Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

~eBay Anomolies~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Messier2 is absolutely right. And Sandoval is a younger player with collectors who shell out that kind of coin. But they're not 'crazy' because YOU wouldn't do it yourself.

thenumberonemetfan said:
Messier2 said:
Four Words = Crazy Topps Set Collectors

Nothing to do with the player.

uniquebaseballcards in 3....2.....1.......

Now, the comment below makes no sense....Using this logic, this is Griffey's what, "21st year card", and wouldn't it be more expensive??! But that kind of terminology is only useful when discussing minor league guys which Sandoval certainly is not.
When Griffeys are getting $20-$30, almost $60 for a Sandoval 3rd year is pretty outrageous.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I've noticed Sandoval cards, mainly the Prime Time Patches going higher than expected in Topps Unique. At first I thought set collectors, but it seems more likely a combo of a number of player collectors wanting multiples of certain cards combined with set collectors.

Alex

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Messier2 is absolutely right. And Sandoval is a younger player with collectors who shell out that kind of coin.

thenumberonemetfan said:
Messier2 said:
Four Words = Crazy Topps Set Collectors

Nothing to do with the player.

uniquebaseballcards in 3....2.....1.......

Now, the comment below makes no sense....Using this logic, this is Griffey's what, "21st year card", and wouldn't it be more expensive??! But that kind of terminology is only useful when discussing minor league guys which Sandoval certainly is not.
When Griffeys are getting $20-$30, almost $60 for a Sandoval 3rd year is pretty outrageous.
It's still an anomaly considering the last 5 sales of that card have been 23, 15, 45, 41, and 43. It went for $10 more than any of those sales and usually cards go down soon after release not up.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I see what you're saying. I've noticed that some sets sell slowly at the beginning and pick up as more people get into the set and fade away in a year or two. With Topps these last few years, more people may actually be trying to finish the gold set or even base set before moving on to the black set.

There are only 59 copies in the black set and plus or minus ten dollars isn't very much money. But in another year I'd guess the same card would probably sell for $30 - although it wouldn't be surprising if it sold for $50 or more either.

What nobody really knows is how much the card would sell for in twenty years. THAT will be interesting to find out.

nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
It's still an anomaly considering the last 5 sales of that card have been 23, 15, 45, 41, and 43. It went for $10 more than any of those sales and usually cards go down soon after release not up.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

I was only using their years in the league to point out that it's not Sandoval's rookie card. It's not normal for this card to outsell some of the best sellers in the entire league. I'm a huge Pablo fan and his RC stuff sells like garbage, so it's strange to see this card outselling almost every player.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'm not arguing with you, and see what you're saying. Not everyone is a prospector or seller or only buys first year or rookie cards although this board sometimes may make it seem that way.

But another explanation could have been the second-place bidder just driving up the price on the winner. The winner may have won a bunch of other Sandovals or Blacks over the second-place bidder and the second place guy just got frustrated :)

But like I said, ten bucks isn't very much considering these kinds of cards. I'm assuming you weren't in the hobby a dozen years ago - a card like this would be selling for five times as much!

sportscardtheory said:
I was only using their years in the league to point out that it's not Sandoval's rookie card. It's not normal for this card to outsell some of the best sellers in the entire league. I'm a huge Pablo fan and his RC stuff sells like garbage, so it's strange to see this card outselling almost every player.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm not arguing with you, and see what you're saying. Not everyone is a prospector or seller or only buys first year or rookie cards although this board sometimes may make it seem that way.

But another explanation could have been the second-place bidder just driving up the price on the winner. The winner may have won a bunch of other Sandovals or Blacks over the second-place bidder and the second place guy just got frustrated :)

But like I said, ten bucks isn't very much considering these kinds of cards. I'm assuming you weren't in the hobby a dozen years ago - a card like this would be selling for five times as much!

sportscardtheory said:

I have been in this hobby since 1989. I am on eBay all the time and know what kind of prices most cards pull. It's crazy that Pablo Sandoval is outselling, by a wide margin, players like Albert Pujols, Derek Jeter and Ken Griffey Jr. in the same set. Rookie cards garner premiums, that's just a fact, and the fact that these are three years removed from his RC year makes these some very surprising sales, given his RC sales. Unless Pablo is becoming a hobby juggernaut, I would say these sales are not normal. I'm pretty sure no other card from this set has reached this price. I read that Pablo is slimming down and working out, so I know a lot is expected of him this season, but he is not at the Pujols/Jeter/Griffey Jr. level yet and certainly not above them.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Heh, the only thing crazy in this hobby are the amounts some people try to sell their cards for (damn BINs), not the people who are actually paying for them.

Of course people may pay unexpectedly high prices because they are gambling for a big payday, uninformed, misguided by a seller(s), or have too much money (or more than you do), but calling someone 'crazy' for paying a price implies that you know every reason that affects the price of that particular card and/or know the size of that person's wallet...The card is worth what someone (here two people at auction) is willing to pay for it and someone paid for it. I'm not arrogant enough to call the buyer 'crazy' because I don't know all the reasons why the buyer bought the card, the hobby is too complicated and so are people.

We know the other reasons why people pay big bucks that are hobby related in a traditonal sense, I suppose some call these sane or uncrazy reasons for buying a card...?

I only thought you weren't in the hobby a dozen years ago because cards like this (#/d 59) would have gone for a couple hundred dollars or more in the past (at least BV), plus I thought you were saying cards get less expensive the longer the player's been in the league.

Sorry if I sound arrogant myself here... ;)

sportscardtheory said:
[/quote]

I have been in this hobby since 1989. I am on eBay all the time and know what kind of prices most cards pull. It's crazy that Pablo Sandoval is outselling, by a wide margin, players like Albert Pujols, Derek Jeter and Ken Griffey Jr. in the same set. Rookie cards garner premiums, that's just a fact, and the fact that these are three years removed from his RC year makes these some very surprising sales, given his RC sales. Unless Pablo is becoming a hobby juggernaut, I would say these sales are not normal. I'm pretty sure no other card from this set has reached this price. I read that Pablo is slimming down and working out, so I know a lot is expected of him this season, but he is not at the Pujols/Jeter/Griffey Jr. level yet and certainly not above them.[/quote]

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:

With those data points, the outlier price points seem to be 23 and 15. 45, 41, 43, and 53 form the logical range.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
maxpower said:
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:

With those data points, the outlier price points seem to be 23 and 15. 45, 41, 43, and 53 form the logical range.

maybe someone is just trying to create a new series similar to Lost

Members online