Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Congrats Yanks, you now have the 5 highest paid AL players

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
JVC said:
Pending Manny Ramirez' signing somewhere of course.

I highly doubt Manny will be a Yankee.

Getting Manny instead of Tex would have been too smart of a move for the Yanks to make. They have these crazy visions of Tex being some beloved player in NY.

I wonder what flavor Kool-Aid they drink?

F-Topps

Dec 2, 2008
Los Angeles
Tex put up similar numbers to Manny last year. Tex is also entering the better years of career while Manny has should see a decline in his numbers. Tex is also a gold glove defender and Manny is probably the worst in baseball.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
:evil: I think i threw up a little coming home and seeing that on espn.com

Honestly my first thought was that this is ridiculous and I'd not even care about next season because one team spending almost half a billion dollars (in this economy) is a joke.
Now though I don't even consider myself a Red Sox fan, but I'll root for any team to beat the Yankees - if that can happen next year this would be the best season ever if they crash and burn.

What makes this even more sickening to me is they keep pointing out the fact they have all the money because of the new stadium....but did anyone see the OTL story that examined how the Yankees lied to the public and all the shady ways they received government funding and public money and screwed over a ton of communities? Could have used this money to ACTUALLY fund the entire operation.

tonyrios

Aug 11, 2008
Brooklyn
I only count four (Jeter, A-rod, Sabathia, Tex).
They're not going to get Manny.
I don't see the big deal about having a large budget, what teams would do it differently if they had the budget to spend?

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
rymflaherty said:

Honestly my first thought was that this is ridiculous and I'd not even care about next season because one team spending almost half a billion dollars (in this economy) is a joke.
Now though I don't even consider myself a Red Sox fan, but I'll root for any team to beat the Yankees - if that can happen next year this would be the best season ever if they crash and burn.

What makes this even more sickening to me is they keep pointing out the fact they have all the money because of the new stadium....but did anyone see the OTL story that examined how the Yankees lied to the public and all the shady ways they received government funding and public money and screwed over a ton of communities? Could have used this money to ACTUALLY fund the entire operation.

"Half a billion dollars"??? You do realize those contracts are spaced out over the next 5-8 years, right? The amounts they are paying this season are $22-23mil each to Sabathia and Tex and $16mil to Burnett.

You do realize the Yankees payroll is still over $25 million LESS than it was last year, right? They had $88million come off their payroll this winter... and have paid a total of roughly $60 million to Sabathia, Burnett, & Teixeira. They could still give Manny what he wants and have a cheaper roster than last year's team.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
tonyrios said:
I don't see the big deal about having a large budget, what teams would do it differently if they had the budget to spend?

Burnett.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Casey2884 said:
rymflaherty said:

"Half a billion dollars"??? You do realize those contracts are spaced out over the next 5-8 years, right? The amounts they are paying this season are $22-23mil each to Sabathia and Tex and $16mil to Burnett.

You do realize the Yankees payroll is still over $25 million LESS than it was last year, right? They had $88million come off their payroll this winter... and have paid a total of roughly $60 million to Sabathia, Burnett, & Teixeira. They could still give Manny what he wants and have a cheaper roster than last year's team.

Nice that no one gets a pay raise or arbitration. Please ignore the deal **** signed too.

tonyrios

Aug 11, 2008
Brooklyn
JVC said:
tonyrios said:

Burnett.

No sir. He's not in the top 5 highest paid AL players.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Casey2884 said:
rymflaherty said:

You do realize the Yankees payroll is still over $25 million LESS than it was last year, right? They had $88million come off their payroll this winter... and have paid a total of roughly $60 million to Sabathia, Burnett, & Teixeira. They could still give Manny what he wants and have a cheaper roster than last year's team.[/quote

Hey Casey long time bro. All this is true but that aint saying a whole lot about last years team. This was like the Giambi signing. Tex can play a gold glove defense being the only real difference. This signing seems excessive even to this Yankee fan. Boston and several other are offering 170 why not go a bit more to get your guy. 10 million difference in this madness is just a drop in the bucket. Its all getting funny.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Who cares?

when you look at who they are signing and who retired.. they are just replacing players that retired for the most part..

As in most succesful businesses, you have to spend money to make money...

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Pinbreaker said:
Who cares?

when you look at who they are signing and who retired.. they are just replacing players that retired for the most part..

Depends on your definition of success here. Making money or winning championships?

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
tonyrios said:
JVC said:
tonyrios said:

Burnett.

I'm not quite sure what Ichiro's salary is for next year but based off his 2008 numbers, Burnett is paid more for 2009.

tonyrios

Aug 11, 2008
Brooklyn
JVC said:
tonyrios said:
JVC said:
tonyrios said:

Burnett.

I'm not quite sure what Ichiro's salary is for next year but based off his 2008 numbers, Burnett is paid more for 2009.

Ichiro's pay varies year by year based off of his numbers? I don't get what you're saying at all.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
JVC said:
Pinbreaker said:
Who cares?

Depends on your definition of success here. Making money or winning championships?

If the last 15 years is any indication of their success they have done fine.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
tonyrios said:
JVC said:
tonyrios said:
JVC said:
tonyrios said:

Burnett.

Ichiro's pay varies year by year based off of his numbers? I don't get what you're saying at all.

My bad, did the math wrong. So 5 of the top 6 (Burnett is tied with Torii Hunter)

DetroitTigers

Aug 19, 2008
Canada
Who next Manny? Is Pujols a free agent? What could you expect from the Yankees they missed out on the playoffs last year so they are trying to buy themselves a championship. The MLB will be putting a salary cap in the near future because of this mockery, giving tons of money to player that don't deserve it. Have the Yankees ever made a good signing, I am not talking about signing good players and calling that a good signing but getting a bargain for a good skilled player, the answer is no. It won't be the pressure of winnning a championship now in New York it will be the pressure what if we don't win we will be a joke of baseball and all sports.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts