Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need some Vintage Help - 1955 Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
I think I am going to start the task of putting together the 1955 Topps set. I would be looking to do it all in PSA form.

A few questions. I see sets being sold as say PSA 5 with some cards higher and lower. Is that grade truly just the average of all the grades, or is it better to have all cards at PSA 5 + when selling something like that.

Is it worth getting the PSA subscription which would give me access to the SMR and that stuff?

I don't really know much of anything about vintage, but this set has Clemente and Koufax RC's and I think a PSA 5 would be SOMEWHAT affordable and a ton of fun. If anyone has done anything like this or has any feedback, please let me know. All help is appreciated.

thanks,
zach

G

Most registry set collectors will set a minimum grade they will accept into their registered graded set and work from there. In the case of a PSA 5 set, there may very well be 6s, 7s, etc. and it's important to request a complete and thorough checklist if purchasing a large graded lot or complete graded set.

Most collectors will attempt to match their grades so the majority of the cards should be PSA 5 in a case like that. However, if they purchased raw cards for their set and submitted them directly, or crossed cards over from an SGC/***/BVG slab, and they graded higher than a '5' most collectors would not 'downgrade' the card.

My advice to you would be something along the lines of this ... commons in a '7', stars and minor HOFers in a '6' and the 'big' cards like Clemente and Koufax in a '5'. It'll give the set a bigger premium and you'll have an easier time selling it off piecemeal if you get a third of the way done and lose steam.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm three cards shy of this set being done missing only the Clemente and two high numbered commons. I went into the Army in 2004 about 5 cards shy of the set. I sent in all of the HOFers to be graded by PSA. I had one come back a 7, one came back a 3, and the rest came back as 5's. I can tell you right now that if you go after PSA 5's for the set, you won't be disappointed as they look great! Even the three looks good but it's got a surface crease on the upper left front corner that killed it.

Anyway, it's a fun and fairly simple set to put together. Have fun as I know I did!

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
PSA 5's are usually very appealing to the eye when it comes to 50's cards,As far as you question,without seeing the listing my guess is some smuck thinks the average would be around a PSA 5.

Members online

Latest posts