Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where did you buy cards as a kid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
In the mid to late 80's, there were ten stores right by my house which sold cards. Imagine that today?

They ranged from candy to "five and dime" to gift and discount stores and even a fruit stand (we later found out they were re sealed packs).

Wax, Cellos, Raks, you name it. If it came wrapped, I bought it. I even bought cards (100 ct mega rak) in a supermarket a short drive away. Toys R Us was a great place to buy cards as they always had a big selection and another short drive away.

For those familiar with the Westchester NY area, my card store of choice back then was Dragons Den in Yonkers and even the one in the Bronx for a few years. Since I didnt drive back then, it was a rare treat to go to Fantasia up in Scarsdale.

It wasnt until 1990 that a small card store opened nearby and that place got me to buy Hockey and Basketball cards, for a short time that is.

How about you guys?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Great topic!

When I was around 7 my mother and aunt occasionally went to a small store that sold lottery tickets; I remember they had a few cards once and I got one of my first packs of cards (1994 Ultra).
Ultra contained one of my first "favorite" insert sets - Hitting Machines.

Later, we would frequent a little convenience store/gas station called "The Pantry" that had the greatest fried chicken and potato wedges. They also carried (for quite a few years) a small section of baseball and basketball cards. Each time we stopped to get chicken I would get a few packs of cards. Over the years, my small collection of star base/inserts and rookies (of everyone) accumulated.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
First packs my dad bought for me were 88 Topps at a local gas station. I would often beg him to get me a 50 cent pack of them, but it was seldom I did. Wasnt able to buy cards regularly on my own until around 1994 or so when they had them at a convenience store.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
During the mid 80's through the early 90's, Brooks Pharmacy (now Rite Aid) was the place to buy packs. As for shops, I frequented Larry's Cards (now Larry's Comics - cards and related items are few and far between) in Lowell, MA.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Here:
WoolworthsFrontSt01_SM.jpg

and here:
newberry1.jpg

(1970's)

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Mr B's liqour store on Torrance Blvd and Crenshaw

J and J Newbury's in old town Torrance

Woolworths in the Del Amo Mall

7-11 on Emerald and Hawthorne Blvd.

When I was in the Marines it was Sprouse Reitz in Fallbrook by Camp Pendleton and the Toys R' Us in Carlsbad.

Tom

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Tom Oates said:
Mr B's liqour store on Torrance Blvd and Crenshaw

J and J Newbury's in old town Torrance

Woolworths in the Del Amo Mall

7-11 on Emerald and Hawthorne Blvd.

When I was in the Marines it was Sprouse Reitz in Fallbrook by Camp Pendleton and the Toys R' Us in Carlsbad.

Tom

Man, now all that's left is that shop on PCH and Western, South Bay Cards. Even Time out (Lomita) went under after I left the area.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
The liquor store down the street. They had packs of 1987 Topps. Fell in love with the wood design. By the time 1989 rolled around, they also carried Donruss, Fleer, Score and UD. I remember my middle school ASB sold packs of Fleer Ultra. Those were $2.50 a pack. A fortune back in those days for a 13 year old!

Then I discovered a local card shop. The first time I set foot, I thought I was in heaven. The swap meet was another great place to buy wax.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember getting some Topps rackpacks after the 1980 season at Woolworth's in Ambler, PA. The next spring we moved to another town (Glenside) and there was this store that had recent comics, used books, and packs of cards behind the counter. I used to go there a couple times a week after school, even though it was the opposite direction of my house. In my mind it was wonderful for me, enabling me to explore all those different hobbies at once, even though in reality it was probably just a junky used bookstore. They also had an adult section, but I never went in there (we moved again when I was 15). There was also a pharmacy that I think had packs of cards on the main road, but the other store was a lot more interesting.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
Man, is everywhere an answer?

I remember buying cards at gas stations, convenience stores, supermarkets, liquor stores, flea markets, and of course, card shops. I remember in 1984-5 when the local warehouse places were selling Topps for either $8.35 or $9.35 a box.

Never would have guessed then that a box of cards could eventually be equal to a car payment.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
011873 said:
For those familiar with the Westchester NY area, my card store of choice back then was Dragons Den in Yonkers and even the one in the Bronx for a few years. Since I didnt drive back then, it was a rare treat to go to Fantasia up in Scarsdale.

Kinda creepy - first place I thought of when I saw the topic. I don't live in the area but my friend growing up did and I'd stay at his house for the summer. Bought Marvel Universe cards there all the time as a kid lol

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
Mostly gas stations, grocery stores, wal-mar, target, LCS's, card shows. I remember getting my beckett and first thing I would do was search for TEXAS in the back of it. And at the 7eleven(wish I kept them) :(

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I started collecting seriously in 1985 when I was 12, in the early years of the baseball card boom.
There were five card shops within a ten-minute drive of my house in North Dallas.
Two were within walking distance.
And of course every supermarket and drug store sold cards back then.
There were 2-3 card shows every weekend in Dallas in the late '80s.
The National Convention was in Arlington (Dallas) in 1986 and 1990 and they were spectacular.
I loved being a collector back then. So many awesome memories.
And legendary players signed autographs at shows for practically nothing (Willie Mays for $10, Mantle an Ted Williams for $15, plus Banks, Seaver, Spahn, Gibson, etc. for $5. Many shows had Hall of Famers sign for free) But those prices didn't last long as players wised up to the tremendous demand.)
Cards were everywhere and so cheap! And now, 25 years later, most of those '80s cards are as cheap (or in most cases cheaper) than they were back then.

Hwilensky

Feb 6, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
man, just about everywhere in queens!

The Te-amo, Eisenstats, woolworths, mikes comic hut, everywhere!

I grew up in Forest Hills, I use to go to the Te-amos up and down queens blvd. There used to be a comic book and Card store on Austin Street, can't remember the name, but I remember going there every friday for cards and comics.

Hwilensky

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
In the mid to late 60's (yeah, I said 60's :D ) there was a store across the street from our aprtment complex called Jerry's. It was a candy/greeting card/odds and ends store that sold wax, real wax. There was also a Woolworth's up on 86th street in Manhattan that I (my parents and grandmother really) would buy from.

Members online

Latest posts