Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1982 Fleer Cal Ripken..

SGC or PSA

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I want to grade my copy of this Ripken card. It is in very good condition, corners are sharp, centering is near perfect, and surface and edges seem fine. Of these two grading companies, which would you prefer as far as retaining the value goes? Thanks.

IMG_1100.jpg
Not the greatest picture ever but thats the card.

zan

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
JoshHamilton said:
PSA for resale value, although unless it's a 9 or 10, it won't have much resale value at all
Not really looking to resell, just looking to keep the value of the card high.

zan

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Ok, my general rule for value is:

Pre-War --> SGC

Post-War to 1992/3 --> PSA

1992/3 to present --> BGS

I'd never use BVG.

So in this case, for value, PSA. However, that card would look sweet with the SGC black border! If you're not looking to sell, and I can tell you now I'd expect a PSA 9 at best from that card, it would look nice in SGC.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
BunchOBull said:

Pre-War --> SGC

I'd never use BVG.

So in this case, for value, PSA. However, that card would look sweet with the SGC black border! If you're not looking to sell, and I can tell you now I'd expect a PSA 9 at best from that card, it would look nice in SGC.
Wow, agreed 100% with everything you said!!

gldneagles311

Aug 10, 2008
N. Bergen, NJ
BunchOBull said:

Pre-War --> SGC

I'd never use BVG.

i absolutely agree...good luck on your grade!

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
BunchOBull said:

Pre-War --> SGC

I'd never use BVG.

Can you explain as to why the different companies for different years? Just curious... :)

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
sportscardtheory said:
Can you explain as to why the different companies for different years? Just curious... :)

Sure. I'm not trying to start a company bashing issue here at all. Each of the big three have had their respective issues, and no company is 100% perfect. That said, I believe each company has its niche...I also believe market trends, either intentionally or not, have set themselves to said niches.

SGC is very lax on centering...I'm not. However, when it comes to pre-war and the oddball printing and cutting processes that were used, they've got the most experience (and the best fitting holders) for that era of card.

PSA is the "catch all" grading company to me. If I someone told me, you can only use 1 grading company for the rest of your life, I'd choose PSA. They're pretty sharp with the Pre-War, their registry drives great market prices, modern sells well in their slabs, and more often than not, if they detect any possible tampering, they'll give you a voucher and not holder the card.

BGS, for modern cards, there is nothing better for resale value. The cut off to me is around the time 1993 Finest came out...though, I'll go either way with that particular issue, PSA or BGS. Anyway, at this point, old cardboard stocks were out and the true "modern" printing processes took over. My gripe with BGS is that they've acknowledged sheetcut cards that fall within "parameters." Other companies have too (in my opinion PSA 8 t206 Wagner) and will continue to do so, but BGS seems complacent with doing so. For this reason, BVG will not get my business at all, because off all eras of cards, vintage is most likely to be trimmed. I know for certain that some extreme miscut cards have been trimmed to proper dimensions and made their respective ways into BVG holders.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
sportscardtheory said:
BunchOBull said:

Pre-War --> SGC

I'd never use BVG.

It's each company's niche.

Members online

Latest posts