Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What kind of multiplier should a bgs 10 pristine get Edited.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
Re: What kind of multiplier should a bgs 10 pristine get?

Probably $120. I assume you're talking Vitters, and I've seen those sell $85-120 or so.

I bought my Gilmore BGS 10 for $35, raws get about $5. Figure 6-10x multiplier for cheap guys, 4-7x for bigger names.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY

Incline Investments said:
Probably $120. I assume you're talking Vitters, and I've seen those sell $85-120 or so.

I bought my Gilmore BGS 10 for $35, raws get about $5. Figure 6-10x multiplier for cheap guys, 4-7x for bigger names.

It really all depends on the player, along with their popularity. The best price to use a multiplier on are the BGS 9.5 copies.

Using a multiplier on raw copies for Pristine grade is too drastic of a difference.

dchurg

Aug 11, 2008

NECpilgrims8 said:
Incline Investments said:

It really all depends on the player, along with their popularity. The best price to use a multiplier on are the BGS 9.5 copies.

Using a multiplier on raw copies for Pristine grade is too drastic of a difference.
Top 100 prospect, popular player, big market...

Thanks Incline for the response :)

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008

The most I paid was x14 book, it was an older card and I had the only other 10, newer stuff doesn't multiply that high and there seems to be more (in part because so much more of the chrome stuff is submitted), I agree with NEC....

dchurg

Aug 11, 2008

base go for about 20
9.5 base go for about 30-35
refractors for about 40-45

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
to me it always comes back to the set....

IN sterling every other card is a 9.5, so I don't give as much love to the 10's because there is probably going to be (50-75) 10's out there at some point. It is still a nice card, but let's say it was a blue refractor with (15 9.5's out there), then I would assume the 10 is much tougher to get and would get a much higher multiplier in my eyes...

skrip

dchurg

Aug 11, 2008
ballerskrip said:

IN sterling every other card is a 9.5, so I don't give as much love to the 10's because there is probably going to be (50-75) 10's out there at some point. It is still a nice card, but let's say it was a blue refractor with (15 9.5's out there), then I would assume the 10 is much tougher to get and would get a much higher multiplier in my eyes...

skrip
I dont get what your saying...of course there is going to be less 10's of a card that is /150 then compared to a card /1000...what value would you put on it?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Only 5 years ago only about 10 BGS 10s existed, now there are thousands.

BGS 9.5 used to be something you hoped for, now it's something you expect.

Grading is completely subjective.

That being said, the difference between a BGS 9.5 and a BGS 10 are often so subtle that if re-graded, I would imagine many (25%) BGS 9.5s could get the (not so) elusive BGS 10. I personally do not consider the difference between a BGS 10 and BGS 9.5 as great as BGS 9.5 to BGS 9.0...yet they both only differ by half a point.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Of course? No, not of course. Condition sensitivity SHOULD be taken into account when buying ANY graded card. Sterling is EASY to grade, very easy to get a 9.5 and easier than any other brand to get a 10. That is my point.

You must take that into account any time you buy a graded card. My point is that if there are 350 9.5's out there, then there will likely be some 10's. If there are 15 9.5's out there, well good luck finding that 10.

skrip

dchurg said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip
I dont get what your saying...of course there is going to be less 10's of a card that is /150 then compared to a card /1000...what value would you put on it?

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
200lbhockeyplayer said:

That being said, the difference between a BGS 9.5 and a BGS 10 are often so subtle that if re-graded, I would imagine many (25%) BGS 9.5s could get the (not so) elusive BGS 10. I personally do not consider the difference between a BGS 10 and BGS 9.5 as great as BGS 9.5 to BGS 9.0...yet they both only differ by half a point.

Your statements are completely over exaggerated.

I don't know if you grade, but to say that 1/4 of the gems would regrade to a BGS 10 is just ridiculous. I am a grader, in mass amounts, and you have no idea how few BGS 10's come out vs. bgs 9.5's (and my orders are MG 9.5).

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I don't know if you grade, but to say that 1/4 of the gems would regrade to a BGS 10 is just ridiculous. I am a grader, in mass amounts, and you have no idea how few BGS 10's come out vs. bgs 9.5's (and my orders are MG 9.5).

BGS is a constantly evolving beast, a beast that has gotten easier to beat than in years past.

Surely you remember when a BGS 9 was a good grade, now it's not even worth slabbing. A BGS 9.5 was rare, and now they are commonplace. Now perhaps I was misleading in stating that 25% of all BGS 9.5s could get bumped to a BGS 10, maybe it's 15%...but in another 5 years, I think 25% or more will probably be dead on correct. And keep in mind, I'm talking about getting something re-graded, not going from raw to BGS 10.

And yes, I do grade, surely not as much as you, but I do enough to know how shady most of this is. And I'm a firm believer that if you're not getting grade bumps, you're not trying hard enough.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

BGS is a constantly evolving beast, a beast that has gotten easier to beat than in years past.

Surely you remember when a BGS 9 was a good grade, now it's not even worth slabbing. A BGS 9.5 was rare, and now they are commonplace. Now perhaps I was misleading in stating that 25% of all BGS 9.5s could get bumped to a BGS 10, maybe it's 15%...but in another 5 years, I think 25% or more will probably be dead on correct. And keep in mind, I'm talking about getting something re-graded, not going from raw to BGS 10.

And yes, I do grade, surely not as much as you, but I do enough to know how shady most of this is. And I'm a firm believer that if you're not getting grade bumps, you're not trying hard enough.

BGS has gotten easier to "beat" than in years past, more 9.5s and certainly more 10s coming out there is no doubt about it. However, I think the % of 9.5s that would regrade to a 10 is in the single digits, likely, the low single digits.

I've graded roughly 3,000 cards in the past year, my total 10s have been 9, I do believe. So .3% of my raw cards graded out as a BGS 10. Of the 9.5s, of which I hit probably 45% or so, I'd say 1/50 at the most had the subs of 9.5, 9.5, 10, 10, which you could put back in for the bumps.

I know there are a lot more 10s out there, but there are also a lot more graders out there, so that makes those very very small %s seem so much bigger. If anything I've seen more 9.5s with the subs 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9 this past year than before.

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
masonphillip said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

BGS has gotten easier to "beat" than in years past, more 9.5s and certainly more 10s coming out there is no doubt about it. However, I think the % of 9.5s that would regrade to a 10 is in the single digits, likely, the low single digits.

I've graded roughly 3,000 cards in the past year, my total 10s have been 9, I do believe. So .3% of my raw cards graded out as a BGS 10. Of the 9.5s, of which I hit probably 45% or so, I'd say 1/50 at the most had the subs of 9.5, 9.5, 10, 10, which you could put back in for the bumps.

I know there are a lot more 10s out there, but there are also a lot more graders out there, so that makes those very very small %s seem so much bigger. If anything I've seen more 9.5s with the subs 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9 this past year than before.

Agreed.

I have had many, many, 9.5s, and still have not subbed a 10.

BGS has gotten much easier, but I think they are slowly heading back to being tougher.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts