Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First Venture Into a Football Player PC - Derrick Williams

Good Idea or Bad Idea

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
This is my first attempt at a player pc in terms of football. By no means am I a Lions fan.....just really like the colors, and they make for some awesome patches. I am a Bills fan, but there isn't anyone on the team right now that I like enough to start collecting. Hopefully that changes with this year's draft. Anywho, I decided to start up a collection of Derrick Williams. He was awesome at Penn State. I realize his numbers this year were awful, but I am hoping next year he can stay healthy and get more chances to get on the field. Just thought I would share, and see what you all thought.

Note: I had to use eBay scans since all but one of these cards are on their way.

09SPRookieThreadsDerrickWilliams4CL.jpg

0000149690_1

!Bk8PBu!!mk~$(KGrHqEOKkMEtjhuEqNhBLZkuNsn8w~~_35.jpg

!Bi6-kB!BGk~$(KGrHqEOKj0Esls1Pr5RBLRT+PRM8!~~_35.jpg

!Bk77PsgBGk~$(KGrHqMH-C8Es-c3rG!EBLZjqTQ,Tg~~_35.jpg

!BlDN2uwBmk~$(KGrHqMH-CMEs82!,!pqBL,FRTYpgw~~_35.jpg

lumm0x

May 23, 2009
I voted not sure. Do you like Williams enough as a player to keep up with his stuff? Chances are he won't have much for second year releases due to his lack of performance so far. There are definitely opportunities on the Lions and who's to say they don't start to progress as a team over the next couple years. They have some offensive pieces and just need more experience together. Growing a solid defense should be Schwartz's m-o so if they can improve and give the offense a chance in some games they may be closer to a 6-10 team this year and maybe 8-8 the next if the pieces fall right.

As an investment I would say no, but if you think you'll keep it up then go for it. And shoot me your addy if you intend to as I may have a few.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
I voted not sure as well. Like Lumm0x mentioned he probably will have very few cards (if any) next year. You can make a nice rookie year collection of him if you like him that much. Those NT cards you grabbed sure are purtty :)

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I think it's a good idea, since Buffalo always reaches for someone too high in the draft, and that'll probably continue this year.

As a Penn State fan, I love DW. His signing there really started their rebuilding and he was a real threat everytime he touched the ball. He had some nagging injuries coming out of camp last year, but I love his potential as a playmaker on offense/defense and special teams. I would have started a PC of him, but no job for most of last year cut down my Collecting. And also, the patches I've seen of him have been great looking.

Good luck either way and enjoy!

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Guess it depends on if you'd be upset with the money you spent.

I did something similar with basketball a few years ago - collecting a cheaper player with potential not on "my team".
Turned out to be a waste of hundreds of dollars.
The one good thing out of it is since I bought something from every set released, it stands as a nice documentation of all the various sets released in 06/07. If you can live with something like that as the worst case scenario and not be pissed than it could be worthwhile.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Everyone, Thanks for the responses. Lots of different things to think about, as well as a lot of points brought up. The only cards I have ever bought with the intent of being an investment has been baseball. In my bucket are two basketball player pc's, Shawne Williams and Adam Morrison. Clearly, not a good investments lol. However, Morrison is one of my favorite players of all time, and Shawne Williams was one of those things, kinda like rymflaherty mentioned doing in his post. Just kinda snowballed out of control on that one (I've got close to 40 different autos from his rookie year).

What I have decided to do is this. I think I will move forward with this collection. However, I am going to budget what I am willing to spend on it, and not go overboard chasing after each card, and mainly focus on nice patches and autos. Also, I hope that the Bills are able to draft someone I enjoyed watching in college, so that I might be able to dedicate so time to collecting a player who plays for my team. Thank you all again!

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Sounds like a good solution. Good Luck.

I f I was to give one more piece of advice - it would probably be to focus on lower numbered stuff or the more collected sets. You said you'd probably be getting patches and auto's, so maybe you planned on that already.

Honestly he could have a very good year next year and the higher #'d rc autos's may still be the same price or less than they are now.
I mean you can go on Ebay and find rc auto's of Wayne, Boldin, Roddy White etc, for $20 and under and those guys are all-pro's or pro bowlers......so like I said, I'd focus on patches, lower #'d stuff or sets like SPA, Contenders, Exquisite, etc. Though that assumes you're looking for potential ROI, if it's mainly for fun than it's always best to go with what looks best.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Thanks again guys for the comments and opinions. I had a couple of the cards show up in yesterday's mail, and was able to scan them in. Look fantastic!

DerrickWilliamsBowmanSterlingGoldRe.jpg

DerrickWilliamsNationalTreasuresJsy.jpg

DerrickWilliamsNationalTreasures4CL.jpg

Also, decided the new collection needed this..... It is #'d 5/5

!BlwDI2QBWk~$(KGrHqYH-CQEtcklHQz,BLc4MjIg6!~~_35.jpg

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
gonzagacubs said:
Thanks again guys for the comments and opinions. I had a couple of the cards show up in yesterday's mail, and was able to scan them in. Look fantastic!

DerrickWilliamsBowmanSterlingGoldRe.jpg

DerrickWilliamsNationalTreasuresJsy.jpg

DerrickWilliamsNationalTreasures4CL.jpg

Also, decided the new collection needed this..... It is #'d 5/5

!BlwDI2QBWk~$(KGrHqYH-CQEtcklHQz,BLc4MjIg6!~~_35.jpg

Very nice additions :p

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
gonzagacubs said:
^^^ Thanks!

Decided I needed one more card to finish out the week. (Reached my budget for the week)

!Bl67Q(QB2k~$(KGrHqIH-DwEtrgn3wd)BLdrf+yG7Q~~_35.jpg

That's a good one to reach your budget on :shock:

Latest posts