Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it a prime-time for stash building?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Now that the "draft" products have released and the market has cooled, many prospect cards seem to be selling for relatively little, even hyped guys like Matzek.

I wrote a blog with a lot more detail on what I'm seeing in the market: http://pennysleeves.com/2010/02/grab-that-cash-both-hands-and-make-a-stash/

The question is, is it the right time to start building big stashes? Its a question I'm asking myself and will continue to over the next couple of months.

What are your thoughts? Are you in the market for "your guys," or are you still waiting?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I think for this years products, it is PRIME TIME for stash building.

Many players have cooled, a couple guys I was buying had xfractors at $10-$12 each, now they can be had for $1-$2 each. Same with many guys in the base set. I think you did a great job of highlighting some of the good buys out there.

I would reccomend jumping in soon though. With spring training coming soon and tax returns coming back, money will start to be thrown around in a month or so, IMHO.

skrip

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:

Many players have cooled, a couple guys I was buying had xfractors at $10-$12 each, now they can be had for $1-$2 each. Same with many guys in the base set. I think you did a great job of highlighting some of the good buys out there.

I would reccomend jumping in soon though. With spring training coming soon and tax returns coming back, money will start to be thrown around in a month or so, IMHO.

skrip

Those were just 5 random guys I highlighted really who had relatively well known names.

Honestly, on some guys, I wish there was more on the market to buy. Guys that are going to be top 50 prospects that have autos going for under $10? yes. please.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
masonphillip said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

Those were just 5 random guys I highlighted really who had relatively well known names.

Honestly, on some guys, I wish there was more on the market to buy. Guys that are going to be top 50 prospects that have autos going for under $10? yes. please.

Agreed Phil....

I have been pumping up my stashes of some of the top 50 also, just WAY too cheap to not be buying.

skrip

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
masonphillip said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

Agreed Phil....

I have been pumping up my stashes of some of the top 50 also, just WAY too cheap to not be buying.
skrip

Yes and when you have so little in them, its easy to sit and wait for them to get hot.

Conversely, your other buying and opportunities get restricted a lot faster if you pour thousands into a bunch of gold refractor autos of a prospect.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
I know its a 180 turn, but i dont think theres been a better time to stock up on vintage

I've sold vintange on a consignment basis from time to time over the past couple of years but haven't followed it closely or consistently.

Are prices down across the board in vintage land?

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
I know its a 180 turn, but i dont think theres been a better time to stock up on vintage
Ditto, but shiny slabs are so purty…FIIIINE NINES FOR LIFE :)

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
masonphillip said:
ThoseBackPages said:

I've sold vintange on a consignment basis from time to time over the past couple of years but haven't followed it closely or consistently.

Ive picked up some really nice vintage for my sets cheaper than years past lately.

HOF stuff seems down all over.

Picked up an on-card Duke Snider auto from 98 Significant Signatures for $12 the other day, and McCovey for $19

Now is the best ive seen in a long time to buy vintage

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
masonphillip said:
ThoseBackPages said:

of course i can only speak for myself, but i'd say yes prices are down in vintage land.

there are a few things to consider when looking at vintage. now i only collect 500 club member slabs.
i really feel that this is something that i wouldnt have had the wallet for in 2007. A big thing to remember
about vintage is that (at least for me) grade isnt everything. Sure high grade would be nice, but no wallet for that.
mid to low grade suits me fine as i feel the cards im collecting have a history to them.

Now, thats not to take anything away from prospects (as you may know, i was a hard core prospector for four years)
but todays cards are totally different. Kid gloves are used to open the packs, and immediately think "what would this grade?" heck, for the most part, the cards themselves are produced better then they were 40 years ago.

i will now show a few cards that i totally love, and have no doubt in my mind that i wouldnt have been able to pick up a few years ago. Also, these are cards i remember as a kid (im 38) as being "unattainable"

Aaron1957ToppsPSA5.jpg
Banks1965ToppsBVG5.jpg
Mantle1958Topps418BVG25.jpg
Mays1954ToppsSGC20_15.jpg
Mays1957ToppsPSA5.jpg
Williams1955ToppsPSA2.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
masonphillip said:
Nice slabs TBP, the '57 Topps set is one that I have always loved.

Thanks! Yea, the '57s are sweet. first year that Topps went "regular" size with the cards. also the last
cards that said New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
I am stashing Tiger autos right now. He comes back puts a major under his belt and I am sitting pretty. So, Keep unloading them tiger autos cheap!!!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
masonphillip said:
ThoseBackPages said:
fantastic Mantle!

For sure, think it would grade a 4 or a 5 roughly?

i would think so, based on the scan. Problem with scans, especially for vintage is that you cannot see
surface wrinkles and the extent of "damage" for the other grading criteria

i would be proud to own that card in any grade.

Latest posts