Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay Does NOT Always Side With Scammers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
I know a lot of people say ebay always sides w/buyers, but I wanted to relay a story to show why it’s important for sellers to stand up to what they believe are unscrupulous buyers.

I recently sold a multi-item order to a buyer who claimed ¼ of the order was missing. This is impossible (unless there was mail fraud) b/c I double/triple check orders (esp. multi-item 1s) to make sure everything’s included. I also pack multi-order items in a very specific sequence.

First thing the buyer does is threaten me with negative fb if I don’t refund him some $. Interestingly, he also offers to pay my ebay/paypal fees if I “refund him ASAP.” That struck me as odd b/c while I’m a kind person, I’m not so kind as to offer to pay a seller’s fees if the SELLER is the one who messed up the order LOL In fact, I don’t know any buyer who would do that.

I ask the buyer for a list of missing items…he provides it. I look @ his current auctions + surprise, I see he has listed several of the “missing” items. I also notice that the “missing” items are the most valuable. Now that’s odd, right? I email him asking for an explanation. He says he “must’ve got the items wrong,” (really? 20+ items were “wrong?” LOL), but WON’T tell me what the “right” missing items are. I ask him for this list repetitively, but he just keeps asking for $/threatening negative fb.

So I contact ebay b/c I think he’s engaging in FB extortion. I get told no, he didn’t specifically threaten negative fb, so it’s not extortion. Um ok, what does I’ll leave a neg if you don’t refund me sound like? LOL

So I’m getting frustrated and people are saying “suck it up- cost of doing business- refund him- not worth your time- you don’t want the neg/bad dsrs.” I can see the point I guess, but if I just refund him, I’ll be caving like most other sellers, which just lets scammers keep scamming.

Now mind you, I really DON’T have the time to deal w/this b/c I’m contracting for a law firm 3 days/week, my grandma’s been hospitalized 2x in 2 months, my mom’s health is worsening, another relative died, I’ve been to 7 funerals in 2 months, my ex’s cancer’s come back, my ex’s mom’s been hospitalized repetitively/will likely die soon, I’ve taken in 4 stray cats + can’t find them homes, the pregnant stray cat I found a foster for just came back (I think they were going to kill her), etc…Just way too much ish to the dizzle going on + I just CAN’T take another freaking bit of stress like a scammer buyer, right?

So guy files a dispute + negs me right after…big red mark + all caps basically saying I’m a scammer. While it didn’t hurt my fb % too much (took me to 99.9%, still pretty flipping good), it just bugged me, especially since the buyer still NEVER gave a “right list” of “missing” items.

Liars are my BIGGEST (in fact, only) pet peeve b/c it’s just NOT right. So I reach out to Griff and ebay’s office of the president. I didn’t really expect a reply b/c I’m 1 seller out of a zillion, right? Even if I got a reply, it would probably just be “oh, that’s too bad- give him a refund” b/c that’s what sellers ALWAYS hear, right? Buyers ALWAYS win, right? Sellers ALWAYS lose, right?

Wrong. Bottom line: The buyer is now NARU + my negative fb is gone!

This is the third time I’ve stuck to my guns against scammers + EVERY time, ebay has found in my favor. No, it hasn’t happened instantly + frankly, the scammers came at times in my life when I did NOT freaking need the stress.

Bottom line: DON’T back down. No, you may not always win, but there’s no need to just roll over and play dead b/c you’re afraid your dsrs will get dinged or you’ll get a neg. If you want ebay to do something, DON’T be lazy about it. DON’T take “too bad” as the end all, be all answer. DON’T let posts that say “give up- you’ll lose- move on” discourage you. If you DO roll over W/O taking time to do everything you can, DON’T blame it on ebay b/c how can they catch scammers if sellers DON’T report them? DO reach out to every option out there- FBI fraud division, your local pd/da, griff, ebay execs, etc.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Great to hear the "Good Guy" won!
Thanks for sharing (& BTW, who's "GRIFF"?) :D
Griff’s an ebay employee- ebay ambassador? Not sure what his title is nowadays, but he’s kind of an ombudsman, so if you have a problem, email [email protected] and he’ll forward it to the right department. Better than going through ebay’s “form” system

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Good for you and way to stick to your guns. I've had less than a handful of situations that took some time and stress energy to deal with, but i've always managed to show how the guilty party was in the wrong (albeit, I was not always the seller). But you're right. It's easy and quick, but also painful, to just let things go the way of the system. A little effort can usually get something done, especially if you've been wronged. Congrats on a great finish.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
That's great! Congrats on the victory. It really is encouraging to hear. I also had no clue who Griff was. How did you find out about him/her? Is Griff common knowledge and I'm out of the loop or are you privy to information I'm not? Never heard of this Griff character before.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts