Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Team Collectors: How Many Men Do You Collect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
So, with the newest additions of: Charles Ruiz, Nolan Arenado, Rex Brothers, Ben Paulsen, Kent Matthes, Tim Wheeler and Tyler Matzek, to the team. I am finding myself thinking that I collect too many players? Luckily, it is just Rookie Cards for me, with the exception of Joe Koshansky and Matt Holliday, whom I collect High-end cards of (relative to Joe, I suppose). Why'll it's fine right now, I'm wondering how far and intricate do team collectors get; at FCB? Do you collect just prospects/stars? GU? High-end? Etc....

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
I mainly focus on my favorite 7 phillies: I collect as high end as I can at the time but after buying the 3 howard sin my sig over the past 5 months, I now can afford nothing but they were (phillies phan joke that would be funnier if Werth was my #1 guy) WERTH it ;) .

Ryan Howard
Chase Utley
Cole Hamels
Jimmy Rollins
Jayson Werth
Cliff Lee
Pedro Martinez

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I like to think I have a fairly rounded lower-mid range Pirates collection. I have about 3000 different base cards, and a pretty diverse range of parallels and inserts from the 90's and 00's. Most of my focus goes into my Pirate autograph collection and Jack Wilson collections, so most of my rarer and more valuable cards fall under those categories. While I add autos of any of the prospects that come out to keep my auto collection relatively up to date, I don't put much money or emphasis on that aspect. With the players so far from even putting on a Pirate uniform for even a day, I just can't justify paying the kind of money prospectors shell out for rare prospect cards. Especially when such a low percentage of prospects pan out, and prices usually drop significantly even if they do reach the majors. I watched people pay crazy money for J.R. House cards in the early 00's. I have been able to add those same cards to my collection for $.99. Even for players that did develop into major league regulars like Paul Maholm and Ryan Doumit, their prices are lower now than when they were in A ball.

I think at a certain point you have to distinguish between who are players you collect, and guys you happen to have quite a few cards of, if that makes any sense. I only consider myself a player collector of Wilson, Lou Collier, and Warren Morris, actively picking up any cards I don't have whenever possible. I have pretty sizable collections (200+ different cards) of others like Andy Van Slyke or Aramis Ramirez, but I don't actively add to those collections as player collections. Unless you have fairly deep pockets, there is only so much money to go around. I find it more enjoyable to focus on a smaller number of players to try to have a "complete" collection, while also adding decent cards other current and former Buccos whenever possible.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Anyone in a Yankees uniform. It's not exclusively that, though. For example, I picked up a couple copies of Mussina's RC from 91 score even though he is an Oriole.

Ant

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
If they're in a Cardinals uniform on the card, and it's aesthetically pleasing, I want it.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
just check my list [168 bucket] thats just home team players i've met with cards ,still waiting for others. Advantage of having local minor league team .

Latest posts