Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yankees Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
I have recently started up on this project again and can't wait to get it finished. I am putting together a matted frame to put Retired Yankees #'s on display, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Maris, etc. Here are the players I currently have (highlighted) and need.

Scan doesn't show highlights so here's who I currently HAVE. Ruth, Gehrig, Dickey, Berra, Maris and Ford.

RetiredYankeesChecklist.jpg

Requirements for each card include clear face photos, not action and preferably not full body so that you can see the face. Also want each card to represent a Yankees victory in whatever game may be listed. Here are the cards that I currently have.

RetiredYankees.jpg

I can't wait until I get all the cards that I need so I can get the matting done which will be in a Yankees blue and will have plates under each player with their names and number. The middle will feature a cutout in the matting with a print that says something along the lines of "Yankees Legends" and have the NY logo on each side of that. Here is a ROUGH, VERY ROUGH generalization of what it would look like (without the name plates).

YankeesLegendsProto.jpg

Feedback is GREATLY appreciated and if you have any of these cards please let me know. I could use 1-2 of the same card just in case I decide to make a second copy for my friend.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Very cool, cant wait to see it when its done!

Have you considered other matting options? Not that I dont like yours or anything I was just surprised recently when I went to get something framed that they actually have a yankee pinstripe matting. If anything check that stuff out you can use it in the future!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
My favorite modern set is 2001 Topps Tribute Retired Number Edition. Not all of those guys were in the set, but those are friggin' beautiful cards.

EDIT-Boomerjack has the Mattingly relic from that set in his sig above^. NICE!

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
Greg Cleveland said:
Might as well save a spot for #2 while you're at it. You know it's a matter of time.

It's funny you say that because I had written that on my original checklist. I'm just not sure how I want to go about it. I suppose I might as well leave the spot open for him huh?

I didn't realize that Mantle wasn't in that Yankee Legacy set. Any ideas on what card of Mantle I should use? And is there a reason why they didn't include him in the set?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
thejackaryman8 said:
Greg Cleveland said:
Might as well save a spot for #2 while you're at it. You know it's a matter of time.

It's funny you say that because I had written that on my original checklist. I'm just not sure how I want to go about it. I suppose I might as well leave the spot open for him huh?

I didn't realize that Mantle wasn't in that Yankee Legacy set. Any ideas on what card of Mantle I should use? And is there a reason why they didn't include him in the set?

He is a Topps exclusive.

As for what card maybe try a nice reprint?

[ebay:2crf02bu] 390142991868[/ebay:2crf02bu] [ebay:2crf02bu] 390160794790[/ebay:2crf02bu]

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
nyc3 said:
thejackaryman8 said:
Greg Cleveland said:

He is a Topps exclusive.

As for what card maybe try a nice reprint?

[ebay:2pl8hyaf] 390142991868[/ebay:2pl8hyaf] [ebay:2pl8hyaf] 390160794790[/ebay:2pl8hyaf]

If the Mantle is the ONLY card holding you back from getting all of them on the same type of card, I'd highly suggest you get someone from the boards to photoshop you a Mantle on the YSL card background and do it up right. Some of the guys here have high quality printers as well and can get you a finished product that is probably going to look like the actual cards. I think it would look pretty bad to have one oddball card on there of Mantle.

If you don't go this route, I'd suggest a DIFFERENT card background for each player to give it variety across the board.

Just some thoughts. Project looks like a great idea! Would be fun to do with the Sox (for me anyway)!

Good luck! Bill

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll have to ask around to see who can photoshop a Mantle YSL for me. I think that would be the best route to take.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
There is a YSL Mantle card in the 100 card box set that has just a picture of his jersey. It would probably be fairly easy for someone with the know how to put a photo in the slot where the jersey is.
Nice project, by the way.
DANNY

Members online