this any different (other than the amounts) than Tulowitzki's $31 million over 6 years with an option on the 7th year at $15 million?

The difference would be in how many years of Free Agency are bought out? I believe Longoria's deal bought out three (?) years of free agency. I think Tulo's is one, maybe two.

Regardless, I blame no player for looking out for themselves and setting them up with solid deals like Tulo and Longoria. I give props to players willing to play for the game, and not fully for the money.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Ask Alex Gordon if he'd take 17.5 mil right about now...?

Kershaw could be hit in the face by a line drive this spring and never be the same....and never earn 1/8th of what Longoria will under his contract.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
JzWand said:
BUT nothing is guaranteed except his contract so he took what was offered and hes happy with at the time so I get that.

I also get the fact that 44 million is enough to set up his family for generations down.

At the same time, if Tampa is smart and Longoria continues to produce at the same pace, they may want to consider making him even happier and renegotiate sometime down the road!
They are on a contending team. MAybe by leaving money on the table, Longoria is hoping that the Rays can secure a solid core of players for years to come (and stay a contender for years to come).

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
darocker80 said:
JzWand said:

They are on a contending team. MAybe by leaving money on the table, Longoria is hoping that the Rays can secure a solid core of players for years to come (and stay a contender for years to come).

When he signed though werent they still crap?
IIRC it was his rookie season they turned it around and went to the WS.

Eitherway, hindsight is 20/20 but it alwasy sucks to make a deal and realize you could have done so much better. Of course he also could have done worse so it is what it is.

Members online

Latest posts