Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark Mulder retires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Crazy!

Brewers pitching coach Rick Peterson has confirmed that left-hander Mark Mulder has decided to retire, reports Adam McCalvy of MLB.com.

It was first reported by Lance Allan of TMJ4 in Milwaukee on Sunday night. The 32-year-old left-hander has decided to hang it up rather than attempt a comeback on a minor league contract. Mulder hangs it up after nine big league seasons with the Athletics and Cardinals, compiling a career record of 103-60 to go along with a 4.18 ERA and 1.34 WHIP. Mulder was a two-time All-Star and finished second in the American League Cy Young award voting in 2001 when he won 21 games as a 23 year old. It's a real shame injuries had to cut his career short.

Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Sad to see another top-notch pitcher derailed by injuries. At least he didn't try to drain every last $$$ out of a team though...

Phish

May 19, 2009
I was a huge Mulder fan when he was on the A's along with Zito and Hudson. Fun times to be a kid!

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
gt2590 said:
Sad to see another top-notch pitcher derailed by injuries. At least he didn't try to drain every last $$$ out of a team though...

I think if he really wanted to try and comeback, he shouldn't feel like the public eye would have him under a microscope by claiming he is "stealing $$$"

Yours Truly,
Mark Prior

Canocollector#1

Aug 16, 2008
BIG APPLE
Maybe not....
1:14pm: Mulder's agent Gregg Clifton told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that reports of his client retiring are not accurate, and Mulder hasn't made a decision (Twitter link).

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Wow, if true, this is disappointing. I've always been a big Mulder fan as he was one of the few guys who took the time to come over to the fans to sign some autographs before the 2003 All Star Game. I've been waiting for a comeback out of him ever since he was first sidelined by injuries. He's pretty young to retire, but if that's what he decides then it must be what is best for him.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Wow so now all we need is Mark Prior to realize he to can not pitch anymore.

Sorry to see him go, but sometimes it is for the best to know when to call it quits.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
One of my favorite players ever. I was so ectastic when the Cardinals acquired him. Even when he was injured in 05, he still had something like 17 wins, including a 10 inning shutout over Clemens.

He seemed to be rumored to be signing with the Brewers for almost forever.

Members online