Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 Topps Pie Face SP sales

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
jswaykos said:
These things are selling for $40-$140!!! How rare are these, exactly?

I don't know what it is...but it's probably no different than the Jeter/Bush/Mantle or Rudy Giuliani or "***" cards a few years ago. They always sell for big money upon release, then die down to a couple bucks.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes, a common refrain amongst most releases. Topps seems to get most of the press when it happens because Topps still gets the most attention.

Sly said:
...They always sell for big money upon release, then die down to a couple bucks.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
All these variations in 2010 Topps is making me "re-look" at the common cards I got...I think I threw a YANKEE Granderson in my common bin! :benson:

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Unlike most of the bs that Topps pulls on their regular Topps cards, these are pretty cool. It shows the game can still be fun and adds some levity.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
"The Yankees created a new tradition of a pie to the face for any player who won a game in walk-off fashion"

Interesting, I'm curious as to what I've been seeing for YEARS where a player gets a shaving cream pie to the face. Must not have been this because of course, the Yankees created this tradition just last year...ugh.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Sly said:
"The Yankees created a new tradition of a pie to the face for any player who won a game in walk-off fashion"

Interesting, I'm curious as to what I've been seeing for YEARS where a player gets a shaving cream pie to the face. Must not have been this because of course, the Yankees created this tradition just last year...ugh.

They started a team tradition of doing it when there was a walk off homerun. I'm not aware of any other team doing that. I don't think it says they started the tradition of the pie in the face.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Sly said:

They started a team tradition of doing it when there was a walk off homerun. I'm not aware of any other team doing that. I don't think it says they started the tradition of the pie in the face.

Walk off homerun, walk off hit, milestone hit...what's the difference? All teams will generally do it during a post-game interview with said player...I saw it numerous times last year in Seattle.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Sly said:
justinmandawg said:
Sly said:

Walk off homerun, walk off hit, milestone hit...what's the difference? All teams will generally do it during a post-game interview with said player...I saw it numerous times last year in Seattle.

It amazes me how much Yankee hatred is like getting hit in the forehead with bowling ball where people lose all control. They are talking about the Yankees making this a tradition for the Yankees (they never did this after every walk off before and then they did hence a tradition), I understand its hard to see the word Yankee and not scream at something but its pretty cut and dry.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
The Yankees invented the walk-off, which led to their invention of pie, which led to their invention of pie-in-the-face. I think.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Messier2 said:
All these variations in 2010 Topps is making me "re-look" at the common cards I got...I think I threw a YANKEE Granderson in my common bin! :benson:

Frack! I can't find it! lol

Oh well, there goes $20 down the drain! ::facepalm::

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
nyc3 said:
Sly said:
justinmandawg said:
Sly said:

It amazes me how much Yankee hatred is like getting hit in the forehead with bowling ball where people lose all control. They are talking about the Yankees making this a tradition for the Yankees (they never did this after every walk off before and then they did hence a tradition), I understand its hard to see the word Yankee and not scream at something but its pretty cut and dry.

And no other teams have traditions? Why do we celebrate ONLY the Yankee traditions? Especially a very "original" tradition like this. I mean, this is just a GENIUS idea by the Yankees. They are so cutting-edge...

What amazes me is the amount of Yankee love. Why do people not understand that not everyone cares about the Yankees, and seeing Yankee-this and Yankee-that year after year is REALLY old and probably turns some people off. Last I checked there are 29 other teams in baseball...all of which have fans..

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Sly said:
nyc3 said:
Sly said:
justinmandawg said:
Sly said:

And no other teams have traditions? Why do we celebrate ONLY the Yankee traditions? Especially a very "original" tradition like this. I mean, this is just a GENIUS idea by the Yankees. They are so cutting-edge...

What amazes me is the amount of Yankee love. Why do people not understand that not everyone cares about the Yankees, and seeing Yankee-this and Yankee-that year after year is REALLY old and probably turns some people off. Last I checked there are 29 other teams in baseball...all of which have fans..

Not nearly as many fans as the Yankees. It's a horrible business decision to market something toward the NY market.

Jul 30, 2009
Aaaaaaaand, once again it is proven why it is a smart move by Topps (and any company) to make these gimmick cards. Makes people talk about it, have fun with it and obviously, buy more.

Its a win win win win for the collector, dealer, investor and company.

Personally, I feel that several issues every year should have some sort of gimmick card. Its not needed in crazy high end stuff but it wouldnt hurt if, say, Bowman Chrome "goofed" again by inserting facsimilie autos in 2010 or if theres some "Frankenstein" Refractor in 2010 Finest which wasnt "supposed" to be issued.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts