Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Stanton Poll

Better Stanton Card?

• 2008 Playoff Contenders Auto SP/149

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Which of these two cards would you rather own or invest in?

Thanks for the votes.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I like the Blue Ref. It's so eye catching. The Contenders is SP but not really an attractive card...BLUE all the way for me!

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Blue all the way, and they have consistantly sold at a higher price. Contenders early in the offseason dipped below a hundred bucks. Blues have always remained strong.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Try the same poll with Viciedo. See if the 2008 Contenders is the pick over the 2009 Chrome. I would imagine that would be closer but I have a feeling that the Chrome would edge out Contenders despite the first year, second year difference. Before 2005, no one would have ever even given 2nd year cards another look as the first card would have gotten the RC label. Now it is just all F$CKED up and 3rd, 4th, even 5th year cards are getting the RC tag just because of some stupid MLB idea to have a rookie card logo.

F the logo!!!!!

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
I would rather own the Blue Refractor, BUT you can get the Contenders Auto cheaper and the potential for a higher ROI is there because of that. When a player gets hot, the average "joe" collector doesn't really care about sticker vs on card or the overall look of a card. They just want the Rookie Autograph. Just my opinion.

BTW, how come the Razor Metal Gold isn't an option. Only 18 copies made ;)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
To celebrate his callup, I figured I'd bump this thread, exactly 4 months later.

The last Contenders Auto of him brought $350, which is about what his Chrome Blue Ref Autos bring.

Keep those votes coming.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
glad I bought the contenders. I paid $50 for my contenders and nowthe have been selling for $350.
I also bought a wilmer Flores contenders for $50 and it sells for $260

I love those contenders short prints.

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
While I would vote for Bowman Chrome Blue Ref ... the fact that the Contenders is now selling for the same amount (~$350) as Blue Refs means that the answer to JP's original question about which is the best INVESTMENT, posed back in February, was indeed the CONTENDERS card.

It was selling for considerably less than the Blue at that point, and now has gained so much steam that it's matching the Blue price ... i.e. you could have bought in much lower on the Contenders and be selling it at the same price as the blue currently.

Long-term, I would still definitely prefer the Blue Refractor, but only for the aesthetics and not the "chrome is king" Kool-Aid.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Here is the price history

3/23/10 contenders sold for $156.00
3/28/10 blue refractor $210.00

Last 5 contenders have sold for $350
Blue refractors are at $320

BGS 9.5 contenders two sold for over $500
PSA 10 Blue Refractor $382.00

Looks like the contenders was a better investment

Its funny how these things work out sometimes

Members online