Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A call out for your thoughts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
and prayers (if so inclined) for my mother in law, my wife, and the entire family.

My mother in law had a stroke last night caused by a blood clot in her brain.

She was in surgery for 3 hours last night and was out for 8 hours afterwards.

My wife is up to see her tonight and my wife seems to be doing ok. My brother in law is a mess and I'm not sure how I will handle it tomorrow night when I go see her.

According to my wife, her speech seems to be ok, but she has some loss of movement on her left side.

That is all I know now.

Thank you for everything that you guys do to make life tolerable some times!

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Prayers sent. Hope everything works out for you and your wifes family.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Hope everything turns out all right. Please contact me with any questions. Back in September, by father suffered a "severe" stroke due to a blood clot in his brain. He was unable to speak, eat, or move his right side for almost a month, and slowly regained the ability to speak and eat on his own. He is currently in a longterm rehab facility (its really a nursing home with rehab). He cannot use his right side at all, so he has learned how to do most things left handed. His state of mind was that of a young child for a long time and it can get very frustrating.

Currently he can speak pretty fluently, getting caught on words but its miles ahead of where he was just after the stroke. The diagnosis remains that he will never be able to walk again, but he has been getting some slight movement in his right foot which means his brain has started to create new pathways so there is slim hope that he could end up walking again at some point, but its a long ways away regardless.

Strokes are very weird, in terms of the doctors truly don't know what the future holds. I know from experience that all you want to do is get some sort of response from the doctor but they probably won't give you anything, as they don't want to give false information, since they truly don't know.

The process will be long, and a roller coaster if the stroke was severe enough. If she is speaking pretty well right off the bat I would say its definitely a positive sign in terms of it not being a very severe stroke.

For almost a week after my father had his stroke, he wasn't breathing on his own, and they truly thought it was 50/50 if he would even survive and be able to breathe on his own, so I definitely know where you are at mentally right now.

It sucks, and the recovery process will suck, but it makes any steps of progress that much more enjoyable and happy.

Please feel free to PM or email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or anything about the process as I've been going through it for the past 6+ months.

Mike

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
mredsox89- Sorry to hear that you have had first hand experience with this and I thank you for extending your knowledge and experience to me.

With my mom's cancer in the fall of 08, it was quick, but at the same time slow, if that makes any sense.

This was completely unforeseen and I think that is contributing to the inability to grasp it for my wife and her siblings.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
my mother in law had one several years ago and now lives every two weeks with us . she can read a book out loud word for word but talking is off sometimes . take every day the best you can . i will always say i have the best in her .

RANGERS25

Jan 23, 2009
i dont know you but prayers are with you and your mother in law. life is tough. although people say that life knocks you down and you are supposed to get back up. i will say that life happens to knock people down a lot. feel for you and your wife and her family. hope the wife is ok. been preparing for the day that my wife gets the phone call that her grandmother passes away. her grandmother raised her and her mother abandoned her. so her grandmother is like her mother. dread the day taht comes because my wife will go crazy. i cant fathom my life without my parents so i can understand what the brother might be going through. been through some rough times in life myself. so my prayers will be with your wife, mother in law, brother, and everyone in the family. b strong, they will need it.

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
EddieI had my stroke about this time last year if you guys remember. I understand what you guys are going through. You and your wife need to be very suportive of her. While I was rehabing I found an article about the Wii game system helping out stroke victims with the certain games that you can play. I have a post somewhere on here about it. I'll try to find it and repost it on here for you. Me and my family will keep yours in our prayers. If you have any questions I will try to answer them for you guys. take it easy subpop77

Members online

Latest posts