Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Russ Martin...Any Faith Left in Him?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
He's my fantasy C, and im wondering if anyone has any faith in him left

He showed up 31lbs heavier for camp, and as a catcher, that means his back/leg injury risk goes up.

Just wondering if any others have more insight on him

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
HPC said:
He's my fantasy C, and im wondering if anyone has any faith in him left

He showed up 31lbs heavier for camp, and as a catcher, that means his back/leg injury risk goes up.

Just wondering if any others have more insight on him

Ouch 31 pounds is alot, I would have thought he would of lost weight and worked out hard following his poor season of last year

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I have faith (but not fantasy faith) in him. It was only one bad season and two would make a trend, but I"m putting him lower on my draft list just in case it's two bad seasons in a row -- I won't be paying much for him if he ends up getting drafted later and if I don't pay much and he returns to form in 2010, then it's a bargain or steal.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
So much of his high value in fantasy was derived from his stolen bases and I can't imagine those will remain with the added 31 pounds. No projection system I've seen accounts for this, so even if you think he'll bounce back offensively from last year, I'd still downgrade him from where he is. I'm not touching him in any leagues.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
I have faith but am very biased. Although 31 lbs is a bit worrisome I hope it helps him get his power stroke back. He just didn't have any power last year and couldn't drive through the ball. Also, his bat speed decreased a lot last year so maybe the extra strength helps there as well. As for the stolen bases I think he made way too many attempts last year and was just too tired to get it done. With a little more selection and some increased power I think the steals will still be above average for the position.

The biggest problem will be that Torre overworks him but he's young and has proven he can get it done at this level so I'm planning on a bounce back year.

Again, I'm biased as he's my favorite player on my favorite team but I do look for better things out of him this year.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I believe the Dodgers have tried to trade him multiple times
For now I would keep him but keep trolling the waiver wire and get a
step up as soon as you can

AndyLaroche#1Fan

May 6, 2009
craiger122003 said:
I havent heard any trade rumors. Idk who we would get for him. We wouldnt be able to play with Ausmus and Ellis behind the dish. We dont have any prospect catchers out there.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
AndyLaroche#1Fan said:
craiger122003 said:
I havent heard any trade rumors. Idk who we would get for him. We wouldnt be able to play with Ausmus and Ellis behind the dish. We dont have any prospect catchers out there.
Lucas May.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
His name was brought up many times but mostly as a possible piece of a Halladay trade. Since Martin is Canadian many thought he'd be a good fit in Toronto.

May isn't ready to take his place and Martin's only a year removed from being an all-star so let's not give up so quickly.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Joe Torre should have rested him more.

Look at his last 3 years:

2007- 151
2008- 155
2009- 143

Only Victor and Kurt Suzuki played more games and Russell Martin was 4th out of catchers with AB's showing he was not pulled from games in late innings either.

wlalocal71

Aug 7, 2008
SoCal
Martin is out 4-6 weeks with a strained groin, which he originally injured during baserunning drills last week, and then reinjured trying to swipe a base a few days later... ::facepalm::

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
What I read (I think on ESPN, but may have been elsewhere) was that he gained 25 pounds (still a lot, but not quite 31) and it was the result of a serious regimen to build strength because he wore out last season. Odds are not all the weight is muscle, and he's obviously injured now, but at his age I'd give it a couple more years before even thinking of giving up on him. Hopefully the way he was handled (read: overworked) will not do him in.

Aug 29, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
What I read (I think on ESPN, but may have been elsewhere) was that he gained 25 pounds (still a lot, but not quite 31) and it was the result of a serious regimen to build strength because he wore out last season. Odds are not all the weight is muscle, and he's obviously injured now, but at his age I'd give it a couple more years before even thinking of giving up on him. Hopefully the way he was handled (read: overworked) will not do him in.

I had read the same thing. Claimed he was sick of having warning track power and he hoped to put on some muscle.

vetsgt02

Oct 7, 2008
Trona, CA
I was hoping he would have a hot stat so I could move my stuff of his at a good price but looks like that is out the window.