Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How the mighty have fallen- Alex Gordon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
These prices are a great buy. If he produces, I can see his base chrome getting up to at least $40-$60.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
justinmandawg said:
for 15 bucks, i'd buy 100 of them if anyone has 100 of them setting around.

I know you are a Royals fan but I would have assumed you would be done buying Gordon.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
This is exactly why I do not prospect! A guy like this comes in with tons of hype. Cards sell for crazy amounts of money before he even plays. The guy normally takes 3-5 years before he is productive. The cards drop through the floor. That is when you should buy them up! Chances are Gordon will be a decent player, and the cards may spike a little. Makes no sense to pay the inflated prices out of the gate.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
bodiaz said:
This is exactly why I do not prospect! A guy like this comes in with tons of hype. Cards sell for crazy amounts of money before he even plays. The guy normally takes 3-5 years before he is productive. The cards drop through the floor. That is when you should buy them up! Chances are Gordon will be a decent player, and the cards may spike a little. Makes no sense to pay the inflated prices out of the gate.

any smart prospector would not have paid 100+ for a base rookie card chrome auto knowing the volatility that it presents.

The guy just turned 26 years old a week ago.....I guess that is still young but to a prospector that is a dinosaur ready for retirement.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I still have a Blue Ref that I got for near $170 - obviously way too high for what it is now, but damn, it's a beautiful card. That year's blue with the Royals jersey just makes the card pop.

I think he has something in store for this year - I plan on drafting him in every fantasy league this year.
Wait, then he'll suck.

I need to re-think this.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
trevordchi said:
justinmandawg said:
for 15 bucks, i'd buy 100 of them if anyone has 100 of them setting around.

I know you are a Royals fan but I would have assumed you would be done buying Gordon.

If I'm getting them at 1500.00 for a lot of 100, that's a good buy. He made me a lot of money which i lost on him all over again. Who needs to buy a new car when I had all of those gold refs?

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Back in the day, I posted a thread on the BMB comparing Josh Fields to Alex Gordon. I argued both were producing at similar levels and got flat out blasted by 99% of the people that responded....because everyone was caught up in the Gordon hype.

It is funny how my argument has come full circle (via a trade) and now Fields might take playing time from Gordon. I remember a few members of the BMB say they would do "X" (something unspeakable to themselves) if Fields was outplaying Gordon a few years down the road or they even had comparable stats.

Josh Fields(notes) could wrestle the starting third base job away from Alex Gordon(notes) during spring training.

While it is Gordon’s job to lose, Fields could become the starter with a great spring training and if Gordon falters. Gordon had hip surgery last year and hit .232 in 49 games.

Fields, a former Oklahoma State quarterback, is a right-handed power hitter who hit 23 home runs in 2007 as a rookie with the White Sox and was obtained in a November trade for Mark Teahen(notes). Fields also can play the outfield and first base.

And finally....my signature that resulted from getting sick of the Gordon hype when his cards were first released.

jumping.gif

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
bodiaz said:

Don't you think that a true prospector would have sold when the prices were highest.

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
Marro said:
A post similar to this and how Gordon was gonna be a bust and how prospecting was nothing buy hype...It got me suspended.

I think its funny how just the other night in the chat room we were talking about Gordon, and now this. And people are still trying to justify buying him ::facepalm::

Shep

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
shepsspot said:
Marro said:
A post similar to this and how Gordon was gonna be a bust and how prospecting was nothing buy hype...It got me suspended.

I think its funny how just the other night in the chat room we were talking about Gordon, and now this. And people are still trying to justify buying him ::facepalm::

Shep

Hahaha, I know and it is really funny. I still cant justify spending a decent amount of cash on a player who has done nothing at all. Drop the amount of cash on a player and hope they get placed high on a list or an invite to spring training then sell? Like the guy who told me that stats have nothing to do with prospecting, It's all about the hype. I rather till the player becomes someone after a few years of great ball, Buy a nice rookie and sit on it and maybe flip it. But people can do what they want with their money and do what they want with cards. I just prefer collecting my way.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
bigredmachine said:
Anyone think Moustakas will be the next Gordon?

How so? Even if Mous completely fails, he will not be the next Gordon. Gordon was far more hyped and one of the "can't miss" guys.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Funny, I think this entire thread could read the same (other than some of the comps) replacing Gordon for Delmon (who incidentally was my biggest prospecting mistake ever as I totally got swept up in the hype.)

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Funny, I think this entire thread could read the same (other than some of the comps) replacing Gordon for Delmon (who incidentally was my biggest prospecting mistake ever as I totally got swept up in the hype.)

At least Gordon, from what I can tell, has a DECENT head on his shoulders. Anyone who watched Delmon throw the bat at the umpire and still bought his cards after that was incredibly foolish.

I know most people bought prior to his incident but many saw that as a time to load up when prices hit "rock bottom".

Members online

Latest posts