Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brandon Vera Considers Chuck "Step Down"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The 40-year-old Liddell, projected to face arch nemesis Tito Ortiz for a third time at UFC 115 in June, has lost four of his last five fights. When asked on Friday whether or not “The Iceman” now represents a step down in competition, Vera answered bluntly during a Q&A session at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

“Yes,” said Vera, who was outspoken about his desire to pursue Liddell when he burst on the UFC scene in 2005. “I’m not lying. I would much rather fight somebody I’m supposed to lose to.”

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I agree. Vera should look at Chunk as a step down, if he has his sights set on the title. Facing Glass Jaw isn't going to further his pursuit, because Chuck isn't a contender for the title, and never will be again. So what good would the fight do for anyone? Sure, it'd give Vera a 'name' in his resume when he defeated him, but everyone would know that victory wouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Beating Chuck wouldn't do anything for Vera's career at this point, so yes, it would be a step down for him at this point.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Beating a UFC HOF'er is good for anyone's (especially younger guys) career.

Albeit, on the retirement side of his career, Chuck's striking is second to none, and his mat skills are still unquestioned, its just now known that he has no jaw

If I was Vera, I would take the fight because Dana still considers Chuck a contender for the LHW title, so if Vera beats him, that puts dana in a spot where he has to consider Vera for the title

If Vera considers him such an easy fight, why not prove it, beat the HOF'er and land in the top 3-4 for a title shot...it makes less sense not to fight him

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
HPC said:
Beating a UFC HOF'er is good for anyone's (especially younger guys) career.

Albeit, on the retirement side of his career, Chuck's striking is second to none, and his mat skills are still unquestioned, its just now known that he has no jaw

If I was Vera, I would take the fight because Dana still considers Chuck a contender for the LHW title, so if Vera beats him, that puts dana in a spot where he has to consider Vera for the title

If Vera considers him such an easy fight, why not prove it, beat the HOF'er and land in the top 3-4 for a title shot...it makes less sense not to fight him

No he doesn't. He doesn't even think Chuck should be fighting anymore. Chuck had to beg Dana to come back. How can you possibly put Vera anywhere near title contention right now. He was dominated by Coture in his last fight.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Yeah, I gotta disagree about that Dana comment. Dana doesn't even want Chuck fighting anymore, let alone thinks he's a contender. You don't try and force someone into retirement if you feel they are a contender.

Chuck's done. Tito's not AS done, but he's pretty much done for too. I wouldn't be surprised if Tito beat Chuck, but it wouldn't really mean anything, like I've said before.

Members online

Latest posts