Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Breaking News: Angels withdraw offer to Teixeira

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
http://zellspinstripeblog.com/2008/12/2 ... -teixeira/

So many twists and turns in the Teixeira sweepstakes...

from Yahoo Sports:

The Los Angeles Angels on Sunday afternoon withdrew their offer to free-agent slugger Mark Teixeira and do not intend to continue negotiations with his agent, according to a source close to the negotiations.

Believed to have offered about $160 million over eight seasons, the Angels became the second team in recent days to declare the price on Teixeira to be too steep. The Boston Red Sox reached a similar decision Thursday night after meeting with Teixeira and agent Scott Boras. Team owner John Henry issued a statement that concluded, “ … we are not going to be a factor,” though evidence suggests negotiations are not dead.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
~ Scott Boras - making the game of baseball better, one player at a time. ~

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Damn! I was actually looking forward to a full season for Vlad with some protection.

I know I'm friends with some Sox fans on this board (BeefyCheddar) but I honestly hope he doesn't go to Boston.

I am hoping Baltimore as I think he would do well there and give that franchise some hope.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
sheetskout said:
Damn! I was actually looking forward to a full season for Vlad with some protection.

I know I'm friends with some Sox fans on this board (BeefyCheddar) but I honestly hope he doesn't go to Boston.

I am hoping Baltimore as I think he would do well there and give that franchise some hope.

It's ok, I have high hopes for Lars, and love Lowell, so either way I'm happy with or without him. Boras is the devil.

angelsrockies4ever

Aug 7, 2008
That's surprising, I really thought that Boras would want Teixeira to sign with the Angels and would have pushed for that.

A. Boras lives 15 minutes from Angels Stadium, and goes to every single Angels home game.
B. Teixeira even moved in with Boras during Teixeira's stint with the Angels this year.
C. Because of that, I think Boras would really push to get Tex to sign with the Halo's.

And as an Angels fan, that's too bad.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Can't wait for that forced smile at the Nationals' press conference.

As an aside, if the Nationals are really a factor with this money, can't they use it on some pitching? Couldn't they get Lowe and Sheets and make a go of it that way?

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
If Teixeira signs with a team like the Nationals for say $184 million and leaves offers of around $180 from the Red Sox I will lose complete respect for him.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
sheetskout said:

It's ok, I have high hopes for Lars, and love Lowell, so either way I'm happy with or without him. Boras is the devil.
+1

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
At least teams seem to be catching on to Boras FINALLY. Apparently the Nationals do not expect to win the bi9dding for Teixeira so they most likely didnt outbid the Red Sox. When I think about it, id rather wait untill after the 2010 season and go for Pujols.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
MallCopKJ said:
At least teams seem to be catching on to Boras FINALLY. Apparently the Nationals do not expect to win the bi9dding for Teixeira so they most likely didnt outbid the Red Sox. When I think about it, id rather wait untill after the 2010 season and go for Pujols.

StL will resign Albert

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
angelsrockies4ever said:
That's surprising, I really thought that Boras would want Teixeira to sign with the Angels and would have pushed for that.

A. Boras lives 15 minutes from Angels Stadium, and goes to every single Angels home game.
B. Teixeira even moved in with Boras during Teixeira's stint with the Angels this year.
C. Because of that, I think Boras would really push to get Tex to sign with the Halo's.

I hear tex is a bad roommate
But in all seriousness..to the people saying boras is the devil,hes doing his job and hes damn good at it.His only purpose is to get Tex as much money as possible and put him on a contending team.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
angelsrockies4ever said:

I hear tex is a bad roommate
But in all seriousness..to the people saying boras is the devil,hes doing his job and hes damn good at it.His only purpose is to get Tex as much money as possible and put him on a contending team.
Well as right now it looks as if Teixera won't even be on a baseball team in 2009 :|

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
i think the 195 million dollar offer was drummed up by boras. tex is still in the angels and bo sox's plans, it's just a bargaining ploy imo. "if" the angels are out of it, i'd like to see us turn our attention to adam dunn. all indications lead me to believe that he will be available for 2-3 seasons at 15 million per. if the angels were to sign dunn, we'd be in good shape...

1.figgins 3b
2.kendrick 2b
3.vlad rf
4.dunn dh
5.torri cf
6.napoli c
7.rivera lf
8.morales 1b
9.aybar/izturis ss

then you package up wood, adenhart and others for peavy ;)

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Boras is totally playing the clubs exactly like he did with ARod. But it sounds like some of these owners are finally catching on. I wish those owners would hold on to their guns and let Tex wait a while.

I can't wait for our poor economy to seep its way into MLB revenues. I would love to see some of the prima donnas not collect a pay check because the cash flow isn't there.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
archiebunkerjr said:
Boras is totally playing the clubs exactly like he did with ARod. But it sounds like some of these owners are finally catching on. I wish those owners would hold on to their guns and let Tex wait a while.

I can't wait for our poor economy to seep its way into MLB revenues. I would love to see some of the prima donnas not collect a pay check because the cash flow isn't there.

It's a different world. The superstars will still get their money, because they generate more money. It's the $9M middle infielders (I'm looking at you, Julio Lugo) that will see their pay cut first.

Members online

Latest posts