Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do the Mannings get a "Pass" for everything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
For example:

Archie and Eli orchestrating his draft day trade. What a joke! I personally will never forget what a selfish, BS, act that was. And Archie was as much behind it as anything. That selfish baby got the trade he wanted, and it is NEVER talked about anymore. JD Drew did something similar in baseball and has never lived it down.

Peyton is one of the biggest babies in the NFL. His body language is terrible. If things don't go his way, he pouts like a little kid. He has no problem yelling at his teammates and berating them on them on field. Yet, he is NEVER called out for it. Jay Cutler is similar in this manner and he is consistently roasted for it.

So, my question is.....

Why do the Mannings get a pass? If others did the same thing, they would get CRUSHED in the media. These guys get away with anything and everything.

WHY?

skrip

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Manning also stormed off the field after the SB and didn't shake hands with the Saints - people totally hated on Lebron when he did that in the playoffs.

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
lisu said:
Manning also stormed off the field after the SB and didn't shake hands with the Saints - people totally hated on Lebron when he did that in the playoffs.

I thought people didn't hate on Lebron enough for that... :lol:

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
ballerskrip said:
Peyton is one of the biggest babies in the NFL. His body language is terrible. If things don't go his way, he pouts like a little kid. He has no problem yelling at his teammates and berating them on them on field. Yet, he is NEVER called out for it. Jay Cutler is similar in this manner and he is consistently roasted for it.

Maybe because Jay Cutler was suppose to be the savior for the Bears and was talked about like he was the greatest QB in Bears history before he even played a down. Then he got on the field and was horrible and that pissed a lot of people off.

I guess a lot of people have less a problem with you acting this way if you have the talent to back it up. Brett Favre does the same thing when he is losing but both him and Peyton can back it up with their talent so mayeb it's less of an issue with fans.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
ballerskrip said:
For example:

Archie and Eli orchestrating his draft day trade. What a joke! I personally will never forget what a selfish, BS, act that was. And Archie was as much behind it as anything. That selfish baby got the trade he wanted, and it is NEVER talked about anymore. JD Drew did something similar in baseball and has never lived it down.

So, my question is.....

Why do the Mannings get a pass? If others did the same thing, they would get CRUSHED in the media. These guys get away with anything and everything.

WHY?

skrip

100% legitimate question... I wish I had an answer that even scratched the surface, but the OP is right.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
I hated Eli for his draft day ********. No one has that kind of authority other than the teams involved, and you need to respect the process and play for the team that picks you. Its their choice, not yours.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Great post. I'm not allowed to comment, lest I be called out for loving Brady and hating Peyton. But the OP gets to the heart of a question I always wonder: why is Manning so beloved? Why was the average NFL fan rooting for the Colts over the Saints? Other than being good, I don't find any of the Mannings remotely likeable on a personal level. Eli has always been a baby, and Manning has had a history of pouting (like the OP said) and worse, calling his teammates out...remember "We had some problems with protection" and "That idiot kicker?" He's a great teammate when things go well, but I just don't get why he's worshipped while so many other guys are hated.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Gellman said:
I hated Eli for his draft day ********. No one has that kind of authority other than the teams involved, and you need to respect the process and play for the team that picks you. Its their choice, not yours.

Love it, that's the American way. The draft is an inherently unamerican means of distributing labor. If he doesn't want to work in San Diego he shouldn't have to before he signs a contract. Such a means of distribution would never fly in just about any other industry. There's no way I'd ever hate on someone standing up for themselves and deciding where they wanted to work.

All of the rest if fair though, I'm not a Manning fan by any means.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The Eli draft day fiasco was the Chargers doing, not his. He, his family and agent were very clear that he did not want to play in San Diego throughout the entire process. San Diego, knowing how Eli felt, still chose to draft him.

From what I know, this happens in baseball as well where players will send letters to not draft them. I know Colorado was getting a lot of these letters due to their "religious" clubhouse and draftees requested not to be part of it.

To the primary question...who knows.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The funniest part about this thread, not a single person mentioned that John Elway did the same exact thing as Eli. Nobody ever mentions what Elway did, because it's in the past and nobody cares.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Eli - Personally he can do no wrong by me because he ended the Pats perfect season.

Peyton - I agree it is odd. I honestly could not even stand to see him his first few years. I even hated him coming out of college - even led me to say such crazy things as "Leaf should be the #1 pick" lol.
While I don't "root" for him - I don't despise him like I used to.....and I really don't have an answer for you.
Part of it may be not playing the Dolphins twice a year, but more so just how great he has become - guess maybe I respect it? I dunno.

I think it's easier to criticize winners - so maybe the fact he only has 1 championship factors into it? So it becomes easier to hate Brady because he's attractive and won all those rings. Others may disagree with this part - but I also think there are a lot more players who get more attention than Manning. IMO you hear about him on ESPN when he is doing something which actually is an accomplishment...no scandals or self-promoting. Just trying to think of something, because I agree and am also not sure the reason.

lumm0x

May 23, 2009
Frankly I don't find alot of things to dislike about either Manning nor most decent QB's in the NFL. If one rubs me the wrong way it is Phil Rivers and his constant trash talking.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I honestly thought I would come back to this post and see that I was "roasted".

I don't have anything against either guy, and don't root against them either.

I just don't understand why they just seem to be held up on a pedistal and can do no wrong in everyone's eyes.

I differ on the whole draft day fiasco then some others in this thread. You honestly can understand why a player wouldn't want to be taken #1 overall, play in the best city in America (outside Chicago ;) ), and make $50 million guaranteed? I can't understand. This is the system, play by it. I thought Eli came across as a entitled, whiny, childish, immature little baby in that situation and hid behind his dad like a little BIT.....

Skrip

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
i dont know what your talking about peyton has the most pressure on him than any quarterback has had in a long time. Everytime something goes wrong hes the first to be blamed. then fans take a step ack and just realize how important and great he is. He did in fact look for a few members of the saints incluing brees. how can you not like him hes one of the classiest athletes and is just a funny guy

timfsu2k

Jul 8, 2009
Kentucky
I agree with you on the Eli comment. He came into the NFL knowing how the draft worked, then forced the Chargers to trade him. Although on the other hand, the Chargers knew he wouldn't play there, so why not just draft Rivers first and be done with it? I'm by no means an NFL expert so not sure why that played out the way it did.

As for Peyton, I'm a bit biased as I am a big Colts and Peyton Manning fan, but I don't see his body language as pouting. I see it as being angry at himself and/or his teammates for not performing up to his standard. I would bet that Peyton Manning's biggest and harshest critic is Peyton Manning. As for the idiot kicker comment, he was responding to criticism leveled against himself and Tony Dungy by Vanderjagt. Not sure about the lack of protection comment you are referring to. Also, I'm pretty sure I saw him go up to Drew Brees after the Super Bowl, so I don't think he stormed off the field.

One of the things I like best about Manning is the way he reacts to success. He throws a 50 yard TD bomb and he jogs to the sideline, no theatrics, no beating his chest and talking trash to the opponents, no idiotic hand gestures. Some people may see that as lack of emotion, I see it as a pro acting like he's been there before.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
ballerskrip said:
For example:

So, my question is.....

WHY?

skrip

I will preface this by saying that this is going to be a very biased response. I have been a fan of Peyton since his days back at UT. Of course I have a biased view as a Manning fan but part of my bias is because I have had the opportunity to see first hand the good that Peyton has done for others. Several years ago I had the opportunity to visit with Peyton and Archie before a fundraiser. I remember how he signed autographs despite the fact that his handlers told people he wouldn't sign. I also remember how before the speech he was standing in the back of the room and a small baby started crying. He walked up to the family and asked if he could hold the baby so the family could enjoy the entertainment.

The interesting thing about perspective is that two people can see the exact same thing while seeing something totally different. Personally I don't think Peyton gets a pass for anything. I think that Peyton faces more scrutiny than any other athlete in any other sport in history. Before Peyton took his first NFL snap he had to answer questions about where he would be in history after his career. Even when he won a Super Bowl the sportscasters across America said he would have to win two in order to "cement his legacy".

As far as Archie and Eli on draft day I don't have a good recollection of the situation. If my memory is right I recall Archie speaking of his days in New Orleans and how difficult it was on him to play an entire career without going to the playoffs. He didn't want Eli to face a similar situation. If the Mannings got a pass at all on this it was because of the respect Archie has earned. Archie has done everything right in his career and I guess many felt he had the right to speak his mind. Whether it was right or not Eli does have a SB win and the Chargers are yet to make a SB appearance.

The "Peyton is a baby" stereotype is one that has followed him since being at UT. During the Super Bowl people kept saying "Peyton is gonna go cry" and had no clue why they were saying it other than the fact they heard it from someone else. Sure Peyton shows emotion. Big deal. Peyton could be doing a lot worse. It always amazes me how a guy who does so much for so many others and has a clean image gets treated in such a way. Peyton is guilty of berating players but he also does a lot to help them. Consider Peyton the "supervisor" of the offense. If someone isn't where they need to be they should be reminded. I do not know if Peyton found Drew or not but I guarantee that if Peyton did not shake his hand on the field he got in touch with him. We do not know the specifics other than the fact the field is chaos when the clock hits 0:00. Maybe Peyton wanted to give Drew his moment. Maybe they spoke before the game. Either way it is safer to assume that Peyton will work with Drew in New Orleans to help the community than to assume Peyton didn't want to shake Drew's hand.

In regards to the "idiot kicker" comment you have to consider the context of the situation. Vanderjagt had a history of spouting to the media and Peyton had enough of the criticism, espcially the criticism pointed at Tony Dungy. A lot of Mike's venting was because he felt Peyton didn't get "hype" enough before the games and needed to get more fired up. Vanderjagt was certainly one to talk. For such a great regular season kicker he had issues with "pressure" kicks.

Members online