Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1989 World Series Champions OAKLAND A's Auto Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I got this idea from Andy (xxcantgobackxx) I figured i needed something to pass the time since the mcgwire market has been dry. I started this set in August. I aimed at putting a Autograph set together from 1989 Oakland A's. I opened up the layout to include IP Auto's because some of the guys do not have certified auto's. I also wanted the players pictured in a A's Uniform. The entire roster had obscure guys on it, so i decided to go for LaRussa's World Series Post Season Roster. I was surprised to see that Bob Welch was left off the World Series Roster. Anyhow, I'am 2 cards away from completing it. I need Ken Phelps who I am 99.9 sure does not have a card produced of him in a A's uniform. I could be wrong though, and the last card i need is Rickey Henderson. Hopefully i can pick up a Sterling on Card auto. If someone has a Certified Henderson auto in a A's Uni for sale please PM me.

Here is the set so far...

The HOF manager. - Tony LaRussa

Picture006.jpg

Infielders- C-Steinbach - 1B- MAC - 2B - Phillips,Blankenship,Gaiego-SS-Weiss-3B-Lansford

Picture.jpg

Outfielders & DH - Canseco, Henderson, Javier , DH-Parker

Picture005.jpg

Starting Pitchers- Stewart, Moore - Bullpen- Nelson,Burns,Honeycutt, Closer- Eck

Picture007.jpg

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
AWESOME!!!!!!

I've played around with the idea for a while now of doing the same thing. My favorite team and year of all time!!! That season brings back so many memories!!! I was a junior in high school.....

Thanks for sharing!!!

shanks25 said:
AWESOME!!!!!!

I've played around with the idea for a while now of doing the same thing. My favorite team and year of all time!!! That season brings back so many memories!!! I was a junior in high school.....

Thanks for sharing!!!

haha thanks man. You were a junior !!! dammm, i was 6 year old. I vagly remember watching some of the games. I remember staying up late in my parents room watchin the game with my dad. Def a favorite year. And the same year, he also got me the entire set of 89 a's Starting Lineups. granted i opebned them, but later down the road i went out and bought them all again, i remeber coming home from florida and they were all lined up on my bed, as 6 year old a's fan this was awsome!!

here147.jpg

here124.jpg

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Very nice. I'm actually going to do the 04 Redsox at some point in time. All my $ has been tied up in my Miami PC that I just keep putting this off. I'll get to it eventually though

mredsox89 said:
Very nice. I'm actually going to do the 04 Redsox at some point in time. All my $ has been tied up in my Miami PC that I just keep putting this off. I'll get to it eventually though

thanks man. i already obivously had a mac auto, so the most expensive card surprisingly was the LaRussa fan favorites auto which cost 80$. Not expensive and it looks good when its all assembled. Good Luck on your sox set!

Dec 10, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
I need Ken Phelps who I am 99.9 sure does not have a card produced of him in a A's uniform.

He's in one of the Mother's Cookies sets I believe. There was a card I used to laugh at in the set because the guy's face looked like he had just dropped a load in his pants. Im almost positive is was Ken Phelps.

Cool project!

Mark McGwire Museum said:
[quote="Big Mac McGwire":qkrtdsu7]I need Ken Phelps who I am 99.9 sure does not have a card produced of him in a A's uniform.

He's in one of the Mother's Cookies sets I believe. There was a card I used to laugh at in the set because the guy's face looked like he had just dropped a load in his pants. Im almost positive is was Ken Phelps.

Cool project![/quote:qkrtdsu7]

if you have doups let me know!!!

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Great project, but I HATE that team, they and the earthquake crushed my dreams in '89.

Surprised to see Welch was off the WS roster as well, I thought he was supposed to pitch game 3, before the quake.

I might have that '89 Mother's team set, if I do I'll pass it along to you.

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
Big Mac McGwire said:
shanks25 said:
AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

haha thanks man. You were a junior !!! dammm, i was 6 year old. I vagly remember watching some of the games. I remember staying up late in my parents room watchin the game with my dad. Def a favorite year. And the same year, he also got me the entire set of 89 a's Starting Lineups. granted i opebned them, but later down the road i went out and bought them all again, i remeber coming home from florida and they were all lined up on my bed, as 6 year old a's fan this was awsome!!

here147.jpg
My cousin had the whole team set with the stand I thought it was so cool. :oops:

Dec 10, 2008
I can't find my MC sets, but if memory serves me, I think Phelps was also pictured as an A in 1990 Topps, but I'll have to check on that.

Edit: Ok Phelps was in the 1990 A's Mother's Cookies set, #14. He is also pictured an an Athletic in 1990 Topps, and 1990 Bowman (& Tiffany) set. The 1990 Bowman is the better looking of the group, IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts