Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball America's Collegiate All Decade Team

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
let me kick off the debate by saying. .Khalil Greene was not a better shortstop than Gordon Beckham was. Other than the fact he played till his senior year.. MAYBE that would put him ahead..

any thoughts??

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
brianga26 said:
let me kick off the debate by saying. .Khalil Greene was not a better shortstop than Gordon Beckham was. Other than the fact he played till his senior year.. MAYBE that would put him ahead..

any thoughts??
For his career I would say Greene was better. Beckham had one monster season, but overall Greene was more valuable for a longer period of time.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
brianga26 said:

any thoughts??

You certainly didn't watch Khalil Greene play very much in college then. Khalil was hands down the best player that I played against in college, and that includes about 50 players that are in the big leagues. Gold glove caliber defense at short, excellent average, excellent power for a short stop, college player of the year, etc. Dude was an absolute best and put on a SHOW against us in a three game set at Clemson.

skrip

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
The issue with things like this is that you are bound to, even if unintentional, take into account what the player did in the minors/majors. Greene was a complete bust in the majors, Beckham a rising star.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Khalil stats

BA - .374
HR - 52
RBI - 276
SB - 55
OBP - 465

Beckham Stats

BA - 332
HR - 53
RBI - 182
SB - 28
OBP - 422

Take them as you will.

skrip

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
mredsox89 said:
The issue with things like this is that you are bound to, even if unintentional, take into account what the player did in the minors/majors. Greene was a complete bust in the majors, Beckham a rising star.

It's hard to say that someone who has played every year in the Major Leagues since 2003 would be considered a bust. And considering the small sample size with Beckham it's hard to conclude he is going to be that much better in the long run.

Consider this: in Greene's first full major league season he had a .273/.349/.446 triple slash and played excellent defense at the toughest position to play. Beckham's line was .270/.347/.460 and played slightly below average defense at 3B (according to UZR). Beckham had a slightly better ISO and wOBA while playing 36 games less than Greene, however, considering the sample size the numbers aren't that much different.

Unfortunately, that was Greene's best season with the bat so far and his once top tier defense has deteriorated into poor quality. I agree that Beckham is likely a rising star, has more power, and could be a much better player than Greene, but let's be real: he could turn out to be the next Khalil Greene.

Both were unquestionably great collegiate players.

Members online

Latest posts