Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

how do you ask for the player to sign?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I was just writing to Chone Figgins, and I wrote a great letter, (I usually do with the players I know more about) and it seems that I shot the entire thing down with "Can you sign my card?" so do you hit them at the end or lead them into it?

sabresfreak

Sep 5, 2008
If you have the chance could you please sign my card. I usually put something like this near the end of my letter.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
A typical TTM letter from me

Dear *insert player*

I'm a big fan of the Braves and yourself. If it's not to much to ask, could you please sign the enclosed card(s)? Thank you so much for your time and good luck this season.
Your Fan
Blake

Usually, I'll put something brief between sentences 1 and 2 specific to the player. I'll also obviously change the wording of the first sentence if they are no longer with the Braves, like I was a big fan of yours during your time in Atlanta. That has been the format of 99.9% of my TTMs.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I dont. I just think it's somewhat embarassing to ask for an autograph like a child asking for candy. If I can pay for it via a signing or through a charity then I am ok with it, but simply spamming them with TTM requests, or walking up to a grown man with a pen and a smile is something I just can not do. I know this will not be a popular answer here, but it's my honest feelings on the matter.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
matfanofold said:
I dont. I just think it's somewhat embarassing to ask for an autograph like a child asking for candy. If I can pay for it via a signing or through a charity then I am ok with it, but simply spamming them with TTM requests, or walking up to a grown man with a pen and a smile is something I just can not do. I know this will not be a popular answer here, but it's my honest feelings on the matter.

I know where you are coming from. But I figure everyone knows who the guys are that wont sign, so if they don't want to sign, they wont get bothered. I am not selling to make a buck like alot of guys. I am building the A&G sets with my sons. Alot of fun and not to expensive.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Popping the question via letter is different than IP... I have only ever "asked" (doesn't include leaning over the dugout or waiting until the guy leaves the radio booth amongest a row of people), maybe once or twice have I asked for an autograph.

We have a guy that was born not too far from here, who played in the pros. He was at Twinsfest promoting something, and I straight up asked him at my first fest. Once a couple years later, Bert Blyleven was at a town not to far from us playing a charity game. I had a poster that I made for the Twins game before it, and was very sad when the lady said we could only get 1 item signed, so I went dow to his dugout and slid it through the bars... he singed it and inscribed the crap out of it. I also asked Wally the Beerman for his autograph that night. Then a couple months ago I asked John Gordon.

Otherwise I get my friends to do it for me. I was at a christian assembly thing where a metalcore band came down from Brainerd, and I had my friend get their autographs on a pizza box, and there was a world-record holder that came to our school this year, I wasn't able to attend the program he was putting on for the community, so I asked my friend who was with the group that brought him in to get me his auto. She did and I still have it

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Here is what I do:

Dear Mr.....

Thank you for looking at your fan mail! I have one card for you to sign in the smaller envelope. Thank you (first name) and have an outstanding 2010 season! Your 19 year old fan,

John

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
So paying for an autograph of another grown man makes you feel better about yourself? Face it dude, we're all kind of pathetic for collecting cards and autographs.

matfanofold said:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Piratesfan1418 said:
So paying for an autograph of another grown man makes you feel better about yourself? Face it dude, we're all kind of pathetic for collecting cards and autographs.

matfanofold said:

Exactly, well said!

I am much more satisfied when I pay for a collectable of a player I collect rather than spamming/soliciting for free stuff. However, I wont try and convince you that your not part of your self proclaimed 'pathetic' crowd.

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
Ouch that hurts!

I wasn't trying to be rude. Just honest. My guess is that most athletes that see throngs of fans willing to pay for their autograph (or a piece of cardboard with their picture on it) probably think all of them as strange.

I believe that asking politely for an autograph is more innocent than paying for it. Of course, there are exceptions to every case.

B

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Piratesfan1418 said:

matfanofold said:

I collect cards because it keeps me away from bad things that my money could go for. I don't cosnider that "pathetic"

Don't get me wrong I am not upset, I was just sayin

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
anyway... back on topic.

i write the letter short, but always make shure to sign it, im asking for an auto so the least i could do if give my auto

Members online

Latest posts