Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tomlinson to Texans??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
LT released by SD. Sounds like he may be off to the Texans.

Probably some decent news for Schaub, even if LT has lost a step or two.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
That's what I had heard a while back. It would make sense...if nothing else he would be better at the goalline and short yardage than Slaton.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Seiya said:
Doubtful, he wants to go to a championship team, not a sucky franchise like Houston.

He also said before last season that he hadn't lost a step and was in the best shape of his life and going to put up monster numbers.......so i'll take anything he says with a grain of salt. Though maybe it all just proves he still hasn;t excepted his current place in the league.

If he can latch onto a championship contender that would be great for him and would be glad to see it, but realistically I think there are a lot worse places to end up than Houston.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
rymflaherty said:
Seiya said:
Doubtful, he wants to go to a championship team, not a sucky franchise like Houston.

He also said before last season that he hadn't lost a step and was in the best shape of his life and going to put up monster numbers.......so i'll take anything he says with a grain of salt. Though maybe it all just proves he still hasn;t excepted his current place in the league.

If he can latch onto a championship contender that would be great for him and would be glad to see it, but realistically I think there are a lot worse places to end up than Houston.
Agreed, I'm not trying to hate on the Texans just stating some facts. He would do great in Houston, spell Slaton every once in a while, show him HOW TO HOLD ONTO THE BALL and such. He could put them over the hump with his leadership.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I actually hope (if they get him) they move to the Foster/Tomlinson combo. Tomlinson would be a perfect 3rd down back with his versatility. It would open the field up a bit.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If the Vikes lose Chester Taylor to FA (which is very likely), he'll sign there.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Add Westbrook to the list of recently released RB. Looks like McCoy gets a shot at #1 now.

Nov 6, 2009
Texas
1) Houston is much more likely to sign someone out of the draft. They've tried the 'old RB' before with Ron Dayne and others. No thanks.

2) Have they made the playoffs before? No. Can they? Yes. Remember, if Houston had won /one more/ game (and 6 of their 7 losses were very winnable), they'd have been in the playoffs. Also, if Indy (and then the Bengals) hadn't laid down for the Jets, Houston would have been in also. Now, I completely blame Houston for not /winning/ that game, but I wanted to point everything out.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
HoustonCollector said:
1) Houston is much more likely to sign someone out of the draft. They've tried the 'old RB' before with Ron Dayne and others. No thanks.

2) Have they made the playoffs before? No. Can they? Yes. Remember, if Houston had won /one more/ game (and 6 of their 7 losses were very winnable), they'd have been in the playoffs. Also, if Indy (and then the Bengals) hadn't laid down for the Jets, Houston would have been in also. Now, I completely blame Houston for not /winning/ that game, but I wanted to point everything out.

are you comparing ron dayne to tomlinson :?: ::facepalm::

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Seiya said:
J-Rod said:
Seiya said:
::facepalm::
they are pretty good right now
When was the last time they made the playoffs? Never
Do they have a realistic chance at a championship? Not really.

First off, I truly hope that Houston has learned it's lesson about "washed-up" veteran running back's & doesn't waste thier time or money on L.Tomlinson (as that is exactly what he is at this point in his career..."Washed-Up")!

Secondly, and this relates to the post which I quoted above, Houston in it's present state is not a "sucky" franchise & anyone who thinks them to be either hasn't paid attention to football over the last few season's or is what I like to call a "homer" football fan (this type of fan is only knowledgeable in term's of the NFL in regards to thier own home-team, they are clueless to the going's-on & everything else in the NFL that exist's outside of thier favorite/home team)! There is nothing wrong with being a "homer" football fan until, of course, that fan decides to start commenting & criticizing player's & team's that they are clueless about; these fan's should stick to the team's & player's that they know & are familar with (as it keeps them from sounding foolish)!

The Houston Texans have improved & taken several huge steps in the right direction over the past few season's. They are a playoff caliber team (as in "now") & with the right RB (not LDT) & the natural progression that occurs on a team with practice over the course of the year (the offense & defense synchronizing, the O-Line gelling, etc.) as well as whatever new addition's & change's amongst the staff; this Houston Texans team could have a realistic shot at a championship as soon as next season!

Please let the Texans take a pass on Tomlinson...PLEASE! :D

lumm0x

May 23, 2009
I think the problem with alot of perceptions of Houston comes from the fact their record doesn't reflect the strides they have made as an organization. I have no doubts they are a much better team than 3 years ago, but 8-8, 8-8, 9-7 shows most people mediocrity and leads them to question Kubiak and the direction of the team.

I fully agree that the last thing that team needs is to waste money on Tomlinson as he will want money that reflects what he has done and not what he will do. He's a 3.3 ypc back now with injury issues. That's back up money to me.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
lumm0x said:
I think the problem with alot of perceptions of Houston comes from the fact their record doesn't reflect the strides they have made as an organization. I have no doubts they are a much better team than 3 years ago, but 8-8, 8-8, 9-7 shows most people mediocrity and leads them to question Kubiak and the direction of the team.

I fully agree that the last thing that team needs is to waste money on Tomlinson as he will want money that reflects what he has done and not what he will do. He's a 3.3 ypc back now with injury issues. That's back up money to me.

The 2 season's before this one, where the Saints won the Super Bowl & closed out the season 13-3, the Saints went 7-9 (2007) & 8-8 (2008). Those people (fan's of the NFL) whom were uninformed on the team, the team development, the progression & development in player/team chemistry, & the personnel change's; probably thought the same of the Saints (mediocrity) as you had written above in the underlined statement about the Texans.

As I wrote in my initial response, the Texans are showing such improvement on both sides of the ball that I believe they have a good a shot as any to be a championship team this upcoming year. Thier passing offense has shown this year to be as good as any (& we will be getting O.Daniels back at TE, which the Texans offense was clicking on all cylinders before Daniels went down), & if we can go out & get a good RB that could level out the play distribution then I like the Texans chances of at least a spot in the playoff's! :D

Nov 6, 2009
Texas
lumm0x said:

Okay, I'll bite. Let's look at the Texan's 9-7 record in 2009, and I'll show you how close they /could/ have been to 15-1. (Yes. /Could/ have been. Wasn't. I'm not wishing, I'm very realistic about my team. They screwed up.)

1) vs. Jets, lost 24-7. Houston legitimately lost this game. They came out flat and were never really in it to begin with. Total loss all around.
2) @ Tennessee, won.
3) vs. Jacksonville, lost 31-24. This is the game that they were driving in the final two minutes and had a tying touchdown called back on offensive interference, then Chris Brown fumbled the ball in the endzone, and Jacksonville recovered. They had every chance to win this one.
4) vs. Oakland, won.
5) @ Arizona, lost 21-28. Again, Houston shot themselves on this game. Schaub was picked off for the go-ahead score, and then the Cardinals stopped Houston 3 times on the 1 yard line in the final minute. Running game FTL.
6) @ Cincinnati, won.
7) San Francisco, won.
8) @ Buffalo, won.
9) @ Indianapolis, lost 20-17. Dude. It's INDY. Houston missed a chance to send a 3rd game into overtime when Kris Brown pushed the ball left on a last-second field goal. He had a horrible year, also.
10) Tennessee, lost 20-17. Repeat of last week with Kris Brown wide left to tie the game.
11) Indianapolis, lost 35-27. Houston just freaking collapsed, since they were /up/ by 13 at the half and then just .... blew up.
12) @ Jacksonville, lost 23-18. This was the game with the Chris Brown option pass that went /right/ into the defender's hands. Instead of, oh, I don't know....RUNNING INTO THE END ZONE FOR THE WIN.
13) Seattle, won
14) @ St. Louis, won
15) @ Miami, won
16) New England, won.

Realistically, Houston had a shot of winning at least 5 of the 7 games that they lost (lost by 7, could have tied in final minute; lost by 7, could have tied in final minute; lost by 3, could have tied in final second; lost by 3, could have tied in final second; lost by 5, bad play call in the final few minutes), and the Indy game that they were up 13 at the half .....

Let's say that they pushed those 5 games to OT, and only won 2. That means that instead of 9-7, Houston would have been 11-5, and a playoff team.

Houston isn't mediocre. They've got the talent, outside of some serious holes (Running Back, Defensive Backs in general). It's mostly the little, mental things that they need to get right to succeed, and I fully believe they will.

BTW, here's the final 2009 stats for the Texans, as another comparison.

Points per Game: 10th with 24.2
Yards per game: 4th with 383.1
3rd Down Percentage: 15th with 40% (needs improvement, but not horrible. Indy was #1 with 49%)
Turnover Rating: 19th with -1 (DEFINITELY needs improvement)
Passing: Houston is #1 in Yards per game, yards per attempt, and total yards.
Rushing: 30th in Yards, Yards per Att, and Yards per Game. MUST improve.
Defense Yards/Game: 13th with 324.9
3rd Down Percentage Allowed: 20th with 39%. Needs heavy improvement, although #1 (the Jets) only had 32%
Rushing Defense, yards/game: 10th with 106.9. This is what everyone was knocking them on after the first 3 games. Remove those 3 games, and Houston's a much better defense. Look for 2010 to be more of the improved defense.

Basically, Houston needs 'tweaks' to fix their issues, mostly. Adding another old, about to retire running back, even one who was a premiere back as far as 2-3 years ago, isn't what they need.

Latest posts