Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you buy this product?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Its not being planned but just wondering how you think it would sell and if you would buy it.
Topps Total was similar but never took off and that was with true impact rookie cards.
There are a couple of key differences with this fantasy product and Total.

2010 Topps Retro
792 card set on "old school" paper/technology
50 cents per pack with 10 cards per and 36 packs per box (box srp $16-$18)
No inserts, no GU or autos and no numbered cards.
"Error" cards will be inserted along with corrected versions. This is a modern day variation card in reality as some errors wil be rarer than others and some corrected cards will be rarer than the errors (reverse neg, stat errors, wrong photos and logos, etc)

Different than Total in that the price point (50 cents) is what it was in the late 80s during the boom which should help it sell well at retail. Lack of inserts, GU and autos and old school paper will help keep the price down and errors could bring collectors back to when errors were actually corrected (and collected).

And just like back then, collectors can decide if they will include error cards in their sets or not. All in all, this product would be geared towards novice, kids and collectors who remember actually building sets from scratch. I dont think it would sell too well in Hobby shops since nearly everyone expects a chance to get GU or autos in their boxes.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
...old school paper would allow for sexy IP autographs too!

I'd definitely buy a box featuring great photography and no time-consuming inserts. If they can just mass-print something and not bother stamping every second card, or chomping holes in it for jerseys, they could save costs.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I would buy 5 or six boxes of it. I've been waiting for something like that forever instead I just buy the factory set a couple of years after it's release, not as fun but it saves me lots of money to spend on other singles. I also think it's something like this that gets kids into collecting and once you get them hooked it's only a natural progression into other more expensive products.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I'd of course buy it, but no way will anyone go back to .50 a pack, and variations/errors kind of loose the appeal for me if the are voluntary. Would be nice if everyone went back to this type of thing for a bunch of years before any more gu. If manufacturers were smart, they'd halt 80% of gu/auto production and in 10 years, values would be back up. 10-12 years ago I'da killed for a gu, now you get one and its a throw away card for most people.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
O-Pee-Chee was about the most simliar to this as you can get. I know it did have GU but I don't think it had any autos. In any case...I really liked it because the cards have great pictures and plus it had the old school feel to it. But I do think I would be open to this kind of thing. I wouldn't be mad if the card companies started to simplify collecting a bit.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
plainwhitejerseys said:
No. What's the point? No money to be made on it. This is a business, not a hobby.
This attitude is the reason why this hobby/business isn't fun for the masses any longer.

Not saying it isn't valid, but it wasn't always that way and until it can turn around, it will continue to lose market share year after year.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
200lbhockeyplayer said:
plainwhitejerseys said:
No. What's the point? No money to be made on it. This is a business, not a hobby.
This attitude is the reason why this hobby/business isn't fun for the masses any longer.

Not saying it isn't valid, but it wasn't always that way and until it can turn around, it will continue to lose market share year after year.
It hasn't always been about money on the secondary market, but Topps, UD, Fleer, Score, et al
spent most of the 80's and part of the 90's massively overproducing in order to make more money.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
If I was still doing TTM I would love this product. I would buy a few packs for my son, but I would not be interested in any for myself

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If I collected that sort of thing or was a player collector, id buy a box of it.

it's really hard to go wrong for $16-18 per box

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Make a Topps "old school" cardboard product like this:
400 card set of present players and make a variation of every year the player did not have a card from 1952 thru his rookie year in the vintage year design (so no overlapping of years are made of any current player. Jeter would have variations from 1952-1992).
All variations have the same odds of pulling.. No SPs..
Make it cheap 75¢-$1.00 pack with 10 cards with no inserts or Game Used or Autos..
10 cards per pack, 36 packs per box and 20 boxes per case
They can print a ton of these and still be kinda hard to get so the chase is still there.
There would be different ways to collect this product.
Player collectors can buy every card of their player, team buyers can choose how to collect, whether all or just certain years...Set builders can build the entire set or just pick a few years to build or just one..

People would be buying these boxes for months

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Casebusters said:
Make a Topps "old school" cardboard product like this:
400 card set of present players and make a variation of every year the player did not have a card from 1952 thru his rookie year in the vintage year design (so no overlapping of years are made of any current player. Jeter would have variations from 1952-1992).
All variations have the same odds of pulling.. No SPs..
Make it cheap 75¢-$1.00 pack with 10 cards with no inserts or Game Used or Autos..
10 cards per pack, 36 packs per box and 20 boxes per case
They can print a ton of these and still be kinda hard to get so the chase is still there.
There would be different ways to collect this product.
Player collectors can buy every card of their player, team buyers can choose how to collect, whether all or just certain years...Set builders can build the entire set or just pick a few years to build or just one..

People would be buying these boxes for months

Great idea!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I love the idea but would increase pack price to 99 cents - we would need to adjust for inflation. I'd rather have this than current Topps, although I like current Topps as well.

011873 said:
Its not being planned but just wondering how you think it would sell and if you would buy it.
Topps Total was similar but never took off and that was with true impact rookie cards.
There are a couple of key differences with this fantasy product and Total.

2010 Topps Retro
792 card set on "old school" paper/technology
50 cents per pack with 10 cards per and 36 packs per box (box srp $16-$18)
No inserts, no GU or autos and no numbered cards.
"Error" cards will be inserted along with corrected versions. This is a modern day variation card in reality as some errors wil be rarer than others and some corrected cards will be rarer than the errors (reverse neg, stat errors, wrong photos and logos, etc)

Different than Total in that the price point (50 cents) is what it was in the late 80s during the boom which should help it sell well at retail. Lack of inserts, GU and autos and old school paper will help keep the price down and errors could bring collectors back to when errors were actually corrected (and collected).

And just like back then, collectors can decide if they will include error cards in their sets or not. All in all, this product would be geared towards novice, kids and collectors who remember actually building sets from scratch. I dont think it would sell too well in Hobby shops since nearly everyone expects a chance to get GU or autos in their boxes.

Members online

Latest posts