Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Spring Training Question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
Do players who are not on the 40 man roster and not a non-roster invitee go to spring training?

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
I think you have to at least be on the non-roster invitee to attend Spring Training.
Thats what I was thinking but is that only for working out with the big league squad?

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
I believe teams generally have a "rookie camp" where the younger guys come and play, not necessarily in games or with the MLB team, but just the opportunity for them to start training. These are guys not on the 40-man roster or "not invited".

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Well.... what really happens is they have about 8-20 fields surrounding each MLB Spring Training Facility in a large complex. On the other fields the MiLB guys play games based on Class (Rookie, A, A+, AA, AAA). It operates almost just like the big league setup except with less ppl watching and they have full squad or split squad games.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I don't know of any team that has 20 fields around their spring training complex.

The Phillies Bright House Networks Field/Carpenter Complex, which has been recently remodeled and the field is only 5-6 years old, has a grand total of 6 fields including BHN.

That being said, all of the teams players usually train in or around the spring training complex, and there are no hard and fast rules as to who can come to a game. Many times, after the extra catchers are cut, minor league catchers are brought back up to the major team to catch allof the pitchers who are still working. Many times minor leaguers get into the games just because they're practicing near the team, and there is no set rule. Bottom line, even if the player's not on the 40 man or the non-roster invitee list,it doesn't mean he won't get into the game.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I think the guys who aren't on the 40-man roster/strictly minor leaguers filter in towards the end of February with some are already in Arizona/Florida working out.

Early around the first week in March, the minor league camp comes together and works separately from the MLB camp - though a lot of minor leaguers maybe on call for intrasquad games with some MLBers who need some at-bats or innings pitched or on call to play in MLB spring training games [split squad, particularly to go on road trips].

boxbreaker44 said:
Do players who are not on the 40 man roster and not a non-roster invitee go to spring training?

Members online

No members online now.