Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Confusion with Topps Unique

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
So in another thread I pointed out that on the Reggie Wayne Reebok logo patch they used a red reebok logo. With that said I figured it was from a Pro Bowl jersey with some form of notation on the front or back. Nope.

Fast forward to today and I am tracking the Peyton Manning letter patches. Can anyone point out why there are three "N" patches for sale right now? Did they use two Manning jerseys for these cards?

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
RITM said:
So in another thread I pointed out that on the Reggie Wayne Reebok logo patch they used a red reebok logo. With that said I figured it was from a Pro Bowl jersey with some form of notation on the front or back. Nope.

Fast forward to today and I am tracking the Peyton Manning letter patches. Can anyone point out why there are three "N" patches for sale right now? Did they use two Manning jerseys for these cards?

Manning has 3 N's ;)

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Probably. Hey man, do you know if Ripken really walked in on his wife banging Kevin Costner? I know you have heard that rumor. Would love to know if it is true.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
hah, quote this for posterity: I am an idiot.

Going to bed now.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
bodiaz said:
Probably. Hey man, do you know if Ripken really walked in on his wife banging Kevin Costner? I know you have heard that rumor. Would love to know if it is true.

Not a true story. If my memory is correct there is another part of the story that included the power grid going out before the game. The story was that Cal found his wife having an affair and called the O's and told them he was not coming. Wanting to keep the streak alive someone supposedly went and pulled the power grid so the lights would not come on and they had an excuse to call the game. There are plenty of reporters for both teams involved that confirm that Cal was at the park that day. I've had the pleasure of corresponding with him for my site a couple of times now. There's no way I would touch that one with him. There's more than enough evidence to show that he has a strong family.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Now this just leaves the question of the Wayne patch...

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
RITM said:
bodiaz said:

Not a true story. If my memory is correct there is another part of the story that included the power grid going out before the game. The story was that Cal found his wife having an affair and called the O's and told them he was not coming. Wanting to keep the streak alive someone supposedly went and pulled the power grid so the lights would not come on and they had an excuse to call the game. There are plenty of reporters for both teams involved that confirm that Cal was at the park that day. I've had the pleasure of corresponding with him for my site a couple of times now. There's no way I would touch that one with him. There's more than enough evidence to show that he has a strong family.

Yes, I heard that part also. I heard he showed up about an hour and a half late and the lights magically came on and they played that night. Also heard Ripken had some scratches on his face. I'll have to find a Costner fan and ask if he may know if it is true or not.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
For the Wayne, maybe they just didn't mark it a Pro Bowl, and it actually is.

It could be a mistake and be somebody else's jersey.

Could it be a Senior Bowl jersey?

301bowmanseniorbowl.png

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
thenumberonemetfan said:
RITM said:

Manning has 3 N's ;)
Man, that is great! :lol:

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
IndyMann said:
thenumberonemetfan said:
RITM said:

Manning has 3 N's ;)
Man, that is great! :lol:

Brain cramp!

I asked the seller about the Wayne and I guess he had not thought about it. No response from Topps though. The thing that stiks out is that all of the patch cards with a Pro Bpwl piece specifically say it is a Pro Bowl patch. With that said it leads me to think they put the wrong patch on the card. Either way I won't drop a ton of coin on a red Wayne patch card with nothing to identify the origin unless Topps clarifies things.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
I agree. There is some questions in my mind with the Eddie Royal Unique 1/1 sizing tags. Both say size 50 which cannot be right. The three jerseys of Royal on JO Sports Co are all 44. The Housh letter I guess is from the Pro Bowl as well, but it looks orange to me, which would be impossible from a legit jersey. Lastly, the logos are not really jiving. Both Fortes are old style, however the logo change started his rookie year. I have seen other companies with logos that are worn like that, but the gamers on JO that are from 2008 all have the updated logos on them.

I will say, of the couple Housh gamers I have seen, all of them are size 44 so that helps me with it.

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
I was looking at Chris Cooley cards from the set yesterday, and there are a number of blue ones including one with the letters "RO." I presume this is from the Pro Bowl, as there are other patches which seem to back up this assumption. There isn't any kind of notation on the back saying that these are Pro Bowl patches, but they certainly are.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Let me preface this by saying it is pure speculation. Assuming the Wayne patch is a Pro Bowl could it be that other logo patches are Pro Bowl and not regular season used?

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Add Marvin Harrison to the list. He has a patch card out of 50 that is red and white. All the card says is "game worn" in the description. At first I loved the look and concept of these cards. Now I see a bunch of cards I am afraid to touch. Waiting to see if Peyton's jersey or Reebok tag appears before long. I plan to give Topps a call in hopes of getting clarification. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they are using Pro Bowl jerseys for some players and regular season jerseys for others. Rather than doing a different subset of cards they are using different jerseys for the same cards.

With that being said how would a Pro Bowl vs regular season impact what you pay? Does it matter? It might not impact what I pay but I would like knowing if a shield is from a regular season game vs a Pro Bowl game.

Members online

Latest posts