Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for Player/Team Collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canocollector#1

Aug 16, 2008
BIG APPLE
Pretty bored and was curious what other people think. If the player you collect or a player on the team you collect is traded or signs with another team, do you keep their cards in your PC?

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
That's the exact reason I generally refuse to collect anyone from my favorite team. I broke my own rule by collecting a NE Patriot (Jerod Mayo), but I figured he's a defensive player so the collection shouldn't get too big or too expensive if I ever do lose interest.

I've tried collecting Boston Celtics or Patriots before and when they leave the team I lose interest too.

Nov 6, 2009
Texas
I unload.

I only collect people that stay with the team long term or are rookies with the team.

I collected David Carr until he got traded, and am dumping his cards. Same with Willy Taveres. This is the same reason I don't collect Tejada, or any other free agents.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I collect Pirates, whether past or present. As long as they're in a Pirate uniform, it's in the PC. With the amount of player movement in the game today, I never really understood the people that would go out and buy every card they could get their hands on of a player who would join the team, only to dump them all when the player left town (which in many cases could be a year or two later). I collect the players because I love the team, and enjoy seeing the player play during his time in Pittsburgh. The fact that they may go to another team doesn't change or negate that time as a Pirate, in my eyes.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
With all the time and effort and funds that I've spent on Josh Johnson, it'd be tough for me to let any go (including dupes).

As for Northcutt, he's so cheap that nobody cares about him, so I can get stuff for wooden nickels and pocket lint.

Canocollector#1

Aug 16, 2008
BIG APPLE
Some interesting answers :) Personally it would be hard to let my Canos go, but my Yankee PC I usually will unload them if they leave, such as Melky, Damon, and Matsui etc...

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
I faced this in 1994 when Will Clark signed with the Rangers. Selling my collection was never an option, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep collecting his new, non-Giant, cards. Eventually I decided that I did, and I'm happy with that decision. I do know of several other Will Clark collectors that focus exclusively on his Giants cards, and many others that are more interested in his Giants cards, but do collect them all. I'd probably put myself in that category, as I collect them all but am *more* interested in his earlier cards.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
Yes I do. Two cases come to mind: Garrett Atkins and Matt Holliday. I consider myself a player collector of the latter, in that I not only go for their RCs, but their high-end...anything, in a Rockies uniform. If I have funds available, I would go for anything Atkins in a Rockies uni, regardless of the fact that he is now in Baltimore.

I do the same with prospects, such as Connor Graham and Brandon Hynick, both traded last year for Rafael Betancourt and Jose Contreras ( ::facepalm:: ) respectively. I am pretty much done with the former, as I only need their Xfractor to finish of my RC set (and any other printing plate Aus). As for Brandon Hynick: Any Bowman Chrome I do not have.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
As a Player Collector, I collect for the PLAYER, not for the team he's on, regardless if it's my favorite team or not.

It's the one thing I've never understood about Player collectors who dump when the player moves on. If you like the player, then what's it matter? Do you no longer like the player now that he's moved on?

Either way...I've got cards of Reynolds as a Mariner, Padre, Angel and Oriole...and it will always stay that way.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
ajw said:
I faced this in 1994 when Will Clark signed with the Rangers. Selling my collection was never an option, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep collecting his new, non-Giant, cards. Eventually I decided that I did, and I'm happy with that decision. I do know of several other Will Clark collectors that focus exclusively on his Giants cards, and many others that are more interested in his Giants cards, but do collect them all. I'd probably put myself in that category, as I collect them all but am *more* interested in his earlier cards.

From a player collector perspective, I believe it becomes much harder to walk away from the collection when a player has spent nearly 10 years as a key player on a team than players that may leave at or before free agency. When Bobby Bonilla and Andy Van Slyke left Pittsburgh, I largely lost interest in their cards, and only limited myself to their Pirate cards. It was a more difficult decision when Jack Wilson was traded last year.

Perhaps because he had been in rumored deals for the past 2-3 seasons, I had already thought about the issue a great deal. Ultimately, I decided to continue my collection until his career is finished. It was still strange to see his first few cards in a Mariner's uniform, but I don't regret my decision.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Sly said:
As a Player Collector, I collect for the PLAYER, not for the team he's on, regardless if it's my favorite team or not.

It's the one thing I've never understood about Player collectors who dump when the player moves on. If you like the player, then what's it matter? Do you no longer like the player now that he's moved on?

Either way...I've got cards of Reynolds as a Mariner, Padre, Angel and Oriole...and it will always stay that way.
Haven't dumped, just stopped buying. And stopped collecting current players period.

henderson939 said:
I agree wth Sly. If you are a player collector, you would follow that guy, no matter where he goes.
There are no absolutes when it comes to collecting.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Sly said:

Sly, I think it goes the other way too. I never understood team collectors who only collect the 25 guys on the roster. I collect the Pirates because I enjoy the history of the team and the memories that I have of the players I have had the opportunity to watch play in Pittsburgh. To me, I have no interest in adding Andy LaRoche Dodger cards or Lastings Milledge Mets cards, nor would I dump the Pirate cards of those players if they left for another team.

I collect the team that I have grown up with and the players that make up those memories, plus those that have come before. I don't fault those that collect differently, as we all enjoy this bobby in our own way; however, I've always been curious what the line of thought behind that style of collecting was.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
As a Rickey Henderson collector, I'm used to my player switching teams... A LOT! :lol:

It was sad when Sabathia switched from my favorite team, the Indians, to my least favorite team, the Yankees. That's a tough situation. Luckily the Indians are hard to cheer for, so it's kinda nice to watch a team win.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Sly said:

Could be a bad break. I used to collect Deion Branch when he was with the Patriots. He basically forced his way out of town because he wanted more money even though he was already under contract. I lost interest in him.

It could be just lack of exposure. You get used to watching a player most of the time you watch a game if he's on your home team. If he signs somewhere else or gets traded then you don't watch him as much and can lose interest.

I'm sure there are other factors that could come into play, but those were two I've experienced. I also don't just "dump" the player after he leaves. Usually the collection just sits there and I stop adding to it.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
as Sly already stated I collect the player not the team. granted I chose Bay because he was a Pirate but when he was traded to the Red Sox (my 2nd favorite team) I still collected him and now that he will play for the Mets (I neither like nor dislike them) I will still collect him. I don't care what team (yes even the Yankees) he plays for I will always collect Bay.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
Sigh, time to justify: I collect the team, and on the off chance that a player makes an impression on me, while on my team, then I will go over my specializing to collect even more. When the player leaves, I don't stop enjoying him, or consider him in a negative light. It's just, that he is no longer in the team which I enjoy.

Matt Holliday has been through two additional teams since I decided to go for his high-end 1/1s: To this day, I am still on that train, with the intention of still picking up an Atomic-Refractor (RC).

It seems that it's really a matter of semantics, as "player collector" seems to imply "[super] player collector." Or any title that notes an extreme.

For all general Rockies men, call me: RC team collector.

For Matt Holliday: High-End-and-RC-in-Rockies-uni player collector.

For Joe Koshansky: [Super] player collector.

Don't you just love, labeling everything? :benson:

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
henderson939 said:
I agree wth Sly. If you are a player collector, you would follow that guy, no matter where he goes.

Chashawk-There are no absolutes when it comes to collecting.[/quote]

You are right, but we are talking player collectors. TRUE fans & collectors of certain players follow their guy(s). That is what player collectors do. Guys who change their mind about who they are collecting every other week are not true player collectors in my eyes.

Members online