Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Jersey Number Matter to Player Collectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthSideSluggers

Aug 7, 2008
Sunny Los Angeles
How much of a premium do people place on jersey numbered cards like this (granted its BGS 9.5 and the only one out there) but will the number increase the price at all? and I'm not talking all of the crappy ebay 1/1 scams out there, just player collectors who like to collect jersey numbered items for their player?
DSCF0014.jpg

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
Re: Pujols Graded Game Used Question

I think they are cool but it's it's obvious people on Ebay put more of a premium on it than I do.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
As a seller, you get no premium on selling a Pujols card that is serial numbered 05/XX or 005/***.

As a buyer, you pay twice as much.

I have no idea how it happens, but it has something to do with antimatter and the creation of the universe.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Def. not something I place a premium on myself, because the way cards are serial numbered is completely random and arbitrary.

That being said, I have seen Dawson cards sell on eBay for up to twice as much when they are numbered 8/xx, and have seen sellers at shows trying to charge a huge premium even for the most basic of cards that are likewise numbered.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
I didn't put a premium on it, but when two of the same cards were offered to me, I went for 15/15....

PedroiaJumbopatchAU.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Can this thread be stickied? Someone asks this every week or two, so it must be really important to a lot of people.

SouthSideSluggers

Aug 7, 2008
Sunny Los Angeles
leatherman said:
As a seller, you get no premium on selling a Pujols card that is serial numbered 05/XX or 005/***.

As a buyer, you pay twice as much.

I have no idea how it happens, but it has something to do with antimatter and the creation of the universe.

I like this explanation....

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
It matters to me about as much as Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. (The longest word in a major dictionary and something I know nothing of.)

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I think I have a couple Johnson's #'d 55/***. I would pay a lot more, but maybe a couple bucks more. But that is just my personal collecting preference or choice ...

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
It matters to those who place a premium on jersey numbered cards.

Wait, is that a roundabout explanation, or does it actually make sense?

For me, yes, it does matter.

There are 500 similar looking evan longoria 2006 bowman draft chrome auto refractors, but only 1 of them is numbered 3/500. This is what sets you apart from your run-of-the-mill Longoria player collectors. Anyone can get a refractor auto, but only the best of the best player collector can have the one with his jersey number on it.

I can tell you it puts a HUGE premium on Michael Jordan high end inserts/autos.

And yes, my answer is the correct response, definitively. Hopefully no one asks this question again.

Chris D.

Aug 7, 2008
Personally, it means nothing. In fact, I will avoid cards numbered to a players jersey because I refuse to pay a premium because of a coincidence.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
How about this? The card itself is number 17, and the serial number is 17/100. so is that a 2/1? :twisted:

98pingap.jpg

I kid. I only paid $2.75 for the card (BIN) and I'm sure if it was at auction it might have gone for more.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Collectors may say that it doesn't matter, but only one person can have a players jersey # on a particular card
and if that card is a key card then it really does matter. I would put less value on say a card numbered
5/5, since there is a 20% of getting it, than a card that is numbered to say 100 and you have the jersey #. I don't
collect particular players but when I can land a jersey # that is really cool.

Kevin

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Better question is why grade a gu jersey card? I can tell you with certainty that adds very minimal to the end value if not a rc or at least auto gu. If you used fcb submission promo you may be ok but to pay $20+ for a $15 gu seems crazy.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
What happens to a player collector when his guy changes teams and jersey numbers?

For example, what happens to a player's cards whose jersey # is 3 when he gets traded to the Yankees, Braves, Indians, Giants, Twins, or White Sox? All of those teams have #3 retired. Does that mean that particular player collector would have to switch to collecting different numbers? And the premium they once paid means nothing now.

Here's a future ebay title:

1995 Score Jumbo Rules Alex Rodriguez #ed 3/3,000 (Former jersey # and 10 less than his current jersey #). Alex also had 3 hits last night on his way to 3,000 making this card a TRUE 1/1

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
cbrandtw said:
What happens to a player collector when his guy changes teams and jersey numbers?

For example, what happens to a player's cards whose jersey # is 3 when he gets traded to the Yankees, Braves, Indians, Giants, Twins, or White Sox? All of those teams have #3 retired. Does that mean that particular player collector would have to switch to collecting different numbers? And the premium they once paid means nothing now.

Here's a future ebay title:

1995 Score Jumbo Rules Alex Rodriguez #ed 3/3,000 (Former jersey # and 10 less than his current jersey #). Alex also had 3 hits last night on his way to 3,000 making this card a TRUE 1/1
:lol: thanked.

Members online

Latest posts