Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A question for die-hard player collector's.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Do you pick up more than one card for your collection or do you have to try to get every copy of every card (especially the rarer or more limited) to quench your hoarding ways ?

Me, I need to get every copy possible. I know I won't, since working at a grocery store won't allow me to, but I still try.

You ? :?:

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I try to get one different of each, unless it's unique, like a unique patch or button. Then I'll take all I can get. If it's a rare insert, like an auto /10, then once I get my first copy I'll still bid on others, but much less. If a low-numbered card of my player is going to sell for a few bucks, I might as well win it.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
i typically go for the cheapest version. once i have one it's in my mind essentially the same card.. except for this year i decided to go for all the sweet spot's of griffey

descott77

Dec 4, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
for now i am just trying to get one copy of every card...i have tons of doubles/triples and even more than that of certain cards...i do not usually buy the same rare card twice (unless its super cheap) my thought is that i know how hard it is to get some cards so why keep others from having it if they really want it...i have one of that card i dont need all of them IMO

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
My PC player's 1st card was 07 Bowman Chrome so I try to get all I can. At last count I have 7 golds 8 blues 8 ref and 10+ base. AS of right now I try to get as many of each card as I see fit.

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Im trying to get one of everything but the rookie autographs and chromes are the exception. I will snag as many bowmans best or bowman autos of aybar as i can. Same goes for bowman chrome rc xfractors, blue refractors and golds. He doesnt have any game used so thats about all i can hoard. Im loving how cheap his cards are too. I picked up my first 1 of 1 of him on monday. (topps 2010 magenta printing plate for $12)

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Lately, with a lack of nice Zambrano high end cards to choose from, I have been picking up several copies of cards that I like.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Only one of each.

Last thing I need is a bunch of late 80's and early 90's base cards of Harold Reynolds sitting around in a box...

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Maybe I am not a true player collector? I don't care about base cards. Really don't care about inserts or gued either unless they are low #ed. I have focus on graded rookies, patches and autos. And yes, I get every copy I can of those.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
bodiaz said:
Maybe I am not a true player collector? I don't care about base cards. Really don't care about inserts or gued either unless they are low #ed. I have focus on graded rookies, patches and autos. And yes, I get every copy I can of those.

There are no rules. Do you do this for one particular player because you appreciate him? Then you are a player collector.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I try to get 1 of everything (unrealistic) but I go for bulk as well. I have at this time 1998 different ryan cards but 18738 total ryan cards. I put a premium on cards that I do not have, but do buy very large lots to try to find the never listed, hard to find odd balls.

I also do not sell doubles. If you have a large lot of ryan junk (80's - 90's, 1000 or more for .05 a piece, non pacific) you would like to move, send me a note.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I like to have every card possible, but don't focus so much on auto/gu because its soo overproduced. Instead I'll pickup Many of them, but not every one. I also don't mind multiple copies of tons of cards, like when I buy a small collection for 1 or 2 cards. I know enough Puckett collectors that I can forward extras when needed.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
One of each!!!! Anything andeverything, but one of each. I hate when I get doubles! I already have too many and it feels like such a waste of money when there are so many more out there I need!
picket.jpg

(Except 83 Rookies! I have about 50 Topps rookies! :D )

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
descott77 said:
for now i am just trying to get one copy of every card...i have tons of doubles/triples and even more than that of certain cards...i do not usually buy the same rare card twice (unless its super cheap) my thought is that i know how hard it is to get some cards so why keep others from having it if they really want it...i have one of that card i dont need all of them IMO

That's a good point, and one I never thought of. I always figured if another person starting collecting Rowand and they got a rare one that I really wanted, I'd have several other rare doubles that I could trade for the one I didn't have. Kind of like an insurance policy, but it's unlikely someone else will start collecting every card of Rowand like me. I do know some Sox collectors, though, so the Sox cards could be used for tradebait.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
At the very least, I'm looking for one of everything ever released - I'm currently at 96%. Most of the ones I'm looking for I've never seen, and don't know if I ever will. Since the supply of new Butlers has pretty much dried up, I am also slowly but surely building a PSA registry, plus I'm building a decent dupes box for an eventual slow & steady TTM campaign. The TTMs are low on the list of priorities, especially since I have no desire to ruin Butler's enthusiasm for signing for other collectors.

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
I try to pick up all I can of the rarer cards but don't go out of my way. Every so often a moron comes up and thinks they have a card that I will pay an insane amount of money for just cause they have a card I don't have and I just blow them off. People like that aren't worth dealing with so I don't waste my time. ;)

The ultimate goal of mine is to just be happy with my collection and savor each addition because it is a piece of the bigger picture.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I have hundreds and hundreds of duplicates. It's actually a problem for me. Since there aren't many cards I don't have, I feed the addiction by buying duplicates. However I usually I won't bother unless they're patch, low #'d, ultra-cheap, or something else interesting or unusual. For example, see my sig. I think I have 22 of the 89. I will also try to "improve" the cards I have, as in buying a nicer patch to replace the mediocre one I have. If I needed the $, I could probably collect up duplicates and sell a very nice Vizquel player collection of at least 600 different cards.

Part of my motivation is trading. I've met a few other collectors and having a lot of nice duplicates has made it easy to trade and fill a lot of holes in my collection.

Members online