Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"True" Gems - The Hobby Poll

"True" Gems....

• Should be recognized at a premium - BGS should add a new label

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig - 21hawk

Aug 7, 2008
St. Paul, MN
D: All grading is fabricated doo-doo. As long as it isn't bent in half, have fuzzy corners or surface, and isn't horribly miscut its a good card.

That said, I know grading isn't going anywhere, and if I were collecting graded cards I'd prefer an all 9.5 to a 9.5 with 9.0 subs due to the added rarity.

Craig

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
ThoseBackPages said:
gracecollector said:
I think I need to know how you are defining it before I say I agree/disagree.

like this..........

2005TrueGemBanner2.jpg

So are you saying a BGS 9.5 with no subs below 9.5? Then I vote for fabricated bunch of doo-doo.
A true gem is a BGS 10. Why should anything less be a true gem when there is something higher? A 9.5 is just a Gem. A 10 is a True Gem, and a 10 with all 10 subs is a Perfect Gem.

It's all baloney anyway.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
gracecollector said:
ThoseBackPages said:
gracecollector said:
I think I need to know how you are defining it before I say I agree/disagree.

like this..........

2005TrueGemBanner2.jpg

So are you saying a BGS 9.5 with no subs below 9.5? Then I vote for fabricated bunch of doo-doo.
A true gem is a BGS 10. Why should anything less be a true gem when there is something higher? A 9.5 is just a Gem. A 10 is a True Gem, and a 10 with all 10 subs is a Perfect Gem.

It's all baloney anyway.

PRISTINE

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
as long as it's a gold label, that is all i care about!

plus, i've noticed that although i do not buy many slabbed cards, i would treat a 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9 as the same as 10, 10, 9.5, 9.5 (this is 9.5, right?) in terms of my spending

dave

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Frow said:
It does seem silly that people put so much stock into the main grade of 9.5 or 9, but then couldn't give a crap about the subs

the subs are what makes the main grade.

If you give a crap about the main grade, you give a crap about the subs. However most of us arent anal enough to require a 9.5 all the way around. I don't like off center cards, so i perfer a 9.5 centering grade.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
cgilmo said:
Frow said:
It does seem silly that people put so much stock into the main grade of 9.5 or 9, but then couldn't give a crap about the subs

the subs are what makes the main grade.

If you give a crap about the main grade, you give a crap about the subs. However most of us arent anal enough to require a 9.5 all the way around. I don't like off center cards, so i perfer a 9.5 centering grade.

ZINGER!!! :lol:

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
daveyou said:
as long as it's a gold label, that is all i care about!

plus, i've noticed that although i do not buy many slabbed cards, i would treat a 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9 as the same as 10, 10, 9.5, 9.5 (this is 9.5, right?) in terms of my spending

dave

Me too.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
A couple thoughts.

1. I believe you can tell the difference between an 8.5 and a 9.5, think of cards like Elite etc., the edges and corners are all dinged on an 8.5 and on the very small % of 9.5s this is not the case.

2. That leads me to my second thought, I like 9.5s simply because nicely centered clean cards look much nicer than those that aren't. How awful do the white chrome border cards look that are way o/c, ugh.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
A gem is a gem in my book. I too agree on centering but I have seen 9 centered cards that look 50/50 and on the other hand I have seen them at 70/30 too. I am all about the gold label. Sales wise I have never received more for 4 9.5's then 3 9.5's. I do not think it makes that much of a difference. To each his own.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
jcmint said:
A gem is a gem in my book. I too agree on centering but I have seen 9 centered cards that look 50/50 and on the other hand I have seen them at 70/30 too. I am all about the gold label. Sales wise I have never received more for 4 9.5's then 3 9.5's. I do not think it makes that much of a difference. To each his own.

i can think of at least one idiot that pays more for True Gems :)

Members online

Latest posts