Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should MLB have an actual player as the logo like the NBA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Jerry West was the inspiration for the NBA logo and it's a actual picture of him in silhouette form. Should MLB have the same? If yes then who do you think it should be?
Me personally, I think a silhouette of Ruth would be amazing. There are certain portraits of Ruth that are iconic and you would know right away it's the great Bambino.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
PhotoUnavailable.jpg

:D :D :D

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
boxbreaker44 said:
It already is... Harmon Killabrew

No it's not. That's an urban legend.

I'm not sure if you consider Wikipedia a credible source but this is from there.

According to Dior, the logo was created in a single afternoon. Contrary to popular belief, the silhouette was not modeled after Harmon Killebrew or any specific player[1], but was drawn with reference to photographs of several players.[2] The silhouette was chosen specifically because of its ambiguity: the batter could be right- or left-handed and of any ethnic background. [2]

I can find other sources if you like.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Harmon says its him

"I was in the commissioner's office one day in the late 1960s. I can't remember the specifics, but I think it had something to do with a litho they were doing for the National Kidney Foundation. Anyway, I walked through the back part of the office, and there was a man sitting at a table. He had a photograph of me in a hitting position, and he had one of those grease pencils that you see at a newspaper, and he was marking that thing up. I said, 'What are you doing with that?' and he said they were going to make a new Major League Baseball logo. I never thought any more about it. And then the logo came out and it did look like me. The only change was the angle of the bat -- they changed that to kind of make it fit more into the design."

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
boxbreaker44 said:
kdailey4315 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Harmon says its him

"I was in the commissioner's office one day in the late 1960s. I can't remember the specifics, but I think it had something to do with a litho they were doing for the National Kidney Foundation. Anyway, I walked through the back part of the office, and there was a man sitting at a table. He had a photograph of me in a hitting position, and he had one of those grease pencils that you see at a newspaper, and he was marking that thing up. I said, 'What are you doing with that?' and he said they were going to make a new Major League Baseball logo. I never thought any more about it. And then the logo came out and it did look like me. The only change was the angle of the bat -- they changed that to kind of make it fit more into the design."

Jerry Dior, creator of the logo:

Nope. "I've never been in the commissioner's office," he says. "I wish I had -- that would be nice. But all the work I did on the logo was at the offices of Sandgren & Murtha [the marketing company where Dior worked at the time]." And is it possible that one of the photos he used to create the silhouetted batter could have been a shot of Killebrew? "It could have been, but it would have been bastardized, because there were several photographs that I kept altering. I wish I could say to Harmon that it's him, but I can't."

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:
boxbreaker44 said:
kdailey4315 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Harmon says its him

Jerry Dior, creator of the logo:

Nope. "I've never been in the commissioner's office," he says. "I wish I had -- that would be nice. But all the work I did on the logo was at the offices of Sandgren & Murtha [the marketing company where Dior worked at the time]." And is it possible that one of the photos he used to create the silhouetted batter could have been a shot of Killebrew? "It could have been, but it would have been bastardized, because there were several photographs that I kept altering. I wish I could say to Harmon that it's him, but I can't."

Good enough for me ;)

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
If they were to do something different now, it would be a big mistake. Even if they did model it after Ruth or Mantle or any old player, you know today it would have a bunch of lights and probably animtion and crap. There's no way they could keep it clean and simple like it should be.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I like the original logo best:simple and straightforward.

However, if they ever did change it, I would like it to be either a silhouette of Babe Ruth or a silhouette of this famous photo of Joe D taking a swing.

JoeDimaggio.jpg

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
I would have to go with Ted Williams swing if they were ever to change it, which I hope they dont to be honest with you.

Shep

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I believe it was created after the '90 Donruss Reverse negative of Juan Gonzalez ...

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
I like the current logo, but if they wanted to attribute it to a single player, I think Hank Aaron should be that player.

Using this shot as a model would help them to keep the logo relatively simple and similar to the current logo:

Hank.jpg

Members online

Latest posts