Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I speared a whale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Well, a whale for me. Once I focused my collecting to O'Neill auto the subset I really wanted to put together was the Topps Retired autographs. Now, this got a little interesting because there are 3 base auto and 3 refractor autos. The refractors are SP'd /25 and are very tough to find because the refractors are still very popular with set builders. I'm very happy to say that I finally competed the set with this awesome pickup.

BmgvO7wCGkKGrHqMOKkMEtlHBbeRcBLfzIL.jpg

It goes nicely with these...

0joneilzaref.jpg
Bdz3gwCGkKGrHqMH-DkEre7Jqq1qBK6gCP0.jpg

and these....

ONeillautos7.jpg

Thanks for looking

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Congrats ! They all look beautiful together :D

Love the '91 Topps one especially. One of my favorite designs of a Topps set ever.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
55_marlins_sp - Thanks!

EricChavezCollector3 - Thanks man! Most of the autos I'm looking for are not /25 or less, so almost everything is a whale. But the big boy out of these would be the 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game, game used bat barrel auto. There are 4 of these and I've only ever seen 1 of them and it went for about $400. So yeah, it's gonna be tough, but getting an auto like the one I found today keeps me in the game.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Nice win, and congrats on completing the set buddy! Love that Topps Original Auto BTW, and numbered to 21 no less!

This 04 Retired Refractor was the first "high-end" O'Neill auto I purchased back in 2006 when my collection was in its nascent stages. However, both 2003 cards have eluded me to this day. Well, I had actually purchased the 03 Refractor with the help of Magicpapa but unfortunately the mailer had gotten lost when my parents were moving along with $100 in other O'Neill cards. ::facepalm: Those mailers have never turned up and I am still very bummed about it.

O'Neill's last regular Topps card was in 2002 so it's nice how these 2003-05 Topps Retired sets gave him additional Topps cards design through 2005. Anyway, congrats again! Is this number 53 now!? I've got some catching up to do. :D

Here are mine...

***2004***

pon20050.jpg
pon20051.jpg

***2005***

pon200407a.jpg
pon200407.jpg

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Nice! The Topps Retired autos are great cards to collect for player collectors and they're one of my favorite parts of my Sox collection.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
MOFNY - Thanks man. Agreed, those sets look pretty damn sweet. It's too bad that they're getting too fancy these days. Just give us some good looking cards, preferable on-card autos and we'll be on it like a dog on a 3-legged cat.

Seiya - Thanks!

gldneagles311 - Thanks...and you are correct. Aside of the 97/98 Donruss Signatures they're my absolute favorite sets.

nevermore - Thanks Bro. It's taken a long time to get this one, and I knew you had it so I knew they were out there somewhere and I needed to get my hands on one of them! I severely overpaid for this one and the 2003, but that's just the bullet you have to bite sometimes to complete a set. And yes, once it's in my hands it will # 53.

mrwhitesox30 - Thanks! These are certainly cards that playerc ollectors drool over. On-card auto, great design, not much else we can ask for.

1995BBRefractorGuy - Thanks!

theplasticman - Thanks!

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Thought this thread was gonna be how you went out last night. Got drunk and hooked up with a fat chick and didnt know, Till you woke up this morning....Nice pick up though

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Nah, that would be over the the "General Chat" section. :lol:

Marro said:
Thought this thread was gonna be how you went out last night. Got drunk and hooked up with a fat chick and didnt know, Till you woke up this morning....Nice pick up though

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts