Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Topps setting themselves up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
re: redemptions

Topps has maintained the policy (whether you like it or not) that is a redemption is NOT fulfilled they will send you a card or equal or greater value. They have used Beckett as their "outside" third party source. Recently collectors have been receiving replacements for cards and they have been of the design below (Dawson, Pinella, now Buchholtz). These cards are not pack available and have been made exclusively for replacements. When asked about were they obtained the value of these cards the answer from all Topps employees was, "Our staff provide the value on these cards".

Has Topps has placed themselves in a precarious situation by failing to use and outside source and creating an unknown quantity of cards for replacement?

I would like to hear thoughts.

!Bl5JFCwCGk~$(KGrHqIH-DgEtrfPTk!FBLdgJ6p3(g~~_12.jpg

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I brought this exact same thing up when I got an Adam Lind for a redemption of a dual auto out of co-signers.
How can they possibly put a value on these cards?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I think the best they could do would be to cite eBay sales as a determined value.

If that were the case, then that value would be $8-10 on average.

My opinion, they are screwing their customers, and possibly themselves if anyone raises a stink about it,
by shipping these out as replacements for any card determined to have a higher BV, unless they get someone
in Texas to go along with their "value".

gvsu96

Aug 7, 2008
You can call me Milton
Right from a pack of 2010 Topps baseball.

"Topps does not, in any manner, make representations as to weather its cards will attain any future value."

So it's funny to me their employees can come up with values on any card.

Jul 30, 2009
You can add Strawberry to the list of new "uncirulated" autos coming as replcements.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I received a replacment for my Ibanez red ink from topps heritage, normally I would be ticked, but the
replacment was an on card auto of Jorge Posada. I was just commenting a week ago when the beckett
came out that 60 bucks was low on the price of the Ibanez red ink, I wouldn't be surprised if topps
twisted beckett's arm to price these low so they didn't have to give much for them, plus this card has
only been out a few months and topps has already given up on it.

Normally this card would be sent back but the Jorge is really nice.

Kevin

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
schmidtfan20 said:
I received a replacment for my Ibanez red ink from topps heritage, normally I would be ticked, but the
replacment was an on card auto of Jorge Posada. I was just commenting a week ago when the beckett
came out that 60 bucks was low on the price of the Ibanez red ink, I wouldn't be surprised if topps
twisted beckett's arm to price these low so they didn't have to give much for them, plus this card has

Kevin

Got a scan?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
George it's funny you post this card since I got number 2 from them today for the
same not filled redemption card. First one was on Friday and now I have the second 1.

I did watch an auction for the same 2 redemptions I had in, and it close for like 4 bucks.
Here is number 2 now of this card Thanks Topps ::facepalm::

scan0003-2.jpg

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Rudzud said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

Got a scan?

Scan1-1.jpg

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
schmidtfan20 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if topps
twisted beckett's arm to price these low so they didn't have to give much for them

Great looking Posada auto. I would be happy with that as well.

Not sure if the quote above is a joke or said in jest, but there's no way Topps would ask Beckett to falsify the value of a card for such a small amount of money. It's not worth it to them on so many levels.
Besides, since they can say replacement cards are worth whatever they want, it doesn't matter what the BV of the redemption is.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Topps is actually only allowed to place a value on the card as to what it cost to produce the card. It is stated in the contracts to produce cards. I found this out when, I filed a claim against upper deck through the BBB. Won the claim because they stated secondary value on cards.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Still, even with all they are trying to do I would still think they are setting themselves up for a possible class action lawsuit. Although the only winners in that scenario would be the lawyers.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I sold an Ibanez Red Ink Auto to someone on these boards for $30.
I wonder what replacement card they will get.

Latest posts