Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TriStar Pursuit: Looks Nice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Is it just me, or has TriStar upped their game since losing the MiLB license to Topps.

Pursuit-SalesSheet-2.jpg

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Interesting...I thought Tristar was done producing baseball cards after Topps was given the official MILB license to make minor league cards.

I wonder if this will be another attempt to do a 'high-end' minor league product i.e. 2007 Tristar Elegance.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Lars said:
Interesting...I thought Tristar was done producing baseball cards after Topps was given the official MILB license to make minor league cards.

This is their second release after losing the license. 2009 Prospects Plus was the first.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
ru4scuba said:
Lars said:

This is their second release after losing the license. 2009 Prospects Plus was the first.

I thought 2009 Prospects Plus was going to be their last baseball release.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
i like how they have the low numbered ones inscribed or with a full name auto. adds a bit of value & the 1/1 is actually a bit different than the base auto, not "just a different color" like bowman chrome autos.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Notice the pictures are the same style as Upper Deck.

Not showing any team logos.... catchers with chest protectors on... pitchers with arms up.

TRISTAR Productions

Nov 11, 2009
Houston, TX
We hope everyone is looking forward to our upcoming release, and we'd appreciate any feedback you'd like us to be aware of (thanks to each of you that have already given great responses to this new release). How do you like our design, the inscribed and full name autographed cards and/or that the complete base set (1-75) is each box? How about the new addition of being able to find an original 1939 Ted Williams rookie card?

Do you have any questions for us that we may not have answered?

Below are larger card images of #56, Jason Heyward (full name autograph), and his card back.
56_Heyward_A.jpg

056_CardBack.jpg

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
i have been a fan of projections and prospects + since they debuted in 2006. however, the success of these products is determined by the price point imho. most collectors are going to have a tough time shelling out $90+ for a non licensed, minor league set regardless of the perceived value. with that said, i will be picking up a few singles :p

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
only 60 cases
(insert thumbs up icon)

At this point for baseball cards, it's either Topps, or an unlicensed card company.

Doesn't this put Panini / Donruss / Leaf / Playoff , Upper Deck, and Tristar on the same level?
Being that these companies don't have an mlb license, shouldn't they be judged on what they bring to the table equally?

A nice looking, limited product - with on card auto's and inscriptions. This is the type of thing everyone wants to see.

I'll be looking forward to it. It looks pretty nice. I haven't bought Bowman in multi-box or case form in quite a while because of the wbc's and limited hits. Granted, Bowman with the license - but oh well. I've bought Donruss Elite and Upper Deck minor league stuff, so that really doesn't bother me a whole lot.

I don't see why most collectors would "have a tough time shelling out $90+ for a non licensed, minor league set..." I bought a couple boxes of Elite for that price.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I have always been a fan of TriStar. This sets design, albeit very nice, it just another quality product from them I am use to seeing. Certinly not a break out set in terms of upping quality in my humble opinion, but rather putting forth another nice looking batch of cards. I will without question be breaking some of this, as I do every year, and revel in the goodness of quality cards for a reasonable price.

:cool:

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I like the idea of the inscriptions and full name autos. Tristar obviously has to do something to differentiate themselves from the elite manufacturers, and this looks like a great start. The cards look fantastic.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Kevbo said:
only 60 cases
(insert thumbs up icon)

At this point for baseball cards, it's either Topps, or an unlicensed card company.

Doesn't this put Panini / Donruss / Leaf / Playoff , Upper Deck, and Tristar on the same level?
Being that these companies don't have an mlb license, shouldn't they be judged on what they bring to the table equally?

A nice looking, limited product - with on card auto's and inscriptions. This is the type of thing everyone wants to see.

I'll be looking forward to it. It looks pretty nice. I haven't bought Bowman in multi-box or case form in quite a while because of the wbc's and limited hits. Granted, Bowman with the license - but oh well. I've bought Donruss Elite and Upper Deck minor league stuff, so that really doesn't bother me a whole lot.

I don't see why most collectors would "have a tough time shelling out $90+ for a non licensed, minor league set..." I bought a couple boxes of Elite for that price.

I disagree with your assertion. Donruss has a track history of producing cards for almost 30 years. If you collected as a child, you have Donruss cards in your collection. UD has been producing cards for 21 years. For the most part, same thing - you have a history of collecting UD. UD and Donruss have put out quality major league cards for their entire existence and have always had a history of being on the same level as each other as well as Fleer and Topps. The "big 4" as it were, were equal, for the most part. Just and Best and all of the "minor league" companies were a far step below, no matter how high quality the products were.

Fast forward to today:

Donruss and UD will keep their reputation, whether or not they have licencing. Tristar and Razor and Just will keep their reputations, should they continue to produce cards, which is -- essentially -- not one of the top dogs. The Tristar stuff is VERY nice, but until they pull down major league licensing, which will likely never happen, they will always be a step --a big step -- below Donruss and UD, no matter whether UD and Donruss have licensing or not. That's public perception, right or wrong.

Members online