Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

USPS to Cut Saturday Mail!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
Card Magnet said:
Well, there's a new proposal to cut Saturday mail. Maybe they wouldn't be in debt as much if they didn't start their mailcarriers at $50,000 a year.

* I know this isn't technically football, but it definitely has a huge impact on all of us here to buy/sell/trade as well as TTM collect etc. *

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/02/news/ec ... htm?hpt=T2

$50,000 starting out for a mail carrier is damn near nothing dude. These people don't get enough for what they do.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Ryo1549 said:
Card Magnet said:
Well, there's a new proposal to cut Saturday mail. Maybe they wouldn't be in debt as much if they didn't start their mailcarriers at $50,000 a year.

* I know this isn't technically football, but it definitely has a huge impact on all of us here to buy/sell/trade as well as TTM collect etc. *

$50,000 starting out for a mail carrier is damn near nothing dude. These people don't get enough for what they do.

Driving a mail truck or walking is too much to ask for 50k? A vast majority of people do much worse for much less. Throw in their benefits and it's much more than 50k. They also get all federal holidays off.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
meh, if it stops prices from skyrocketing im fine. there is at least one day a week where i only get about 1 piece of mail.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ryo1549 said:
Card Magnet said:

Here in my small town it is. The average household makes around there or under working longer hours. In bigger cities or something, I"M sure its fine. But not when they're making the same or a bit more than somebody putting in 40+ hours of hard work.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
jeff550 said:
meh, if it stops prices from skyrocketing im fine. there is at least one day a week where i only get about 1 piece of mail.

Wait until you get older, you DON'T want any mail to come because most of them are bills!!! :lol:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Card Magnet said:

I didn't see anywhere in the article that the starting pay for mail carriers was $50K.. Did you pull that number from somewhere? They laid off 40,000 employees, and have a hiring freeze.. I think they should figure out their costs for the year and how much it actually cost them to deliver a piece of mail. Then charge what it actually cost to deliver an item..

Since they don't get any funding from the government unlike other parts of government, what's the issue.. If they need to close on Saturdays, fine.. I actually started to train at the post office back in 1985, and the starting pay wasn't $50K a year..

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Pinbreaker said:
Card Magnet said:

I didn't see anywhere in the article that the starting pay for mail carriers was $50K.. Did you pull that number from somewhere? They laid off 40,000 employees, and have a hiring freeze.. I think they should figure out their costs for the year and how much it actually cost them to deliver a piece of mail. Then charge what it actually cost to deliver an item..

Since they don't get any funding from the government unlike other parts of government, what's the issue.. If they need to close on Saturdays, fine.. I actually started to train at the post office back in 1985, and the starting pay wasn't $50K a year..
Yeah, I pulled it from their report that shows the salary for their workers that you can check up on everyone in your area (or any area).

And in 1985, would you expect the salary to be the same amount as it is 25 years later?

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Pinbreaker said:
Card Magnet said:

Dude, that was 25 years ago!!!! :benson:

For a comparison, minimum wage back then was $3.35 compared to $7.25 this past and current year.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The Post Office is a bleeder, and without being privatized, they will continue to be a bleeder.

They have a ton of restrictions as a government entity, yet receive nothing for it.

Businesses that are operated like the Post Office fail, so the feds ought to either let it fail or let it go private.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
It's about time. IMO they could make saturday delivery in PO boxes (as a paid premium service) for those that need mail 6 days a week.

a little off the saturday delivery topic, but. theyd also save a **** ton of money if they mandated that all mailboxes be on the same side of the road(where its safe to cross the street of course). that would save fuel, labor cost, wear & tear on the vehicles, not to mention the decrease in emissions.

or in these new cookie-cutter developments an apartment style mail location could be used. Here in my apartment complex we have about 350 units. the delivery guy is here for 30-45 minutes stuffing the boxes. Id imagine that a housing development with 350 homes would take 2 hours minimum & run the truck 10-15 miles. Gas mileage in those jeeps sucks ass, especially with all the stop and go driving. i live in a city of 300,000 & the USPS does NOT have a fuel service here. they give the drivers fleet cards to a local gas station. hey pay the same price per gallon as what the general public does(minus any taxes i suppose). so, by saving 1.5 hours of labor (30 bucks) & 15 miles of fuel (2.75) theyve saved themselves $32.75. (im not taking into account wear & tear for this comparison) $32.75 might not seem like a lot, but over the course of a 6 day week its $196.50. over the course of a 4 week month, its $786.00. over a year $9432. multiply $9432 by the # of new developments popping up across the nation. thats a LOT of cheddar.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
They should just start charging $2.00 for first class stamps. Maybe we'll stop getting so much junk mail and ads, and perhaps the postal guys will finally be happy working 6 days a week and the system will survive.